50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I need some help

Hello all, I'm new here and I need some help...unfortunatley I'm afraid I'll get stoned for this My situation is that I was brought to the US by my parents in 1985 (I was 2) on a skilled worker visa from England. We applied for and were issued social security cards, and were able to attend school, as my father continually renewed his visa to stay here. To my knowledge, at some point my parents had applied for citizenship for all of us. Now I was very young through all of this, and I assumed, as I grew up, that we were citizens and all was well. Fast forward to now, I have been married for 7 1/2 years and I recently went to apply for a ss card with my new name and so I could apply for a job, at which time they tell me I am an alien in their system. So I called the USCIS office after a little research and I got a list of forms and filing fees for adjustment of status. The only problem is I don't understand some of the questions and I can't afford a lawyer, and the total of the filing fees will take some time to save, so what is the best route to take so I can stay in the country while I am having my forms processed, etc.? I have two small children and no way to get a passport to go back to England anyway....please help

Hello all, I'm new here and I need some help...unfortunatley I'm afraid I'll get stoned for this My situation is that I was brought to the US by my parents in 1985 (I was 2) on a skilled worker visa from England. We applied for and were issued social security cards, and were able to attend school, as my father continually renewed his visa to stay here. To my knowledge, at some point my parents had applied for citizenship for all of us. Now I was very young through all of this, and I assumed, as I grew up, that we were citizens and all was well. Fast forward to now, I have been married for 7 1/2 years and I recently went to apply for a ss card with my new name and so I could apply for a job, at which time they tell me I am an alien in their system. So I called the USCIS office after a little research and I got a list of forms and filing fees for adjustment of status. The only problem is I don't understand some of the questions and I can't afford a lawyer, and the total of the filing fees will take some time to save, so what is the best route to take so I can stay in the country while I am having my forms processed, etc.? I have two small children and no way to get a passport to go back to England anyway....please help

Try Catholic Charities.

25 years with no SSN?

Hi,

in order to figure out what's the best thing to do now, I think you should back up a little.

Are your parents still in the USA? What is their status? Did they become citizens at some point? If yes, how old were you then?

Hi uscitizentobe and welcome to ILW.

I think regardless of your status here right now, as you are not a US Citizen, the only passport you can have is a British one. Do you still have your old one?

To obtain one you need to apply at the British Embassy in DC.
    Here is the link for the passport services at British Embassy:

British Passports

That will only be the way you can leave the US, as you are still only a British Citizen. When the time comes and you can apply for American Citizenship, you can have still keep the British one too.

As Theone mentioned above, you can try the Catholic Charities who will either help you or refer you to someone who will charge a small fee , working on a sliding scale.

Is it correct in saying that you never renewed your Green card since a child/teen? When did it expire?

Please forgive me for sounding a bit unsympathetic but I don't quite understand why it has taken you so many years to change your name, informing SS, and not realizing you were couldn't be a USC. Apart from a Drivers License, you must have needed ID at some point, even to get married, so to obtain them you need to show something or prove your status here, . I'm confused.

Did your parents say why they didn't apply for Citizenship for you?
    May I ask how old you are now?

My advice is not to leave the country until you have your status here sorted.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
    Try Catholic Charities.

25 years with no SSN? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poster has soc sec #, issued when she got here. She just wanted to change her name on the card.

@ sprint. poster was 2 yrs old in 1985 when she came to usa with parents.

@uscitizen2be

Speak with your parents. Ask them when did they get green cards or if they ever got greencard. If they did get greencard, as them if they received citizenship. If they received citizenship, when they received citizenship.

You said they applied for citizenship 4 the children, ask them what date.

YOu will need to speak with your parents anyway, because if you decide to just adjust status thru marriage, you will need to prove that you came in a legal entrance to the country.

Do not leave the country under any circumstances until you become legal here. Any departure will trigger a 10 year ban and you will not be able to re enter the usa.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">@ sprint. poster was 2 yrs old in 1985 when she came to usa with parents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly me lol
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.