free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Married

How do I report a person to immigration.

This is the short history.

I brought her from another country as a girlfriend and married her. We lived together for one year and 11 month. She did not want to be marry and make my life a nightmare. After she received her temporary resident and found a permanent job she moved to another apartment.(In October of 2005).
    Now i want to divorce her and she opposed to divorce. (She just wants her permanent resident).

How can I report her to immigration.

Thanks

How do I report a person to immigration.

This is the short history.

I brought her from another country as a girlfriend and married her. We lived together for one year and 11 month. She did not want to be marry and make my life a nightmare. After she received her temporary resident and found a permanent job she moved to another apartment.(In October of 2005).
    Now i want to divorce her and she opposed to divorce. (She just wants her permanent resident).

How can I report her to immigration.

Thanks

depending on your state divorce laws, you do not need her to sign papers for divorce. it is a contested divorce. it just takes longer to process. check with a divorce lawyer in your state.

I live in New York, NY.

Can you explain me more about a contest divorce.
    because I am afraid to never get a divorce from her.

i really don't know the laws of new york at all. i would contact a divorce lawyer, and start proceedings. unless someone on this site knows differently...sorry

There is only one kind of "uncontested" divorce in New York. You and your spouse have to get legally seperated for one year, then file for divorce. Otherwise you have to file a contested divorce in New York, if she abandoned you, or committed adultery, etc. The other option is to try to get an annulment which means the marriage was never valid. But very difficult to get in New York, esp. if the judge discovers there is a immigration concern. Won't let a spouse force another to get deported by using the courts. I've seen it happen. Judge finds out the wife will get deported if she grants annulment so she refuses and forces the parties to agree to some kind of divorce (usually abandonment). Of course, doesn't come without some cost to the wife. One time the husband filed for annulment and the wife filed for divorce. Judge refused to grant annulment but forced wife to agree to pay over $50,000 to husband for his agreement to divorce.
    Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Thanks for you advice. Still need more information.

I has a lawyer. Does it matter that the lawyer is a woman and I am a man trying to divorce another woman.

How can I report her to immigration. She does not live in my home from November 2005.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JOSE74:
    How can I report her to immigration. She does not live in my home from November 2005. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Senowen gave you some advice - did you read that post? I think what s/he was saying was it's pretty unlikely the courts will allow you to have her deported. (I happen to disagree with this if this was a green-card only marriage which it sure sounds like - but I'm no lawyer).

Jose - 1) It doesn't matter about your lawyer being a man or woman, only matters if your lawyer is good or not. 2) You want to report your wife to immigration. Ok. No problem, call the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office at 26 Federal Plaza. You can probably find the number on the internet. But, what are you going to report? Your wife has lawful status in the U.S. right now. Are you going to tell them that your wife entered into the marriage but didn't really want to marry you? That will produce exactly nothing. You are a disgruntled, jilted husband. ICE doesn't not want to get involved in that situation. The only way that ICE is going to care about your report is if you told them that you and your wife entered into a fake marriage in order to defraud the U.S. government into giving her a green card. You would have to tell them how much money she gave you and have some proof of it. That would probably get her into trouble, maybe deported. But it will also land you in jail for criminal fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, maybe some money laundering charge, tax fraud, etc. [edit: Even if ICE did care about you claiming your wife didn't really want to marry you, if she is really that kind of person she will probably come up with some story that you knew the marriage was fake from the beginning, and that you are now just mad because she refused to pay you money or something.] Something to think about.
    Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com