50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long to get Green Card After Interview?

Hello,

My current status is C9 or C09, I've been working for a few years with an EAD, now the time has come for the green card interview.

I was wondering how long it will take them to mail the green card after the interview? A few weeks?

The reason I'm asking is because my EAD will expire soon, and if the green card will come before EAD I will save about two hundred dollars, which I need because this resident process made me almost broke.

Thanks.

If your application is given final approval at the interview (assuming that your interview is successful and the background checks, etc., have been satisfactorily completed), you will be admitted/approved as a Permanent Resident at that time. Your Permanent Resident Card will be mailed to you, and this may take several weeks or several months.

However, once you have been admitted/approved for Permanent Residency, you will not need an EAD, regardless of whether you have received the actual Permanent Resident Card.

Will they make it clear at the interview that I have been approved or denied as a Permanent Resident, or do they say wait for a letter in the mail?

Also if I get approved do they give you some some of paper you can use to go to the Social Security office to get a new SSN card without that "INS permission required to work" notice?

My EAD expires in February, my interview is in early November. I would love to avoid paying for the EAD renewal. I wonder if they give a refund for a EAD renewal application.

Assuming that your security check has been completed, you will most likely be advised at the interview as to whether you have been approved or denied. Sometimes, they will not make a decision immediately, and you will be advised later by mail...but, I believe that this is relatively rare.

Once you are approved, whether at the time of the interview or later, you may be given an I-551 stamp in your passport (most offices seem to give this stamp, but some do not). The I-551 stamp is valid for one year, and, during its period of validity, is equivalent to the actual Permanent Resident Card.

Once you are a Permanent Resident, you will no longer be issued an Employment Authorization Document.

There is no refund for the cost of EAD renewals. You will need to make a decision as to whether you will apply for a new EAD before your scheduled interview...as it can take several months to process the new EAD.

Great insight from SunDevilUSA.

I had my AOS interview yesterday morning (10/17/2005) and received approval and I-551 stamp and it reads...

"PROCESSED FOR I-551.
    TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
    PERMANENT RESIDENCE
    VALID UNTIL 10-16-06
    EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED."

So, this should suffice for now until I receive the actual green card but the AO at the Garden City NY office were reluctant to give me a specific data by which I should receive the actual card, could be anywhere from 3 - 6 months but that should not matter as I have the stamp now. I was also C09 under section 245.

cheers

MrMoneyPenny: Thank you for the compliment.

Congratulations on becoming a Permanent Resident of the United States.

In a couple of weeks, once USCIS has had an opportunity to update their computer files, you should remember to apply for an unrestricted Social Security Card. You will need to take your passport with the I-551 stamp with you to the Social Security office (they will also check your status with USCIS, which is why you should wait a short while to allow the computer files to be updated).

Hi!
    I recently had my AOS interview (Aug 2, 2005) & my EAD expiration date is Oct 25, 2005.

Before the interview I got a BCIS notice requiring me to re-do my fingeprints & biometrics (Aug 11, 2005).

During the interview The INS officer, issued another finerprint & biometrics appt letter to me so I can have it the same day (Aug 2).
    He said I don't have to renew my EAD because I will received the greencard before my EAD expired (I guess my AOS was approved that time pending the submission of new fingerprints & biometrics)....
    My new fingeprints & biometics were submitted to BCIS on Aug 10 & my AOS was officially approved on Sept 2, 2005 (the BCIS website updated my status Sept 27, 2005).
    We received notices (I-485 & I-130) of approval on Sept 30. I received my 10 yr greencard in the mail on Oct 3.
    If you're interview goes well & you don't have to re-do fingerprints & biometrics & no other problems with your AOS case,...you'll probably be fine.
    I wish you the best!

PCR & MrMoneyPenny:

How long did you have to wait after you got the receipt notice of your application to have actual green card interview?

I mean. Let say, the applications were submitted and the receipt was sent in August 2005; how long do I have to wait for my interview? App were sent to Chicago, IL.

Thanks.

Hi!
    This is my AOS timeline:

AOS filed (Dec 2003) in Colorado. Files sent to NBC Missouri. I think all marraige based are sent to NBC and initial processing is in Chicago.
    Notice of Actions for AOS, I130, EAD received(Jan 27, 2004)
    Address changed (March 2004, from Colorado to Georgia)
    EAD card received (Oct 2004)
    AOS interview letter received last week of July 2005.
    AOS interview in Atlanta (Aug 2, 2005)
    New fingerprint & biometrics (Aug 2, 2005)
    Greencard approved (Sept 2, 2005), BCIS online status, approval was dated September 27, 2005.
    BUT greencard validity states (Sept 2, 2005 to Sept 2, 2005).
    Notices (I-130 & AOS) that greencard is approved arrived in the mail on Sept 30 & actual greencard arrived Oct 3 on the mail.

I hope these helps.

well depends on the state your in. here in maryland they don't stamp passports anymore. You have to wait for the mail for their decision.. and they say this can take up to 6 months. this is not only me but other applicants as well.