Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Reply , if anyone has same incident

Hi

Recently my apartment sent me a letter to provide evidence of my Legal Status in USA.

I have been living in USA since five years and have changed several apartments, but no one has ever asked thing like this.

Is this normal from your apartment office to ask for a legal status ? There was nothing mentioned like this in the application when leased the apartment.

Hi

Recently my apartment sent me a letter to provide evidence of my Legal Status in USA.

I have been living in USA since five years and have changed several apartments, but no one has ever asked thing like this.

Is this normal from your apartment office to ask for a legal status ? There was nothing mentioned like this in the application when leased the apartment.

Contact the equal opportunity people in your area to find out.

I'm looking but you can call HUD to find out:

If you wish, you may use the toll-free Hotline number: 1-800-669-9777. (In Washington, D.C. call 708-0836.)

I found that on http://membrane.com/mortgage/fair.html

what does equal opportunity has to do with an apartment complex asking for proof of legal status? Are you saying that anyone who is illegal shouldn't have to answer questions about their status? Give me a break!

I read in the Times that they are allowed to ask for your Immigration status after the events of 9/11.Goodluck

It could do a lot if it is considered "ehnic origin".

I really don't see the problem in them asking, to me it would be just like your employer asking for proof that you can work in the US.

This person wants to find out and I gave them the number to call to find out, that's all.

It is against the law to rent an apartment to an illegal resident. Landlords are getting a bit spooked by the wild and at time arbitrary actions of the INS since 9/11. Some are taking steps to protect themselves. All that being said, I am not sure what you are required to provide and what you are not.

It is a time of uncertainty for immigrants and I suspect that this is just the tip of the iceberg... Rumor (from a police officer friend) has it that other jurisdictions (other than CA and TX which already do) are going to start enforcing the law that states that all immigrants must carry proof of status with them at all times. In other words - if you get pulled over for speeding and do not provide your green card on request - they can take you to jail...

I suspect that this will be tolerated by the majority of Americans until they start telling natural born citizens that they have to carry their birth certificates with them or go to jail!

Yes all immigrants must carry proof of status with them at all times. Again, especially if you live and travel on the road in the western USA it is important to have your documents on you at all times. The INS officers at the various checkpoints will give you a very unpleasant experience if you don't.

Hi:
    Do tourists also have to carry their Passport and I-94 ( or I-94W) at all times, or would it be enough to carry only the I-94 (or I-94W) and/or only a copy of Passport + {I-94 (I-94W)copy or original}

It is not nice to have to carry these dox at all times, if lost = big problem (imagine carrying them in a little "wet bag" while at the beach
    (-:.