free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Visa Status with criminal record

I've posted something earlier here but I just have another question. I was arrested for petty theft but later the case was reduced to disturbing the peace with the help of a lawyer. I'm currently on a F-1 student visa and will graduate in two years, I wonder what are my chances that I can change my visa status to H1-B(working visa) with the conviction and arrest record?

I've posted something earlier here but I just have another question. I was arrested for petty theft but later the case was reduced to disturbing the peace with the help of a lawyer. I'm currently on a F-1 student visa and will graduate in two years, I wonder what are my chances that I can change my visa status to H1-B(working visa) with the conviction and arrest record?

...I guess that you should have thought about that BEFORE you abused the hospitality of the American people. You're lucky that you're not back in your country of origin already!

Was the charge reduced by a plea bargain or did the cops/prosecution reduce it because of lack of evidence for petty theft?
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brit4064:
    Was the charge reduced by a plea bargain or did the cops/prosecution reduce it because of lack of evidence for petty theft? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's plea bargain

Disturbing the peace wouldn't qualify as a CIMT. Theft generally does but there is an exemption for petty theft.

Here's a link to a similar case as yours.

I suggest you talk to a good immigration lawyer to double check. We are lay-lawyers on here. Also the length of time ago this happened can have an impact. If it's within the past 5yrs it might cause problems.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Sorry, you will be denied. It shows lack of good moral character.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
    Sorry, you will be denied. It shows lack of good moral character. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but I do qualify for the petty offense exception, isn't that gonna work?

Someone12
    No doubt you informed your future H1B boss about the fact you are a thief, right? If not, please post his name and address, so we can request that he not import thieves....

I read the post, and that guy got his green card even though he was convicted of theft, because he was qualified for petty offense exception.