Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To use a lawyer or not?

Hi everyone,

I've already stated this in another thread, but just to refresh... I am Canadian citizen married to an American citizen. We are going to be putting through my application for my K-3 Visa and Green Card etc.

I would like to know if it's necessary to use a lawyer to go through this process, or if we can just do it ourselves? Basically, is a lawyer recommended or not?
    **If you used a lawyer/didn't use a lawyer, please share.
    Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I've already stated this in another thread, but just to refresh... I am Canadian citizen married to an American citizen. We are going to be putting through my application for my K-3 Visa and Green Card etc.

I would like to know if it's necessary to use a lawyer to go through this process, or if we can just do it ourselves? Basically, is a lawyer recommended or not?
    **If you used a lawyer/didn't use a lawyer, please share.
    Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Butterfly

I rather let you answer this question yourself after reading the procedures you will go through, using the hlep of this web site:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...om&page=k3flow

then you will be able to know where you stand.

hiring a lawyer has many advantages and disadvangages, my own experience with my lawyer was very hard, she was very experienced but she gave me the hard time, I felt that I was pushing a car with 4 flat tyres. many promises and many breaking for them, many times I went to her office according to an appointment she herself set for me and then after I reached her office (which is very far from me) she was not there or left a little note that she is sorry that she had an emergency. the best time I met her when I paid her the first time, some of her fees.

She was hard on me, sorry for the coincidence, I do not mean any thing more than just advising you, but she was canadian american.

The only advantage about of hiring a lawyer that they know exactly the rules, but they have other cases not only yours, I can say that they can make you extremely willing to take care of your case yourself after you run out of patience.

My advice, if you are able to read and understand the forms yourself and have patience to read each item and take your time with it you better do it yourself. let us wait for other posters advices

Did it myself, agree with the above poster.

Not difficult, plenty of resources, just a bit painful if you do not like filling in forms.

i am us citizen married to canadian..we are in us..we used a canadian atty. for $5K cad, and although they turned out to be real ****s, the paper work they filled out and lists they sent us made all the difference. we literally tried for 8 months to do it our selves, just too difficult

Thanks to all for the advice... you are being a great help to me!

I would love to hear more from anyone who has gone through this process and about your experiences with/without using a lawyer...

So far, still trying to figure out what we want to do...

Thanks again.

Go to Visajourney

Review what you have to do

Decide if you can do it, not everybody can/wants to.

Make your choice.

We are using a laywer and so far are happy with the work she has done for us.

I am sure we could have done it ourselves, but the peace of mind knowing that all the forms have been filed correctly is worth the cost.

Also I feel that having had her do the filing helps take the worry out of waiting for replies, ya know, when ya waiting for a reply and just wondering if you filed correctly !!

Bottom line.. IMO worth getting proffesional help, this is one of the BIGGEST things you will ever do, make sure its done right.

You can find legal help with K1, K3 and A djustment of status and on this site: www.USImmigrationForAll.com

All the best whatever your path will be!
    Frank G. Becker & Associates
    www.USImmigrationForAll.com

Please do not spam this forum.