Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOTH House and Senate Leaders Agree On No Felony For Undocumented

GOP leaders want immigration bill without felony provision

WASHINGTON The two top Republicans in Congress said today they intend to pass immigration legislation that does not subject illegal aliens to prosecution as felons.

A written statement by Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee did not say whether they would seek legislation subjecting illegal immigrants to misdemeanor prosecution -- or possibly a civil penalty such as a fine.

An estimated eleven million men, women and children are in the United States illegally.

The Republican-controlled House passed legislation late last year that is generally limited to border security measures. It makes illegal immigrants subject to felony prosecution.

Senate efforts to write a broader bill -- covering border security, a guest worker program and a path to citizenship for many of the 11 million in the country illegally -- are gridlocked with lawmakers on a two-week vacation.

Frist has said he intends to bring the issue back to the Senate floor, although he stopped short of a flat commitment.

The prospects for passage of an election-year immigration bill are uncertain.

GOP leaders want immigration bill without felony provision

WASHINGTON The two top Republicans in Congress said today they intend to pass immigration legislation that does not subject illegal aliens to prosecution as felons.

A written statement by Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee did not say whether they would seek legislation subjecting illegal immigrants to misdemeanor prosecution -- or possibly a civil penalty such as a fine.

An estimated eleven million men, women and children are in the United States illegally.

The Republican-controlled House passed legislation late last year that is generally limited to border security measures. It makes illegal immigrants subject to felony prosecution.

Senate efforts to write a broader bill -- covering border security, a guest worker program and a path to citizenship for many of the 11 million in the country illegally -- are gridlocked with lawmakers on a two-week vacation.

Frist has said he intends to bring the issue back to the Senate floor, although he stopped short of a flat commitment.

The prospects for passage of an election-year immigration bill are uncertain.

When the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against the sudden and retroactive application of a newly defined criminal statute it did so reversing a decision of the state's Supreme Court. This was a very loud opinion and one of important weight.
    It's obvious that new statutes cannot be applied to conduct that occurred when such conduct was not criminal. This however leaves the door open for the imposition of fines.
    The plain language of the statute proposed by the House, with no cutoff date or warning period was simply atrocious. Restoration of common sense seems to be, once again, the path to follow for politicians and law makers.

HHAHAHAHA..THEY ARE BEING PRESSURED BIG TIME BY THE IMMENSE RALLY...I BET THEY WERE VERY ANGRY AT KENNEDY ATTACKING THEM IN SUCH A BIG PUBLIC FORUM....THEY KNOW THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE GENEROUS, SO NOW, THEY ARE CLEARLY ON THE DEFENSIVE.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS, THOSE GUYS ARE CLEARLY BACK PEDALLING....THINKING ABOUT IT, MAYBE DEMOCRATS SHOULD REFUSE TO AGREE ON ANY IMMIGRATION BILL UNTILL AFTER THE ELECTION....JUST SIT DOWN AND WATCH THE CONSERVATIVE BASE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY MAKE A MOCKERY OUT OF THEMSELVES...LET THEM DESTROY THEMSELVES HAHAHAHAH..THOSE GUY ARE FEELING THE PRESSURE AND NOW, THEY HAVE TO APOLOGIZE FOR CALLING IMMIGRANTS FELONS....LETS KEEP THE PRESURE GUYS. HAHAHAHA

AMNESTY IS COMING JUNE 16TH 2006

After reading the congressional record it is clear that the felony provisions for illegal status were brought about by visa overstayers. It even mentions the 9/11 hijackers (overstayers) as an example of why illegal status should be criminalized.

Democrats shouldnt compromise with them unless they recognises that a guest worker provision is needed...Saying you will take out the felony charge, is a start but not enought.

More protest should be planned for april 24th, when they will be coming back from the recess.

About a couple week ago, sensenbrenner had to write a letter to the U.S Catholic Arshbishop,telling them that the felony provision would not criminalize humanitarian organization and that they are over reacting, and i was glad the spokeswoman for the US catholic arshbishop rejected the letter and asked for a path to citizenship for the migrants that are already here.

Personally, I don't think there will be a compromise this year. If the pro-immigrant forces were smart, they would wait until next year. It is too much of a risk for them to leave H.R. 4437 on the table and something terrible could come out of the Conference Committee that could make it into law.

If the Administration was smart, they would send out the National Guard to the border and continue to ramp up interior enfocement. There is no need for any new laws to do this. This way they would gain credibility with the majority of voters who are demanding border security. Actions and results speak louder than words and doing this would make passage of any amnesty easier.

I am primarily concened with fairness for U.S. Citizens and Legal immigrants. Every time Congress tries to "fix" immigraton, we get the short-end of the stick. Just look at what happened with the IRCA of 1986 and the IIRAIRA of 1996.

Also, I don't hear anyone in Congress talking about the 3 million people currently waiting to enter the country legally. If anyone should be allowed to enter anad wait inside the U.S. during their adjustment it should be them. I don't think it's too much to ask for illegals to return home and reenter legally once DHS get the internal controls up and ready and the back log is reduced.

To the huge tub of blubber otherwise known as "African American NOT..... Jean". A fact that you illegals fail to recognize is that the democrats don't give a s-h-i-t about you. All they care about is playing politics with your lives..........in addition it was the liberals who refused to allow the Felony status be removed from the House Bill when sensenbrenner tried to introduce an amendment to make illegal status only a misdemeanor.

I'd have to agree with Paddy. The Democratic Leadership in the Senate is more concerned with taking control of the House and Senate than with granting amnesty to illegals. I seriously think they will try to impeach Bush if this happens.

Hell, Sen. Reid is/was one of the biggest ant-immigrant Congressman back in 1993 till recently. I'm sure if he got the House and Senate he'd sell the illegals out. Politics.

Im not really concern with the democrats real motives which is to take over the house & senate and i dont even think the religious group care that this is really their main motives.

The thing that makes generous americans such a myself, arshbiship mahoney and other religious person, 100% sure about is, the democrats are more generous then republicans in general, and democrats well, i shouldnt say republican because i really think there are a lot of generous republicans such as mccain and brownback..the problem with the republican party is that we have those extremist bigots who have too much power in the party..Althought they are small in group, but their anger speaks loudly.