free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver's License

Is there any way to get a driver's license renewed without a valid greencard, only a social security number?

Is there any way to get a driver's license renewed without a valid greencard, only a social security number?

Yes,if you live in certain states where the legislation was passed to allow illegal aliens obtain D/L.
    I don't know in what States exactly,but you can inquire in your local DMV.
    Good luck.

P.S. I assumed you were here illegaly, or else you wouldn't say "only social security card".
    But in case if you are here legally on any of the non-immigrant visa's, just present your passport vith valid I-94 and that should be it in most states(for purposes of prooving the legal presence in US and identification).

Again, good luck.

I think that is incorrect information from E.:
    Since 9/11 aliens illegally present or out of status are not to be issued driver's licenses. Congress is debating and hasn't issued such an amendment yet, but more or less all states have submitted to this practice as of yet. One state not participating defies the entire purpose of combating domestic terrorism. Note that this is not my definition of who is or who isn't a terrorist, but the potential is thereas we've learned bitterly from 9/11!

IN OREGON YOU CAN STILL GET A D.L. IF YOU ARE ILLEGAL. I GUESS SINCE IN THE STATE OF OREGON SINCE YOU HAVE TO HAVE AUTO INSURANCE TO DRIVE, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LICENSE. I THINK IT IS SMART.

IT CUTS DOWN ON UNINSURED DRIVERS. YOU KNOW PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRIVE ANYWAY TO GET TO WORK, DR APPTS, ETC......WHETHER THEY HAVE LICENSE OR INSURANCE OR NOT!!

Congress has not told all the states what their requirements must be to issue a DL! Every state is different in its identity requirements. About 4 or 5 have no legal presence requirement whatsoever, including Oregon, Tennessee, formaerly NC, and possible now MD. Many do not have a legal presence requirement, -per se, but ask for documents hard to produce without legal presence. However there is *no state* in the entire union that insists on a green card as its only acceptable proof of legal presence. Just an F-1 visa, or any status that includes permission to work is good in any state, I believe. Tourist status is not sufficient, in general. So, the answer to your question is: it depends on what state. The United States does not have a unified license issuing authority as they have in some other countries. However- be aware! You can only legally get a license in the state where you reside! Sometimes foreigners do not realize this part of U.S. licensing law.

An illegal can get a driver license in Nevada, at least, that's how it was a few years ago.
    Have a nice day

In Washington, you can get your license. All you need is your birth certificate and one other piece of ID to prove who you are. It was very easy.

Originally posted by Diana:
    In Washington, you can get your license. All you need is your birth certificate and one other piece of ID to prove who you are. It was very easy.
    Is this Washington State or Washington D.C.?