free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Green Card Lawyers Fees

So happy to discover this site
    Have a quick question: my firm has their own lawyers who did GC for some other people in the office. I asked about the fees and here is what I got:
    1. Lawyers fees: $7,500
    2. INS fees: aprox $1,000
    3. Advertising fees: between $1,000 and $3,000

Can anybody say if these are pretty much the "normal" fees?

Thanks a bunch!

So happy to discover this site
    Have a quick question: my firm has their own lawyers who did GC for some other people in the office. I asked about the fees and here is what I got:
    1. Lawyers fees: $7,500
    2. INS fees: aprox $1,000
    3. Advertising fees: between $1,000 and $3,000

Can anybody say if these are pretty much the "normal" fees?

Thanks a bunch!

Someone12
    it only shows how greedy immigration attorneys are....$7500 for 11 minutes "work"???????

Are you filing for a GC based on a Labor Certification? If so, the fees are reasonable. HOWEVER, if I were you I would not pay them all at once but negotiate for a fee schedule based on the progress of the petition.

For example suppose they advertise for your position and a qualified american applies? You have to start over in a new category or with a new company.

If this happens and if you pay the fees all upfront I doubt the lawyer will file a new case in a new category for free even though the old case fell through.

Sugarpuff, thanks for your answer. Yes, it's on a Labor Certif. They do have a payment schedule, which is $2,000+$2,000+$3,500 as different steps of the application are succesfull.
    Someone 12 - it's a lot more than 10 min of work, not that I like to pay 10K for this GC thing. Thanks.

Bull. The employer and the alien to all of the work.

I find it odd that you, the alien have to pay to advertise the position. You better make sure the attorney is aware of what your boss is passing on to you. I don't say this in an effort to save you money, but to save your labor certification. If you, the alien beneficary become too involved with the search the certification may be denied, or worse canceled (overturned) at a later date post audit.

The PERM is a game of "gotcha" remember that.

Sugarpuff, thanks. I was in shock with the prices for advertising, but yet, the only reason my firm has to advertise and actually interview somebody is for me to get the GC. I won't get involved with the search other then paying the advertising fees...
    Cheers!

But even something as harmless as having you pay for the advertising may be seen by the Dept of Labor as a confilict of interest.

You also have to understand that this is not a mock job search the company is performing. THEY MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE THAT THEY ACTUALLY LOOKED FOR AN AMERICAN THAT MET THE MINIMAL QUALIFICATIONS. If they find one they don't have to hire them BUT they also can not proceed with the Labor Certification for this positin either.

I'm in a similar situation. However, the lawyer my boss and I are going to meet next week (1st appointment) charges a $3500 flat fee for the LC. I am located in the Midwest and prices vary by location.

Sugarpuff, as I understand it is very important that my money - as applpicant - won't be involved, at least not directly, in this process, correct? My employer has to pay for it technically, right?

Yes it is important that you, the current alien employee, not be involved at all in the labor certification process.

Regardless of who writes the check...don't get too close.