50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: F1 on optional training changing status to permanent resident

I am an F1 student on my optional training and I was issued a work permit for 1 year. I have been married to a USC for 5 months now and we are now filing for papers to adjust my status.

As we were filing the Affidavit of Support form and while browsing on the INS website we found this statement under the "How do I?" section of the website for Affidavit of support and it states: "There is no need to submit a Form I-864 if the intending immigrant can show EITHER that the intending immigrant has already worked, or can be credited with, 40 qualifying quarters as defined in title II of the Social Security Act"

This can be found on the below link under "Are there Any Exceptions?" section:
    http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...p.htm#arethere

What does this mean? According to our interpretations, it means that if the immigrant (in this case, myself) is currently working then there would not be a need to submit the Affidavit of Support I-864? Is this true? Please, help me with this answer. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

I am an F1 student on my optional training and I was issued a work permit for 1 year. I have been married to a USC for 5 months now and we are now filing for papers to adjust my status.

As we were filing the Affidavit of Support form and while browsing on the INS website we found this statement under the "How do I?" section of the website for Affidavit of support and it states: "There is no need to submit a Form I-864 if the intending immigrant can show EITHER that the intending immigrant has already worked, or can be credited with, 40 qualifying quarters as defined in title II of the Social Security Act"

This can be found on the below link under "Are there Any Exceptions?" section:
    http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...p.htm#arethere

What does this mean? According to our interpretations, it means that if the immigrant (in this case, myself) is currently working then there would not be a need to submit the Affidavit of Support I-864? Is this true? Please, help me with this answer. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you