50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Visa and Marriage question

i was curious to know if someone from another country came to the US on a visitor visa and decided to get married to a USC, can this actually be done and is it wrong to go about it this way? the k-1 fiancee' visa is such a long process! so can you actually get into trouble for marrying on the visitors visa and if so, what is the penalty? also is there any forms that could be filed if the marriage is going to take place anyway? thank you!

i was curious to know if someone from another country came to the US on a visitor visa and decided to get married to a USC, can this actually be done and is it wrong to go about it this way? the k-1 fiancee' visa is such a long process! so can you actually get into trouble for marrying on the visitors visa and if so, what is the penalty? also is there any forms that could be filed if the marriage is going to take place anyway? thank you!

Yes, many people have done it. It is considered "wrong" by the USCIS if you know that you are going to get married when you enter the States on a visitor visa. Your "intentions" are more important than your actions in this case. If you want the process to be the smoothest, wait the few extra months for the fiance visa. You have the rest of your lives to be together.
    Have a nice day

Technically, the part of the law covering AOS says that anyone who has been inspected and admitted to the US can adjust status after marriage to a USC.*

BUT

Since part of the admission process for tourists is proving that you have no intention of remaining in the US, USCIS has been determining with greater frequency that people who enter as tourists and then marry and apply for AOS applied for admission in bad faith. These mala fide nonimmigrants are under the discretion of the USCIS as to whether or not adjustment will be granted. If discretion if refused, the applicant is generally deportable.

Wait for the K1.

*additional ineligibilities may apply

I married my husband while in a B-2 visa. I came here in 2002 from my country to visit him and see how we got along together; we got married 10 months later. I have left the country several times and I have always been under a B-2 visa. Have applied for adjustment of status in March-04 and received my Noas. We have also left the country together, one for our honey moon and the other for spending Christmas/03 with my family and in both opportunities we told the inmigration officer at the entry airport check point that we were married and our intention was to file my papers. In both opportunities they gave me a 6-month period stay. I think that it is not illegal if you do everything in good faith; additionally, it is the fast way to be with your honey