free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assylum approved-Marrying a USC

I came to the US in 2004 as a graduate student. Never intended to stay here because I had promised my family I'd accept an arranged marriage in exchange for an education. In 2005, I fell in love with an American man but had to leave him and return to my country to honor the promise I made, which broke our hearts. After a lot of abuse and emotional trauma; I escaped from the marriage and returned to the US on OPT. My F-1 was converted to H1B in May 08 through my job but I had already filed for asylum and in July 2008 got a letter stating that my asylum is recommended for approval and a background check is underway. Since my return, the love of my life is back in my life and we want to get married. Our lives have revolved around eachother for nearly 3 years until my culture came in the way and separated us. Now I really want to be his wife but am not sure how it'd affect my asylum. Can I apply for change of status through our marriage? Would the immigration authorities doubt our commitment to each other? should I withdraw my asylum claim right after I file for change of status through marriage to a USC?
    Most important, I am terrified of my family finding out that I am marrying someone here, how easy is it for them to find out?
    I could just wait out the asylum process and not apply for a green card through marriage but my job requires International travel and I'd rather not go through advance parole every time I need to leave the US. How long would it take to get a green card after marriage? ( The arranged marriage ended in divorce and the guy has since remarried but I have no proof of marriage or divorce...women are not trusted with such docs in my culture!!! would that be a problem for our marriage here?)
    Please give me advice.
    Z-Virginia

I came to the US in 2004 as a graduate student. Never intended to stay here because I had promised my family I'd accept an arranged marriage in exchange for an education. In 2005, I fell in love with an American man but had to leave him and return to my country to honor the promise I made, which broke our hearts. After a lot of abuse and emotional trauma; I escaped from the marriage and returned to the US on OPT. My F-1 was converted to H1B in May 08 through my job but I had already filed for asylum and in July 2008 got a letter stating that my asylum is recommended for approval and a background check is underway. Since my return, the love of my life is back in my life and we want to get married. Our lives have revolved around eachother for nearly 3 years until my culture came in the way and separated us. Now I really want to be his wife but am not sure how it'd affect my asylum. Can I apply for change of status through our marriage? Would the immigration authorities doubt our commitment to each other? should I withdraw my asylum claim right after I file for change of status through marriage to a USC?
    Most important, I am terrified of my family finding out that I am marrying someone here, how easy is it for them to find out?
    I could just wait out the asylum process and not apply for a green card through marriage but my job requires International travel and I'd rather not go through advance parole every time I need to leave the US. How long would it take to get a green card after marriage? ( The arranged marriage ended in divorce and the guy has since remarried but I have no proof of marriage or divorce...women are not trusted with such docs in my culture!!! would that be a problem for our marriage here?)
    Please give me advice.
    Z-Virginia

Hello Zara

Welcome to the forum

You have many alternative options in front of you . Are you sure you wish to pursue the asylum??? You are aware that you can never return to your country of origin or you will forfeit the green card.. where as the other options will allow you.

One more thing. dont even think about lying about your marriage on any of those applictions. You will destroy your chances at anything.

Interesting story with twist of exaggeration.
    Michael (Power of ILW)
    Supreme Lord and Chief of ILW.com

File fpr adjustment of status through this USC. Your asylum case will be invalid, but if you have sufficient evidence of the bonafides of this marriage, you should be able to get PR.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zara81:
    Please give me advice.
    Z-Virginia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you all of you for comments and help,
    My asylum interview was pretty traumatic because I had to go through everything that happened during my 2 week long forced marriage back home. Would there be similar questions for the I-484 interview? I do not plan to hide anything about that marriage but it doesn worry me that I have no papers to show its over. All I have are pictures from that wedding and tons of letters, cards, emails and stuff as evidence of my relationship with 'my guy' Do you think all of this would be enough evidence to show a 'bonafide' marriage?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zara81:
    Thank you all of you for comments and help,
    My asylum interview was pretty traumatic because I had to go through everything that happened during my 2 week long forced marriage back home. Would there be similar questions for the I-484 interview? I do not plan to hide anything about that marriage but it doesn worry me that I have no papers to show its over. All I have are pictures from that wedding and tons of letters, cards, emails and stuff as evidence of my relationship with 'my guy' Do you think all of this would be enough evidence to show a 'bonafide' marriage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Place of Origin??? I Dont Expect An Answer, Just Curious!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zara81:
    ( The arranged marriage ended in divorce and the guy has since remarried but I have no proof of marriage or divorce...women are not trusted with such docs in my culture!!! would that be a problem for our marriage here?)
    Please give me advice.
    Z-Virginia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd have to be able to demonstrate that any prior marriages are terminated before marrying again.

I don't like to leave hints on my identity but I am from one of the places where the US is fighting terrorism.