free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: border crossing

i am engaged to a us citizen. i am canadian. an earlier post reflects my questions regarding permits and citizenship.
    in the meantime as i am back and forth from canada-i wonder how i can get my things into the u.s.

and how we can travel together across the borders with my things.

can i bring my stuff across before we are married and before i have a work permit or either/or.

thanks.

If you are moving your household goods to the U.S. there are no restrictions and all come in duty free. You can use a professional mover or move it yourself.

thanks federale.
    can i move my household goods before i get married or have a work permit

thanks.

Originally posted by federale86:
    If you are moving your household goods to the U.S. there are no restrictions and all come in duty free. You can use a professional mover or move it yourself.

Originally posted by J2:
    thanks federale.
    can i move my household goods before i get married or have a work permit

thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if this is okay or not. My sister in law immigrated from Canada and they waited until her K1 was approved before moving her things across the border. Didn't want to raise any suspicions. I would definitely check more into this before taking action, J2.

Technically, the goods can move at any time, however, if you travel with the goods, you have to have the proper status. You, personally, cannot move here until your status is approved. However, obviously your future husband or a professional mover can move the household goods.

I don't know if things have changed but, from my own experience and others that I have heard about, your belongings cannot pass customs until your visa issuance.
    Once you get your K1 say, then you can.
    I am not sure, but they may have shipping company hold it until visa issuance or when you pass POE, or something like that.

In my situ, I had to arrive before my goods did, if they didn't come with me.

Best thing to do is check with a moving or shipping company of the rules.

There is usually duty paid on some items of new, so check that too.
    Rules and forms keep changing, so best to check it out before making that decision.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Wrong, household goods are independent of the owner. In any event, the spouse is a co-owner, so no problem.

Like I said, check the rules.
    J2, unless someone says this is legal advice, still check out forms and latest rules. Don't want you to get into problems because of wrong info.

My husband was also a co-owner Federale, I wasn't allowed.

Are you giving legal advice or just your opinion?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Originally posted by federale86:
    Technically, the goods can move at any time, however, if you travel with the goods, you have to have the proper status. You, personally, cannot move here until your status is approved. However, obviously your future husband or a professional mover can move the household goods.
    Federale - you normally give good advice to people seeking help. Please don't mislead this new person. She needs to wait for her status to change before she tries to move her things across the border.

thanks everyone! i just envision myself crossing the border from canada with my fiance from the US and a load of my things, and not having my tn or h1 or whatever yet and raising suspicions.

i can come and go as i do, as a visitor. and i bring things down sometimes. but a horsetrailer load of household furnishings may make them think that i have no intentions of not coming back to canada. which is not the case.

i am just trying to get the things there that are in storage while i decide which sort of route of passage i need to take.

i want to legitimately move to the us and work in the us. i have to do it properly. for now, i just come and go, as i have things going on in both countries. but in the meantime, it would be nice to send my things down, as i know that they will ultimately, stay there.

sorry to go on and on.....