50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I-130 for my dad

Hello all, I have filed an I-130 petition for my father last year. I only filed the I-130 form and I864(aff. of support) but not the I485,G325A, I693. It will be one year this Sept and all I received was a notice of receipt. My father is here as a visitor and have been extending. I didn't try to extend for the 3rd time.
    I had talked to a lawyer and he said we will have to refile a new I130 with the rest of the paperworks. I unfortunately could not afford to hire him to do the paperworks.
    Should I just close that first I130 application and do another application? Is that the easiest thing to do?

HELP!!!
    Thank you kindly..

Hello all, I have filed an I-130 petition for my father last year. I only filed the I-130 form and I864(aff. of support) but not the I485,G325A, I693. It will be one year this Sept and all I received was a notice of receipt. My father is here as a visitor and have been extending. I didn't try to extend for the 3rd time.
    I had talked to a lawyer and he said we will have to refile a new I130 with the rest of the paperworks. I unfortunately could not afford to hire him to do the paperworks.
    Should I just close that first I130 application and do another application? Is that the easiest thing to do?

HELP!!!
    Thank you kindly..

Definately not. Call and follow up with the process. Sometimes it just takes time for this type of petition.

You do not need a lawyer.

You can go to your local INS office with the receipt and have the Information Officers check on the status of the I-130. If it is still pending, then you can file a Reproduction of the first I-130, by completing a new I-130 w/a copy of the receipt of the original I-130 attached to it and all the documentation once again and also the rest of the package, which would include the I-485 and I-765(if needed)and of course the docs for those also, with the correct fees. When you have everything ready, go to the INS office and file them. But because you already filed the I-130 petition w/the appropriate fee, you will not have to pay that fee again(hence, the copy of the original receipt). If the I-130 was approved, the officer can give you a copy of that info and then all you would have to file would be the I-485/I-765. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess I will know when I go to the local INS office. I'll get all the paperworks ready(I485) and another copy of I130 application with the receipt. If the case is still pending what options are there?

Option 1 if case is pending:
    I also called the INS customer service (hold time was very long but I didn't mind). The rep told me I will need to request for the files I130 documents to be transfered over to the local office. Once the local office receives it, I will then be able to give them the rest of the documents(I485,etc). For the meantime, I will need to apply for another B1/B2 extension.

Any other options you may have for this particular situation is appreciated.

Thanks a lot Lis and Justtryintohelp!