free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: > I-130 is approved, now some questions

Hi, my aunt(US citizen) applied for i-130 for my father back in like 2001 or something, I was under 18 at the time and was under child dependent.
    Last week, we got an email saying our i-130 was approved, however, 2 weeks ago, I turned 21. Am i still eligible to continue filing to get my permanent residency?

Since the i-130 was approved for my father, how long(average time) til he can get his green card?

next step is to file for aos right?

we are both in the country at the moment, hence with expired visas.

thank you in advanced

Hi, my aunt(US citizen) applied for i-130 for my father back in like 2001 or something, I was under 18 at the time and was under child dependent.
    Last week, we got an email saying our i-130 was approved, however, 2 weeks ago, I turned 21. Am i still eligible to continue filing to get my permanent residency?

Since the i-130 was approved for my father, how long(average time) til he can get his green card?

next step is to file for aos right?

we are both in the country at the moment, hence with expired visas.

thank you in advanced

Yes, your age was held at 18 for immigration purpose provided you remained unmarried.

This is a bit complicated but I'll try my best to explain-

You and your dad can only apply for AOS if your application was submitted on or before April 30, 2001 (making you 245i). When you do apply, you have to submit evidence that your father was physically present in the U.S. on Dec. 21, 2000.

If you can do AOS, you must wait until your "priority date" or PD is current. Your priority date is the date the I-130 was filed. Once you figure that out, you can check the Visa Bulletin (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_1360.html) every month to see if your PD is current. Click on "Current Bulletin". You would look under the "Family" chart under 4th- write now they are "processing" green cards for applications received on or before June 15 1999 (if your from Mexico or Philippines- even worse). You have another 1-2 years before you can apply for AOS.

Now, about your age- in most cases, those over 21 are no longer eligible to apply as a dependant unless they are covered by CSPA or the Child Status Protection Act. You won't be able to figure out if you are covered or not, however, until your priority date becomes current. Here is how to figure it out:

When your priority date does become current, figure out how old you are (year, months, days). From that age, subtract how long the I-130 was pending (in your case, at least 7-8 years). That will be your CSPA age. As long as that number is under 21, you can apply for AOS. Since it looks as if you just turned 21, I think we can safely assume that you will most likely be covered and will be able to do AOS when your PD becomes current - AS LONG AS YOU STAY UNMARRIED.

Mrs. Mani, does the 245i apply when the application was mailed in on the 30th of April 2001? because we did mail it on the 30th and on the pending page before(ucis website) they said the petition was received on July 25th, 2001.

The physical presence is not a problem but how can we find out if we are 100 percent under 245i?, how do lawyers even find out?

Thank you so much for your response

On the I-130 approval notice, it should have the "received" or "receipt" date on the left side near the top. This date needs to be April 30, 2001 or before. Were any other applications filed on your dad's behalf before that date or is this it?

This was the only thing filed on my fathers behalf.
    I've haven't received the paper copy of the I-130 approval(only email so far).

I have the previous "Notice of Action" paper from along time ago and on the top left "Received Date, it says May 2, 2001" and on the bottom of that "Notice Date, it says July 25, 2001". Do you mean this notice? or the actual I-130 approval notice? Will it say the same thing? If thats the case, I have no hope right?

I've talked one of many lawyers, and this one(before he left his current firm) filed a Freedom of Information Act for us which took him more than a year to get a response from, but according to him, we are under 245i, but since I can no longer get in contact with him, im very unsure and scared actually.

Thank you for your continuing assistance~, i sincerely appreciate it

He didn't give you the FOIA CD? the law firm should still have it even if the lawyer is not there.

I just talked to my brother who told me the files got transferred to his new laywer, who i'll be getting in contact soon. Mrs. Mani, do you know what in the FOIA contains that will determine whether the petition falls under 245i?

The I-130 clearly does not make you eligible because USCIS only received your application on May 2, 2001. However, the FOIA may have a copy of some other filing that makes your father and you eligible for 245i. It could be another I-130 or maybe a labor certification.