50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: how to find joint sponsors

i am married to an us citizen and i am trying to file form i-485. however, i need to find a joint sponsor for form i-864 becasue my husband cant prove his source of income, since he didnt file any tax returns. unfortunately, his parens cant do it either becasue one of them doesnt meet the poverty guidelines and the other one didnt file taxes, either. so now i have no idea who to ask. do any of you have any idea if a lawyer might be able to help me? this really frustrates me because i have been sitting home ever since i got back to the US not being able to work. and we really need my source of income, too. and the only way i can get the work permit is by sending in all these forms completed, right (485,765,G325,864). And i have another question. am i able to go to college while i am trying to file for permanent residency? i mean they ask if i am a citizen or a PR but i am still in the process of applying, so what do i do???

i am married to an us citizen and i am trying to file form i-485. however, i need to find a joint sponsor for form i-864 becasue my husband cant prove his source of income, since he didnt file any tax returns. unfortunately, his parens cant do it either becasue one of them doesnt meet the poverty guidelines and the other one didnt file taxes, either. so now i have no idea who to ask. do any of you have any idea if a lawyer might be able to help me? this really frustrates me because i have been sitting home ever since i got back to the US not being able to work. and we really need my source of income, too. and the only way i can get the work permit is by sending in all these forms completed, right (485,765,G325,864). And i have another question. am i able to go to college while i am trying to file for permanent residency? i mean they ask if i am a citizen or a PR but i am still in the process of applying, so what do i do???

You can ask anyone who is able to add you as a dependent and is still obover the poverty with you added. That doesnt mean they have to file you as a dependent on their taxes but the INS just needs someone who is financial stable. You can ask a friend, co-worker, etc. Once they accept your sponsor, they wont bother with that again as long as everything else is fine. You can go to college and are considered in-state as long as your papers are approved. You might want to contact the college and talk to the counselor there. Good luck.

Even if you came here illegally you can adjust status if you have filed some paperwork before April 30, 2001. This would grandfather you under the 245(i). then you can adjust status w/o leaving the country. Do you have proof that you entered through inpection, or did u just cross the border?

thank you antivirus for your response. i came here legally with a K-1 visa. what will happen if i really cant find a joint sponsor? and do you know if the income has to be gross or net because one possible sponsor has enough gross income but not enough net income.

Hi

I have a question related to the answer given by 'antivirus'.

"You can go to college and are considered in-state as long as your papers are approved."

Does that mean that if I as a LPR file papers for my daughter, she would be under F@B category, she can be considered for in-state tution fees?. Meaning one can ask for in-state tution by way of an approved application being filed ?

GKG

You can ask, but who gets in-state tuition is a matter of college or university policy, for state universities usually a function of state policy.