50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what if the immigrant is supporting USC?

I married my USC husband & filed marriage based AOS. Will it be a problem for the affidavit if currently i (the immigrant) am the sole bread earner of the household & my income is way above minumum? I think the affidavit counts for the household income? Currently he is finishing graduate school (has no income) so I am supporting him instead of the other way around... our marriage is genuine.

I married my USC husband & filed marriage based AOS. Will it be a problem for the affidavit if currently i (the immigrant) am the sole bread earner of the household & my income is way above minumum? I think the affidavit counts for the household income? Currently he is finishing graduate school (has no income) so I am supporting him instead of the other way around... our marriage is genuine.

sponsor must be USC or green card holder.

You will need another sponsor; you cannot be the sponsor and beneficiary at the same time. You are the beneficiary, look for a sponsor.

The sponsor can be the USC's parent, siblings, long lost cousins,etc. As long as they meet the minimum income requirement.

Does the co-sponsor need to furnish the 3 years' tax returns?

I am still confused about the beneficiary cannot use her own income to qualify.Thought the beneficiary can use her own assets & income... Is there any citation of law anyone could provide?

If you file joint tax return, you should be ok with just your husband as a sponsor.

I'm married to a USC and I'm the only one working.

It'll be fine!

We have 2004 joint tax return filed, which showed good income (mainly from me but my husband almost met the min. requirement alone coz he had a summer internship at a big Corp). That is the only year we filed joint since we got married in 2004. My husband, the USC, won't have employment until he finds a job upon graduation later this year. Are we safe to pass affidavit? Shall we show assets in retirement & mutual funds?Or shall we definitely have a co-sponser (even just on paper)? Thank you all for your advice.

When I applied for GC based on marriage to USC, I was the only one with income, my wife is USC but at that time was a student. She was in my car insurance policy, my medical insurance policy, etc. No question related to sponsorship were asked on the interview. GC was approved right there.

edgrapes, My husband and I are in the exact same situation - he is on my car insurance & dental plan, and the beneficiary for my 401(k) etc. I feel relieved from reading your experience. THanks.