free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Trying to Get Married

Hello everyone

I would be so grateful if you could please help me. I have a few questions, as well as a few notions that need clarification, and there is so much conflicting information online...

First, to offer some background, my fiance and I met while he was studying here on a J1 visa (with the mandatory two-year requirement), and has since graduated and returned home. Based on my research he won't qualify for a waiver because of his profession, as well as the sponsorship of his education.

Assuming that he won't qualify for a visa waiver, we are now researching alternative options that will allow us to marry and reside in the United States much sooner than later.

Can anyone tell me, is he eligible for a Fiance visa? Or is it possible for him to come here with a Visitor visa, marry me, then apply for a change of status, or would the J1's 2-yr. requirement take precedence over everything else?

Again, thank you for your advice. I very much appreciate your help.

-N

Hello everyone

I would be so grateful if you could please help me. I have a few questions, as well as a few notions that need clarification, and there is so much conflicting information online...

First, to offer some background, my fiance and I met while he was studying here on a J1 visa (with the mandatory two-year requirement), and has since graduated and returned home. Based on my research he won't qualify for a waiver because of his profession, as well as the sponsorship of his education.

Assuming that he won't qualify for a visa waiver, we are now researching alternative options that will allow us to marry and reside in the United States much sooner than later.

Can anyone tell me, is he eligible for a Fiance visa? Or is it possible for him to come here with a Visitor visa, marry me, then apply for a change of status, or would the J1's 2-yr. requirement take precedence over everything else?

-N

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frenchgirl12:
    .. would the J1's 2-yr. requirement take precedence over everything else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> yes.. it is my understanding that if one doesn't qualify for a waiver, there is no way around it (can't get immigrant visa or adjust status in the USA).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frenchgirl12:
    Hello everyone

-N </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I am assuming you are a USC. If so, then the K-1 is a possibility; however, the J-1 time requirement takes precedent. Your significant other can come here on a VWP, but it wuold extend that two year requirement based on the number of days here in the U.S. Your significant other can obtain a waiver requirement based on no objection by his home country or by exceptional hardship to your USC spouse. There are others, but these two are obvious based on your post.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

The obvious solution is for you to move to his country.

Hello again...

Thanks for the suggessions.

Although the solution may seem obvious, there are other factors my fiance and I are considering. It might be possible for me to move to Honduras, but we both agreed that we want to explore every option before we make a decision. Again, I really appreciate the constructive feedback, and hope to hear a few more ideas.

Cheers,

-N

Hello again...

Thanks for the suggessions.

Although the solution may seem obvious, there are other factors my fiance and I are considering. It might be possible for me to move to Honduras, but we both agreed that we want to explore every option before we make a decision. Again, I really appreciate the constructive feedback, and hope to hear a few more ideas.

Cheers,

-N </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    How long does your bf have before the end of the two year residency? And what field of specialty does your bf obtain wheh he was in the US on the J-1 visa?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Sorry for the delay...

He returned home July 25th, so he's got 1 year and roughly 9 months of residency left, (which feels like 10 years).

While studying here, he was part of the CASS program, which is partially funded by U.S. Aid, and he studied Water Management.

Hope to hear from you soon...

-N