50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I-765

I have applied for a temporary worrk authorization while waiting for my marriage based green card application to be approved. It has been 61 days since INS received all my documents, and I have not heard a thing, no notice of action...nothing. The thing is I may be offered a job as a staff member at a University, and I am afraid they will pick someone else b/c I don't have the work authorization yet. Is there a way to either speed up the process a little bit if I do get a job offer, or at least find out from INS how much longer they think it will take, even though they haven't sent the notice of action yet.

This is all very frustrating, because I am afraid I might lose a great job opportunity, and good jobs (any job for that matter) are very hard to come by these days.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I have applied for a temporary worrk authorization while waiting for my marriage based green card application to be approved. It has been 61 days since INS received all my documents, and I have not heard a thing, no notice of action...nothing. The thing is I may be offered a job as a staff member at a University, and I am afraid they will pick someone else b/c I don't have the work authorization yet. Is there a way to either speed up the process a little bit if I do get a job offer, or at least find out from INS how much longer they think it will take, even though they haven't sent the notice of action yet.

This is all very frustrating, because I am afraid I might lose a great job opportunity, and good jobs (any job for that matter) are very hard to come by these days.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Have you tried contacting the INS office yet?

Yes I called them, and the guy at INS was very nice and all, but said I have to wait 90 days until I can do anything...at which time I can bring a letter from the employer, and they will give me an EAD at that time. It wasn't clear what 90 days from what...from when I sent the stuff in, or from when the check was processed (which it hasn't been yet), and I haven't received a notice of action yet. A friend of mine who submitted the exact same application a few weeks after me had his check processed by INS a few days ago. They're not very consistent at INS... I suppose all I can do is wait, and hope the employer is willing to do the same :I

I think it's very suspicious that the check isn't processed yet. maybe they didn't get your mail! didn't you send it via certified mail???
    I sent my I-765 to the INS (Texas Service Center) on May 12, received notice of action on May 22, check was processed on May 24. I have no idea if it makes any sense to send a new form to the INS, but in your case I would try.
    Sabine

I know they received it, b/c someone at INS signed for it (I have the name) on May 31, the day after I sent it. I will check again...

I got some encouraging news, and thought I would share in case anyone else is in the same situation. My lawyer spoke with two people at INS, and both indicated that with a real job offer stating what day the employment will start, and that not having the EAD card is the only thing standing in the way from hiring, one can go down to local INS office, and there's a better than 50% chance that they will issue a work permit even if it hasn't been 90 days. Now in my case, my I-765 app. was sent aover 60 days ago, and the fact that it's closing in on 90 days is a helping factor.

I applied to MSC for V status and EAD in March, got receipt notice soon thereafter, had my fingerprints done in April; it has been 100 days since MSC received my fingerprints but to this day no decision. All I keep getting is the recorded message at MSC. If I get a job offer, can I use the 90 day waiting rule that Mark mentioned or is it not applicable in may case? Also any feedback regarding V/EAD/MSC would be appreciated.