free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Address

I am an LPR, and my wife and kids are all USC's.

I have learned just the other day that the INS is going to enforce an old regulation that requires EVERY alien to report a change of address within ten days. Honestly, I was never aware of it! I have scores of friends and family members who immgrated to this great nation. I have never heard of anyone complying with it other than those who had cases (AOS, naturalization, etc), pending with the INS. So, I did not notify the INS when I moved to a new home a few months ago. It was an honest mistake, not done knowingly nor willfully. How could I convince the INS of that?

What would happen if I notify them NOW? Could the INS consider it (late compliance) an offense, and punish me with deportation? I can never imagine being away from my family, from my little children even for a minute!

Can anybody please advise?!!

I am an LPR, and my wife and kids are all USC's.

I have learned just the other day that the INS is going to enforce an old regulation that requires EVERY alien to report a change of address within ten days. Honestly, I was never aware of it! I have scores of friends and family members who immgrated to this great nation. I have never heard of anyone complying with it other than those who had cases (AOS, naturalization, etc), pending with the INS. So, I did not notify the INS when I moved to a new home a few months ago. It was an honest mistake, not done knowingly nor willfully. How could I convince the INS of that?

What would happen if I notify them NOW? Could the INS consider it (late compliance) an offense, and punish me with deportation? I can never imagine being away from my family, from my little children even for a minute!

Can anybody please advise?!!

Paulus:

I truly sympathise with you. I sure do! I wonder how the "Land of the Free" could stoop to this level - to that of a Police State!!

I bet millions of law-abiding immigrants and their USC relatives are agonizing over this issue. This is an issue that neither the Republican party nor the Democratic party can ignore when congressional elections are round the corner. I urge all compassionate readers to write to their representatives in Congress to pass legislation overturning this draconian law that, according to Angela Kelley of the National Immigration Forum, can put people in jail or subject them to deportation "for the equivalent of not turning in a library book on time".

Here are some important addresses and phone numbers:

Senator Tom Daschle
    Senate Majority Leader
    509 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
    WASHINGTON DC 20510
    (202) 224-2321
    http://daschle.senate.gov/webform.html

Senator Trent Lott,
    Senate Minority Leader
    487 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510
    Phone: 202.224.6253
    Fax: 202.224.2262
    senatorlott@lott.senate.gov

Senator Edward Kennedy
    Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Immigration
    U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Immigration
    224 Dirksen Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510

senator@kennedy.senate.gov
    Phone (202) 224-7878
    Fax (202) 224-9516

Sen. Sam Brownback, Ranking Member
    U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Immigration
    224 Dirksen Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510
    Phone (202) 224-5225
    Fax (202) 224-9102
    http://brownback.senate.gov/CMEmailMe.htm

Speaker J. Dennis Hastert
    U.S. House of Representatives
    2369 Rayburn HOB
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    speaker@mail.house.gov
    Phone: (202) 225-2976
    Fax: (202) 225-0697

Rep. Dick Gephardt
    House Minority Leader
    1236 Longworth House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515
    Phone: (202) 225-2671

This regulation is way too overboard. Andy's idea is great! I am going to e-mail my congresswoman and both my Senators to register my protest.

Paulus, you are not alone, most immigrants were unaware of this law - at least until now. Send in your new address just to fulfil the obligation. After all, no one is going to look at it. The INS, with its limited resources, can in no way deal with an avalanche of new address forms. Courage, my friend!!

Paulus:

I sincerely believe you have nothing to worry. Yours was an honest, innocent mistake.

To err is nothing but human. After all, how else will the INS explain their issuance of a new student visa to the world's worst terrorist (Mohammed Atta) SIX MONTHS AFTER HIS SUICIDE MISSION at the World Trade Center?

If you don't report your new address, how will the INS know?

If you live in the western states and you drive around a lot, there are many border patrol checkpoints everywhere. Even though you are a permanent resident they treat you with very little respect. They can ask you a lot of questions. Many times they will pull you aside for further questioning and a light search of your vehicle. Also they can do an instant background check on you. It's happen to me many times even though I am from a "US-friendly country".

Some checkpoints are located on:

I-10; I-5; I-40; I-25; I-19.

Make sure you've got your documents if traveling in these parts.

They can do a background check on anyone, not just us aliens

I doubt the INS will know from a traffic stop that you haven't reported your address but if you file more forms and your address is different, they could make a big deal of it if they wanted to.

I haven't told them of my change of address because the address I started out with is my inlaws address and I use it as a permanent mailing address and that's what I put it as on the forms when I filed my paperwork earlier this year.

OK Marie, here's how it works.
    Everybody goes through a checkpoint.
    Agent asks: US citizen or PR
    You say: PR
    He asks let's see your documents. Furthermore he might ask where you are living, where you going and where you are coming from and other questions like that. He will most likely say: Can you pull aside please? There is where you are further interrogated. Trust me it can be very humiliating to go through that shake down. CBS ran a show recently on the US Border Patrol recently.