50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: questions on child support & adoption

I know someone who is in America with a green card and is waiting to become a citizen. He's also getting a divorce at the same time and wants to go back to his country. I'm wondering how can that be if he still has to pay child support (they share custody of the children). If he becomes an American citizen and goes back to his country, do they still make you pay child support/alimony from overseas? And what if one can't afford it? You gotta consider the difference in currency, as well, right? I'm asking because he's saying he's just not going to become an American citizen and will leave the country. Can you do that? I feel really bad for him.

That was just a weird situation that made me curious. This other question is actually for me. My fiance has a son overseas from his first marriage a long time ago. He's 20 yrs old and would like to come to America. Although his father has the means to bring him here, I would like to know if there's any way he can come through me (adoption, or whatever other way)?

Thanks in advance

I know someone who is in America with a green card and is waiting to become a citizen. He's also getting a divorce at the same time and wants to go back to his country. I'm wondering how can that be if he still has to pay child support (they share custody of the children). If he becomes an American citizen and goes back to his country, do they still make you pay child support/alimony from overseas? And what if one can't afford it? You gotta consider the difference in currency, as well, right? I'm asking because he's saying he's just not going to become an American citizen and will leave the country. Can you do that? I feel really bad for him.

That was just a weird situation that made me curious. This other question is actually for me. My fiance has a son overseas from his first marriage a long time ago. He's 20 yrs old and would like to come to America. Although his father has the means to bring him here, I would like to know if there's any way he can come through me (adoption, or whatever other way)?

Thanks in advance

As obnoxious as re-posting is, I really need an answer on the 2nd question, at least, some feedback. I asked in family law and they directed me here.

Child support is legally binding. You'll need to contact a family law practitioner with regard of readjusting the child support's amount if one's income decrease significantly. But one can't just escape the responsibility by claiming not having any money to pay.

As for the 2nd question, why can't your fiancee's petition him directly? Whether he falls under 1st or 2nd category, etc will depend on your fiancee's status.

You can't sponsor him based on your relationship, should you marry his dad. The marriage (and adoption) needed to take place before his 16th birthday. The best bet is for his father to get citizenship and then sponsor him as the child (preferably unmarried) of a US citizen. The following info on sponsorship is from another website:

Immediate relatives are defined as:

spouses of U.S. citizens, including recent widows and widowers
    unmarried people under the age of 21 who have at least one U.S. citizen parent
    parents of U.S. citizens, if the U.S. citizen child is at least age 21
    stepchildren and stepparents of U.S. citizens, if the marriage creating the stepparent/stepchild relationship took place before the child's 18th birthday, and
    parents and children of U.S. citizens related through adoption, if the adoption took place before the child reached the age of 16.