publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Is there safe passage for turtles?

It's well known that the purpose of a turtle's shell or carapace is to provide protection from natural predators, something that's especially important given that, unlike other species, the turtle lacks natural agility and speed and its foraging style slow and methodical. Turtles often make a lengthy journey to a sunny location with loose soil in which to lay eggs, and return to familiar territory, afterwards, whether it be woodland, burrow or pond.

This is a story of one such turtle, harmlessly making her journey. Enroute to a sunny location in order to nest, she encountered a busy road. Knowing how perilous it could be for a turtle, she made sure she looked both ways before entering the highway. Alas! Out of nowhere came a truck (ex-husband) barreling down the road travelling at full speed ahead and far beyond the posted speed limit. Unsuccessful in her struggle to get out of the way, the truck clipped the turtle, sending her hurtling into the air and onto the shoulder nearby. She tumbled head over heels until eventually she came to rest in the tall grassy verge.

Dazed and shocked that she had narrowly survived death, but very badly bruised, battered but hopeful that the worst had passed, the turtle coiled into her shell to heal and regain courage and strength for a while. Then one day, while resting within the safety of her carapace, she was awakened by a moving sensation. A passerby had noticed the turtle nestled in the grassy verge. Knowing that the shell provided a turtle some natural protection, at first, and as a lark, he began to nudge the turtle gently and playfully with his toe. When he saw no reaction from it, he bent down to take a closer look. Peering inside the darkened carapace he found a badly injured, yet still beautiful creature fully enveloped by the leathery shell.

"What happened to you?" he declared in a warm, compassionate and soft-toned voice. The turtle, still trembling from her recent accident and filled with trepidation didn't reply. Again and again with increasingly more caring and compassionate approaches, the passerby encouraged her to reply. "I'm badly injured" declared the turtle and explained in detail the harrowing experience she'd narrowly survived. "Oh, precious turtle, I'm so sorry for what you have gone through. I had no idea. Forgive my playful nudges, but this is not a life for you to remain within your shell. Please come out!" The turtle didn't reply. And so, declared the passerby, "Precious turtle, you need to breathe and move and eat. Please come out. I'm your guardian angel and I will amble with you across the road so that you can make your way home again!' he declared.

Upon hearing such repeated, seemingly genuine and compassionate encouragement the turtle said, "I am fearful of the road. I don't know if I can trust my abilities to take the perilous course again, please carry me across the road, gentle soul". The guardian angel replied, "No, darling creature, if I were to carry you, you would be dependent upon passers-by to be able to cross in the future. I am not going anywhere and intend to stand by you, but should I ever be called away, momentarily, I want you to have the confidence that you can do this alone". He added, "Don't fear I'm here to help you and will stand by and make sure that you are out of harm's way as you make the trip across the pavement". He further encouraged, "Remember to stretch out your head as far as you can so that you can take a good look in each direction before you move forward, dear turtle".

And so, with some trepidation, but with immense trust in the kindness of this gentle and caring soul, the turtle stuck her head out once again to look carefully both ways, and was immediately bashed over the head by his sledgehammer.

Tomorrow, will be exactly 2 years since I was precariously positioned on the edge, considering whether or not to jump and my friend and guardian angel and I first encountered.

So, as the Bugs Bunny cartoon ends... "That's all folks"!

It's well known that the purpose of a turtle's shell or carapace is to provide protection from natural predators, something that's especially important given that, unlike other species, the turtle lacks natural agility and speed and its foraging style slow and methodical. Turtles often make a lengthy journey to a sunny location with loose soil in which to lay eggs, and return to familiar territory, afterwards, whether it be woodland, burrow or pond.

This is a story of one such turtle, harmlessly making her journey. Enroute to a sunny location in order to nest, she encountered a busy road. Knowing how perilous it could be for a turtle, she made sure she looked both ways before entering the highway. Alas! Out of nowhere came a truck (ex-husband) barreling down the road travelling at full speed ahead and far beyond the posted speed limit. Unsuccessful in her struggle to get out of the way, the truck clipped the turtle, sending her hurtling into the air and onto the shoulder nearby. She tumbled head over heels until eventually she came to rest in the tall grassy verge.

Dazed and shocked that she had narrowly survived death, but very badly bruised, battered but hopeful that the worst had passed, the turtle coiled into her shell to heal and regain courage and strength for a while. Then one day, while resting within the safety of her carapace, she was awakened by a moving sensation. A passerby had noticed the turtle nestled in the grassy verge. Knowing that the shell provided a turtle some natural protection, at first, and as a lark, he began to nudge the turtle gently and playfully with his toe. When he saw no reaction from it, he bent down to take a closer look. Peering inside the darkened carapace he found a badly injured, yet still beautiful creature fully enveloped by the leathery shell.

"What happened to you?" he declared in a warm, compassionate and soft-toned voice. The turtle, still trembling from her recent accident and filled with trepidation didn't reply. Again and again with increasingly more caring and compassionate approaches, the passerby encouraged her to reply. "I'm badly injured" declared the turtle and explained in detail the harrowing experience she'd narrowly survived. "Oh, precious turtle, I'm so sorry for what you have gone through. I had no idea. Forgive my playful nudges, but this is not a life for you to remain within your shell. Please come out!" The turtle didn't reply. And so, declared the passerby, "Precious turtle, you need to breathe and move and eat. Please come out. I'm your guardian angel and I will amble with you across the road so that you can make your way home again!' he declared.

Upon hearing such repeated, seemingly genuine and compassionate encouragement the turtle said, "I am fearful of the road. I don't know if I can trust my abilities to take the perilous course again, please carry me across the road, gentle soul". The guardian angel replied, "No, darling creature, if I were to carry you, you would be dependent upon passers-by to be able to cross in the future. I am not going anywhere and intend to stand by you, but should I ever be called away, momentarily, I want you to have the confidence that you can do this alone". He added, "Don't fear I'm here to help you and will stand by and make sure that you are out of harm's way as you make the trip across the pavement". He further encouraged, "Remember to stretch out your head as far as you can so that you can take a good look in each direction before you move forward, dear turtle".

And so, with some trepidation, but with immense trust in the kindness of this gentle and caring soul, the turtle stuck her head out once again to look carefully both ways, and was immediately bashed over the head by his sledgehammer.

Tomorrow, will be exactly 2 years since I was precariously positioned on the edge, considering whether or not to jump and my friend and guardian angel and I first encountered.

So, as the Bugs Bunny cartoon ends... "That's all folks"!

That's an interesting twist. Thank you for sharing. A child has no fear of falling or hot stoves until s/he falls or gets burnt. One simply cannot unlearn to be afraid overnight.
    I cannot and will not tell you that it is better to come out of your shell. There is a certain amount of peace in knowing you won't get hit over the head as long as you don't stick it out.

Sometimes it seems like it doesn't matter how careful you are. There are people in this world that will hit someone with a sledgehammer no matter what you try to do to prevent it. Make that a sledgehammer with a twist of immigration and it's all the more painful.

I have been kicked, beat up and laughed at more times than I care to remember. I have had my heart broken several times and have lost a small fortune on things I don't even remember. I have been fired from at least a dozen jobs. I have amassed a pile of debt that would drive many people to bankruptcy, paid it off and did it again,three times. I won't even go into the citations for public intoxication.

Yet I am **** glad to be alive and kicking. I always get back up and I would have it no other way.

wow, a dozen?

still learning <~~~~ HR

lol

most were low paying factory jobs when I was in school. BUT NOT ALL tee hee

Who hasn't had these things happen to them? It's part of life and largely a matter of temporary inconvenience that most of us experience at one time or another. Yes, we get back into the game and move forward.

I did. I had hope, but was unprepared for what occurred next and I doubt anyone could be, either.

I have been kicked, beat up and laughed at more times than I care to remember. I have had my heart broken several times and have lost a small fortune on things I don't even remember. I have been fired from at least a dozen jobs. I have amassed a pile of debt that would drive many people to bankruptcy, paid it off and did it again,three times. I won't even go into the citations for public intoxication.

Yet I am **** glad to be alive and kicking. I always get back up and I would have it no other way.

Michael
    I have more posts than Swissnut !!!