publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I'm 20 years old and leaving US 9 years after I-94 expired and was lost..

To anyone who has any information, your help is greatly appreciated.

I am a 20 year old Polish citizen living in the US. I came here on a tourist visa at the age of 11 to visit my dad who was, at the time, here on a student visa (he eventually overstayed and then left the country). I have been living in the US and going to school, like any other kid my age, since that time without ever applying for any legal papers. I graduated from high school in 2007 but found that I could not continue my education without proper papers. I decided to stay in the country and work (for cash) to save up money and wait for possible amnesty to be finally able to continue my education -- to no avail. During this time I developed many friendships, but most notably met my current girlfriend of 2 years. The only family I have here is my uncle, who became my legal guardian when I was 14 (when my dad left the country).

I currently have a plane ticket for Northern Ireland (where I plan to finally attend school) for November 7th.
    I dread this date and having to leave not only my girlfriend but also a way of life and a country I have grown to accept as my own.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any way I could stay in the country legally or in any way be able to come back without the 10 year bar?

2. Is it possible that I will be questioned at the airport regarding my date of entry into the US and the reason for not having my I-94 card?
    If so, what answers are in my best interest?

Again, any help is truly appreciated.
    Sincerely,

Greg

To anyone who has any information, your help is greatly appreciated.

I am a 20 year old Polish citizen living in the US. I came here on a tourist visa at the age of 11 to visit my dad who was, at the time, here on a student visa (he eventually overstayed and then left the country). I have been living in the US and going to school, like any other kid my age, since that time without ever applying for any legal papers. I graduated from high school in 2007 but found that I could not continue my education without proper papers. I decided to stay in the country and work (for cash) to save up money and wait for possible amnesty to be finally able to continue my education -- to no avail. During this time I developed many friendships, but most notably met my current girlfriend of 2 years. The only family I have here is my uncle, who became my legal guardian when I was 14 (when my dad left the country).

I currently have a plane ticket for Northern Ireland (where I plan to finally attend school) for November 7th.
    I dread this date and having to leave not only my girlfriend but also a way of life and a country I have grown to accept as my own.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any way I could stay in the country legally or in any way be able to come back without the 10 year bar?

2. Is it possible that I will be questioned at the airport regarding my date of entry into the US and the reason for not having my I-94 card?
    If so, what answers are in my best interest?

Again, any help is truly appreciated.
    Sincerely,

Greg

I think you should consult an immigration lawyer before you leave the country. They can tell you that if you are eligible to adjust your status. I think in some cases, a person who enters US legally but overstayed can adjust his status.

consult a lawyer, there is a relief for you as you have been here for over 10 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JCWin:
    consult a lawyer, there is a relief for you as you have been here for over 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

20 - 11 = ?

No chance of adjusting since there is no significant impact on a U.S. citizen spouse or child. There is no departure control in the U.S. The airlines collect your I-94. Most illegals in your situation just claim they lost it. However, the airline will make you fill in an I-94 (departure section) so CBP will eventually get your name and date of birth. Depending on the airport, they may also report you directly to CBP and a CBP officer may come question you. You will not be able to fool him saying you lost it, as he can check for your arrival records. If he finds your arrival record or cannot find a record, he may arrest you and create a record of your removal there at the airport.