publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Is an adopted minor sibling considered as immediate relative?

Hello everyone,
    I will be applying for my US citizenship next month, I have an adopted sister who is 7 yrs old and my parents are both in their early 60s and retired. If I petition my parents as immediate relatives will my adopted sister have the same priority as them since she is a minor? Or will she be under F4?
    Thanks a lot in advance and I appreciate everybody's response.

Hello everyone,
    I will be applying for my US citizenship next month, I have an adopted sister who is 7 yrs old and my parents are both in their early 60s and retired. If I petition my parents as immediate relatives will my adopted sister have the same priority as them since she is a minor? Or will she be under F4?
    Thanks a lot in advance and I appreciate everybody's response.

It can be tried but I think it's gonna be a very shaky journey with a bunch of red flags along the way. Not meant to give you bad news but the whole thing could be viewed simply as a tricky way to work around the lengthy F4 waiting times.

(Just an opinion - take it or leave it).

huu.. don't know what route Rough Neighbor has in mind...

PR can't petition for parents and siblings.

USC can petition for parents. Dependants (minor children of petitioned parents) can't be included. They (your adoptiv sister in this case) should be petitioned separately - F4 category.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:

USC can petition for parents. Dependants (minor children of petitioned parents) can't be included. They (your adoptiv sister in this case) should be petitioned separately - F4 category. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Opps! that's what I said. S/he's filing an N-400 next month. The OP is toying with the idea of using the adoption route to file an I-130 on behalf of her/his (adopted) sister, thinking of possibly making her her/his own petitionable daughter under F1 category, hence working around the lengthy F4 sister/brother to sister route.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rough Neighbor:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:

USC can petition for parents. Dependants (minor children of petitioned parents) can't be included. They (your adoptiv sister in this case) should be petitioned separately - F4 category. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Opps! that's what I said. S/he's filing an N-400 next month. The OP is toying with the idea of using the adoption route to file an I-130 on behalf of her/his (adopted) sister, thinking of possibly making her her/his own petitionable daughter under F1 category, hence working around the lengthy F4 sister/brother to sister route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not how I read it.

He Sponsors his Parenets

He can Sponsor his Sister, who wasadopted by his Parents.

Assuming they want to come together, the PAents would need to wait for his Sisters petition to become current.

Thanks for the reply, so that means my parents cannot bring her w/ them since the wait time in the Philippines for F4 is about 20 plus years, so by the time her petition gets current she won't be a minor anymore, can she not get a derivative priority since she's a minor?
    I'm not filing the petition right now, I will wait 'til I become naturalized 'coz I know I can't sponsor my parents and sister if I'm not a citizen.
    Anyways, thanks to all that replied.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lexlee1213:
    Thanks for the reply, so that means my parents cannot bring her w/ them since the wait time in the Philippines for F4 is about 20 plus years, so by the time her petition gets current she won't be a minor anymore, can she not get a derivative priority since she's a minor?
    I'm not filing the petition right now, I will wait 'til I become naturalized 'coz I know I can't sponsor my parents and sister if I'm not a citizen.
    Anyways, thanks to all that replied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Parents of adult US citizens are treated as Immediate relatives, with no wait time for visa. But unfortunately there are no derivative benificiaries. So you will have to decide. I think if you can afford, your sister can come to US on F-1 Student visa and your parents can come on their immigrant visas. But it will be very hard to prove for your adopted sister of her non-immigrant intent.