© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa exempt - no I-94/no passport requirement

Filling Out Form I-94
    (11/04/2005)

For nonimmigrant visitors entering the United States with a visa, there is a requirement to fill a Form I-94 (white form). This form has two specific perforated sections to it. The visitor or the carrier representative fills out Form I-94 upon arrival in the United States. The bottom section of Form I-94 is a departure coupon and must be returned to U.S. officials upon exiting the United States.

The information requested on Form I-94 includes:

* Full Name
    * Date of Birth
    * Country of Citizenship
    * Passport Number
    * Airline and Flight Number
    * City Where Boarded
    * Address While in the United States

In addition, there are several fields on the back upper portion designed for immigration related issues such as alien number, student number, and receipt number, which also need to be completed upon arrival to the United States. The back lower portion requests:

* Full Name
    * Birth Date
    * Country of Citizenship

After the successful completion of processing the applicant, a CBP officer stamps the applicant's arrival and departure portions of the completed Form I-94, the passport and the customs declaration. The officer retains the arrival portion of the Form I-94 and returns the departure portion of the Form I-94 and passport to the applicant.

The departure portion of Form I-94 and passport is to be in the applicant's possession at all times until the applicant departs the United States. If an applicant boards a commercial conveyance to depart the United States, the transportation carriers are:

* To remove the departure portion of the Form I-94 from the applicant's passport.
    * Annotate the reverse of the departure portion of the Form I-94 with the facts of the applicant's departure from the United States.
    * Return the departure portion of the Form I-94 to the nearest CBP office.

It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the transportation carriers collect the applicant's departure portion of the Form I-94. If an applicant departs the United States by way of land through Canada or Mexico, it is the applicant's responsibility to return the departure portion of the Form I-94 to CBP prior to his/her

Filling Out Form I-94
    (11/04/2005)

For nonimmigrant visitors entering the United States with a visa, there is a requirement to fill a Form I-94 (white form). This form has two specific perforated sections to it. The visitor or the carrier representative fills out Form I-94 upon arrival in the United States. The bottom section of Form I-94 is a departure coupon and must be returned to U.S. officials upon exiting the United States.

The information requested on Form I-94 includes:

* Full Name
    * Date of Birth
    * Country of Citizenship
    * Passport Number
    * Airline and Flight Number
    * City Where Boarded
    * Address While in the United States

In addition, there are several fields on the back upper portion designed for immigration related issues such as alien number, student number, and receipt number, which also need to be completed upon arrival to the United States. The back lower portion requests:

* Full Name
    * Birth Date
    * Country of Citizenship

After the successful completion of processing the applicant, a CBP officer stamps the applicant's arrival and departure portions of the completed Form I-94, the passport and the customs declaration. The officer retains the arrival portion of the Form I-94 and returns the departure portion of the Form I-94 and passport to the applicant.

The departure portion of Form I-94 and passport is to be in the applicant's possession at all times until the applicant departs the United States. If an applicant boards a commercial conveyance to depart the United States, the transportation carriers are:

* To remove the departure portion of the Form I-94 from the applicant's passport.
    * Annotate the reverse of the departure portion of the Form I-94 with the facts of the applicant's departure from the United States.
    * Return the departure portion of the Form I-94 to the nearest CBP office.

It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the transportation carriers collect the applicant's departure portion of the Form I-94. If an applicant departs the United States by way of land through Canada or Mexico, it is the applicant's responsibility to return the departure portion of the Form I-94 to CBP prior to his/her

The same post in 3 other threads? You're getting a tad obsessive with this.

So, are you saying that Canadians do not need a visa to enter the U.S., and also do not need to complete a Form I-94? How come?

A very long history( dating from before the founding of the two countries), trade relations,education treaties and business treaties. Before 1917, all people entering the US were adjudicated through Canada. Political relations between the two countries are very close and many people living in both countries have close relatives in the other. (I meet people everyday who have relatives in Canada or are Canadians themselves - the same happens in Canada.) Many are dual citizens.

The Northern Border is known as the friendliest peaceful border in the world. In Northern Washington State there is the Peace Arch which is a symbol of the relationship between the two countries.

1.9 billion dollars in trade cross this border every day. It would really slow things down if all those people had to be over loaded with paperwork. Everything would grind to a halt - and it would be a financial mess.

At this time, both governments are trying to figure out what to do about the security issue. At first they were talking passports, but the governors of some US States got together with the provincial premiers and complained that this would freeze the border and they stood to lose millions of dollars in tourist trade alone. People would just not go to either country or go to foreign countries. Only 37% of Americans have passports and it would cost a family of 4 over $400 to get passports.

Much of Hollywood is Canadian. Americans make many of their movies in Canada. Major companies are on both sides of the border - Ford, General Motors, Apple, Microsoft, Wal-mart (ugh)etc. The space arms for the NASA satelites are produced in Canada etc. 60% of the oil imported in the Pacific Northwest is from Alberta.

While some people on this forum seem to hate Canadians and are angered by the freedom between the two countries - we have lived in peace and supported each other for over 3 centuries. Most of us appreciate what each country has to offer - and enjoy the relationship between two great nations.

That's very interesting, dragonlady. Thanks.

While some people mistakenly think Canada is part of the visa waiver program, it's not.

Canadian citizens require neither a passport nor a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada. Proof of citizenship and photo ID at the POE will suffice. But if arriving in the US from a country in the Western Hemisphere, a Canadian must carry a passport, despite the border relationship the two countries have.

Canadian citizens travelling to the US require non-immigrant visas if they are:

treaty traders (E)
    fiancé/es (K1) (K2)
    spouse (K3) (K4)
    spouses of lawful permanent residents (V1)
    and the children of those spouses (V2)
    foreign government officials (A) (G)
    NATO officials representatives and employees if they are being assigned to the US

The new Travel Initiative, requiring passports, will not go into effect until December 2006 for air and water entries between Canada and the USA and not until December 31, 2007 for land border crossings.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Sap,

Do they need an I-94 if they do not require a visa?

No.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

I guess than someone who does consular processing for an H-1B is in status based on the approval notice alone....seeing as they don't need a visa.

Of course then the approval notice for consular processing says right on it that it is not a visa nor should it be used in place of one.