free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: freedom of information act requests

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes to get a simple track freedom of information act request response from the INS? All I am asking for is the alien registration file for my great-grandfather and my request has been placed on the simple track. thank you.

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes to get a simple track freedom of information act request response from the INS? All I am asking for is the alien registration file for my great-grandfather and my request has been placed on the simple track. thank you.

Are you the same guy looking for the papers of your grandfather's petition for your father?
    Yes, i remember i have posted about looking for the FOIA and here is what i have found for
    Immigration and Naturalization Service -- Processing of Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) FOIA/PA record requests is decentralized, so requests should be directed to the INS field office nearest your place of residence. If you do not know which office has the records you seek, direct your written or telephone request for the respective INS field office address to:
    Magda Ortiz, Director
    Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act Program
    Immigration and Naturalization Service
    2nd floor, 425 Eye Street, N.W.
    Department of Justice
    Washington, DC 20536
    (202) 514-1722

I supplied the official INS form (that you can downlaod from the INS web-site) and sent it in November 2001.

I later realized that had forgotten to sign it, so I sent in a new one beginning of this year (Febr. or March 2002?) and certified the mail this time ;-)

I received a letter about a amonth later about the amount that was due ($25) or so, I paid that real fast since I received the letter like 3 days before the 10 days to reply expired (again certified). A few weeks after that, I received two (!!) copies of my extensive files. I was very pleasantly surprised how fast it went.

You've got to do everything right, INS will not inform you if anything is faulty in your FOIR request. Good luck.