publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage GC, Problem with huge Age Difference?

My friend's been here on vistor visa, then on student visa now. Her boyfriend is 60 this year, almost 25 years older than my friend. They have been dating and going out for over 6 years. Now they are planning to get married, is this age difference will cause problem when he applies Green Card for her?

He is born in US and never been married before.

My friend's been here on vistor visa, then on student visa now. Her boyfriend is 60 this year, almost 25 years older than my friend. They have been dating and going out for over 6 years. Now they are planning to get married, is this age difference will cause problem when he applies Green Card for her?

He is born in US and never been married before.

The law (IMFA-86) states that marriage must be bona fide (real, entered in good faith), as opposed to one entered to sircumvent immigration regulations with the purpose of obtaining a GC.

INA doesn't say anything about age difference.

[COLOR:BLUE][B]When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault.

One day it will have to be officially admitted that

So you mean as long as marriage is bona fide, the GC application will be fine?

They've been dating for over 6 years, going together to family parties, high school union, etc. I don't see anything into fake marriage. But the age difference really worries her.

She's actually worked in US for about 4 years, under OPT and H1, now she is in school on F1 pursuing another professional career studying. And he is a professor at university, they met as professor and student.

There's been approved applications with a 30+ age difference. Age difference may alert the officer about some possible indication of fraud, some additional questioning may be required, but by no means is age difference a ground for denial! The same list of factors that may trigger some additional questioning include couples with different races or religions. So, if CIS were to deny applications based on mere suspicions, every interracial couple would be denied, only naturalized mexicans would be able to petition for mexican nationals, only catholics would be allowed to sponsor fellow catholics, and so on.
    You need to understand that age difference is a common thing today, people are free to marry whoever they want but are ONLY allowed to petition for immigration benefits when the marriage is bona-fide. You're also talking about adults, not 18 year olds getting married. Adults are supposed to be serious about marriage, or at least they should, marriage is too much of a big deal to be degraded with sham marriages and fraudulent agreements.
    If you have a bona-fide marriage there should be no problem.
    Feel free to contact an attorney if you have questions.
    -THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">If it were me, when going to the interview, I'd take pictures and other proofs that it is not a recent relationship, that it has been ongoing.</span>

Good point, obviously bona-fide relationships stand a much better chance at passing the "test of time"...
    -THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-