50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GOOD! THE BAD! AND THE UGLY!

TRUTH!!!!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

A Damaged Culture

We put individuals ahead of the nation. We put short-term comfort ahead of long-term considerations. We are constantly unable to subordinate the particular to the general, the peculiar to the universal. When the going gets tough, we are prone to seeking out quick fixes that bring momentary relief at the price of further complications down the road.
    Sunday, November 04, 2007
    EDITORIAL " Left behind
    Monday, November 5, 2007 - PHILSTAR.COM

The Philippines has inched up in global competitiveness, according to the World Economic Forum. Still, being ranked 71st among 131 countries in the annual WEF Global Competitiveness Report is not much to crow about, especially when the country is rated behind its Southeast Asian neighbors.

Never mind perennial economic achiever Singapore, which might be unhappy with its ranking at seventh place in the Global Competitiveness Index, ahead of Japan and the United Kingdom. Malaysia's ranking at 21st place was no surprise either; that country left us behind years ago. What should be cause for concern is that the Philippines was rated too far behind Thailand, which placed 28th despite violence and political instability since last year. The Philippines was rated behind even Indonesia, which ranked 54th. Most worrisome of all was that Vietnam was ranked ahead of the Philippines, at 68th place.

The Global Competitiveness Index is based on the quality of infrastructure and institutions, macroeconomic stability, health and primary education, higher education and training, efficiency of the goods and labor markets, sophistication of the financial market, technological readiness, market size, business sophistication and innovation. Some 11,000 business leaders in 131 countries were polled, and their rating for the Philippines is not surprising.

The Philippines placed 55th in business sophistication, 62nd in higher education and training and 64th in goods market efficiency. The United States, with its excellent educational and research institutions and technological innovation, was rated the world's most competitive country, followed by Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Germany and Finland, with Chad getting the lowest rating. Last year the Philippines ranked 77th among 117 countries in the GCI.

Local and foreign business groups alike have long expressed concern over the Philippines' slipping global competitiveness. They have also pointed out the many factors that must be addressed to stop the slide. So far, many of the key concerns have not been addressed. Institutions remain weak. Infrastructure is inadequate, and almost every big-ticket
    infrastructure project becomes bogged down in a corruption scandal. The country now faces a crisis in public health care. Education is a disaster, and there is minimal investment in research and technological innovation. Unless dramatic steps are taken soon, the country will see itself being left ****her behind by its neighbors.

posted by Admin at 7:57 PM 0 comments
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007
    Red tape
    As a foreigner, I have noticed this "why should we care" attitude in government departments during the course of my helping to run a business here. The red tape in the bureaucracy, the gross inefficiencies, the overwhelming time consuming (wasting?) processes and at times sheer laziness of some government staff to give any meaningful assistance or show a real sense of urgency. These are, to my mind, some of the major reasons why foreign business stays away from the Philippines while those already here complain about the difficulty in doing business and getting anything done in a reasonable time frame. And without having to "pay off" someone to achieve it.

One would think such efficiency would make government departments here squirm with embarrassment, but not so. They merely shrug their collective shoulders and don't seem to care. After all, they're not there to serve the public. They are there to look after themselves!!! And the government's spokespeople (i.e. spin doctors) wonder why the country is at or near the bottom of the heap in so many world and regional rankings.

posted by Admin at 9:26 PM 0 comments
    All in the family
    DEMAND AND SUPPLY By Boo Chanco - The Philippine Star 04/04/2007

I am disappointed in my idol, Sen. Joker Arroyo, for saying that political dynasties are good. Perhaps Sen. Arroyo merely wanted to say that it is a fact of life in Philippine politics and it isn't bad per se. It is a cultural thing that cannot be legislated away, no matter that the Constitution frowns on it.

Everywhere you turn today, two or three members of a family are running for public office. ANC reported the other night that a Muslim politician and his three wives are all running for various offices in Basilan. That is taking politics as a family affair to the extreme.

This situation can't be good for the Philippines. In fact, this could be the very reason why good governance is almost impossible within our political system. The "all in the family" tone to politics has alienated most people from taking a more active part in civic affairs. Family-oriented politics have reduced everyone else to outsiders looking in.

Let me put my fears in context. I think we can trace most of our problems today to an anomaly in the national psyche. We do not have a sense of nationhood... we are unable to think as one Filipino nation. Outside of a rare moment as EDSA 1, we are not inclined to put national interest (something quite abstract) above that of ourselves, our families, our friends, our regional ties, etc. That's why corruption scandals normally include family members as principals and accessories. The Garcia and Ligot families, for instance, are implicated in the military financial mess now being litigated by the Ombudsman.

posted by Admin at 9:22 PM 0 comments
    Monday, May 22, 2006
    PAL Operations in LAX
    This is an example of "Our circle of loyalty has a uniquely small radius, limited to family, clan, tribe, ethno-linguistic group, but rarely expanding to cover nation."

Just observe the Philippine Airlines operation in the Los Angeles International Airport. We have seen the damaged culture in action. Passenger at the end of the line can be served first due to personal connection, as a classmate or kaibigan or cousin of one of the PAL employees to the detriment of the 100 or more passengers who showed up one hour earlier.

posted by Admin at 10:20 PM 0 comments
    Friday, May 05, 2006
    LOOKING AT THE SUN
    "The Philippines, A Damaged Culture" was published in the November, 1987 issue of the Atlantic Monthly. An expanded version was included in Looking at the Sun.

posted by Admin at 9:06 AM 1 comments
    Friday, April 14, 2006
    The Human Condition
    A damaged culture by: Tony Joaquin, Oct 27, 2004

AS I monitor our country's daily sufferings made even worse by our articulate and thought provoking Filipino columnists I am saddened, even to the point of depression.

Then, harking back to an American writer who has since been an acquaintance of mine an incisive truly stark analysis of Philippine society hits us between the eyes.

I am referring to James Fallows, associate editor of Atlantic Monthly, who wrote an analysis some 16 years ago about the Philippines. The title of his article was, "The Philippines a damaged culture."

Fallows observed that the Philippines is a "society that had degenerated into a war of every man against every man."

Naturally, our Filipino pride was piqued and rightly so since we get "observers" from time to time who visit Manila for three days and leave being an "authority" of sorts of the country's ills.

Many columnists, veteran ones led by Teddy Beningo "thought James Fallows then was guilty of rank hyperbole, a know-it-all Yankee, jeering and arrogant, who deserved to be lynched."

But alas, 15 years after, this very columnist claims that "this quondam roving correspondent of Atlantic Monthly has turned out to be dead right. Right on every count."

Benigno continues, "We Filipinos indeed have a damaged culture, more damaged even than we think. Thomas Hobbes, the philosopher of stern social discipline, of crowding humankind into a disciplined cage, was certainly describing the Philippines, among others, when he said without order, life was "nasty, brutish and short."

Ferdinand Marcos had a sense of smell better than most when he said the Philippines was "sitting on top of a social volcano" and that was more than 30 years ago.

Historian O.D. Corpuz (Roots of the Filipino Nation) wrote in 1989 that civil war, revolution or a coup could break out in a matter of years. Any day now?
    Then later, upon invitation, we had another sharp critic, Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore, who predicted that our "exuberant democracy" of fiestas and good time would come to no good end.

In 1994, Fallows again wrote in his book, "Looking at the Sun," "The least successful-seeming society in East Asia is the Philippines ... a society most heavily shaped in the American image."

He continued: "This is the largest country the United States ever attempted to colonize. It is the one part of East Asia to embrace most fully the American Way' of two-party elections and an uncontrolled press."

"Except for Burma, the Philippines is the only country in the region where life seems to be moving backward. In the early 1990s Malaysia per capita income was nearly $2,500; Singapore's more than $10,000; Thailand's more than $1,500 and all, of course, were going up. The per capita income in the Philippines has been stagnant at about $700 for several years. By government estimates, roughly two-thirds of the people in the country live below the poverty line, as opposed to about half in the pre-Marcos era."

"Individual Filipinos are at least as brave, kind and noble-spirited as individual Japanese, but their culture draws the boundaries of decent treatment much more narrowly. Because these boundaries are limited to the family or tribe, they exclude at any given moment 99 percent of the other people in the country.

Because of this fragmentation, this lack of useful nationalism, people treat each other worse in the Philippines than in any other Asian country I have seen ... The tradition of political corruption and cronyism, the extremes of wealth and poverty, the tribal fragmentation, the local elite's willingness to make a separate profitable peace with colonial powers all reflect a feeble sense of national interest. Practically everything that is public in the Philippines seems neglected or abused."

Fallows focuses on the 400 years the Philippines spent under Spain's thumb, and following that "the distorting effects of the Philippines' encounter with the United States ... But American rule seemed to intensify the Philippines sense of dependence. The U.S. quickly earned or bought the loyalty of the ilustrados. It rammed through a number of laws insisting on free competition' at a time when Philippine industries were in no position to compete with anyone."

Remember the infamous parity provision? In short, we have a mendicant society with a mendicant leadership with a mendicant culture.

The grossest insult is we are to be pitied and deprecated like Burma.
    That's about as low as low can get.

posted by Admin at 12:14 PM 0 comments
    ACCUSED OF COWARDICE
    ALEX MAGNO: DAMAGED CULTURE
    MANILA, July 20, 2004 (STAR) FIRST PERSON By Alex Magno - As soon as we start arguing with foreign commentators, we begin walking into a quagmire.

Global opinion, not surprisingly, has been harsh on us first, for actually trying to negotiate with terrorists and, second, for withdrawing our token force in disgrace.

We have been accused of cowardice. Our concessions to terrorists have been described as grossly irresponsible, endangering the lives of other nationalities as well as those of our own countrymen by making them more delectable targets for hostage-taking.

The lowest point, I think, was reached this weekend when the radical leftist group Pamamalakaya demanded that American talk show host Jay Leno issue an apology for making comments he was "in no position to make".

It seems the leftists have not only lost their sense of national dignity and collective responsibility to the community of nations, they have lost their sense of humor as well. That is truly tragic.

For those who missed it, Leno in his highly-rated talk show said that the entire Philippine mission to Iraq could fit in a Humvee. He later said that the record for the 100-meter dash was broken recently by Filipino troops hurrying to flee Iraq.

Leno was not being unfair.

Exaggeration, of course, is the essence of comedy. And comedy is most biting when it rests on a grain of truth.

The grains of truth in Leno's comments are that our mission was miniscule to begin with and that it was withdrawn in indecent haste by a government caving in to terrorist demands.

If his comments hurt, the pain is not undeserved.

If we could not stand by our commitment to other nations, we cannot henceforth demand other nations to stand by their commitment to us. If we cannot put national pride above private grief, we ought not to demand respect from other states.

Stop the hewing and the hawing. Let's not try and mystify everybody else with senseless rhetoric about "complex considerations" leading us to trade off national self-respect for some mistaken notion that we are doing all our overseas workers a favor by caving in to terror.

That will not even be correct, to begin with. By caving in to terrorists, we have endangered our own workers overseas. We took a myopic view of the strategic situation and succumbed to shallow emotionalism. Our government allowed itself to be intimidated by cynical leftist groups obviously trying to exploit an emotional moment to mount stale propaganda.

All the hewing and hawing will only expose our insincerity or worse, our own intellectual confusion.

If we cannot stand by our commitment to fight the scourge of global terror, then let us at least find the decency to accept that we are flimsy. If the demagoguery of the leftist groups could not be contained by a government capable of explaining national policy so that it makes sense to every Filipino, then we allow the intellectually bankrupt demagogues to dictate national policy.

If we cannot present a longer horizon of considerations for our people to appreciate, then we lose credibility to the global perception that we are an unreliable nation ready to succumb to every expediency that comes along. We are worthless allies who will break and run at the slightest discomfort. We are an unprincipled country ready to cut a separate peace with every terrorist band.

Last Thursday, on **** Puno Live, I had what I thought was a very revealing debate with the usual mouthpieces of the Filipino Left. It was a debate, I believe, that unmasked their intellectual dishonesty.

Fr. Joe Dizon of Bayan filibustered about why those who took Angelo de la Cruz hostage and beheaded his Bulgarian companion were not terrorists. By trying to assign some noble cause to this murderous band, Dizon seems to be subliminally trying to convince us that the atrocities committed by his friends in the NPA including the on-going hostage-taking of two Army lieutenants in Quezon were not acts of terror.

Liza Masa of Bayan Muna tried to sound profound by trying to redirect the debate to the "context" of an unjust war. That "context" would have given her the pretext to launch yet another tirade against an "imperialist invasion" that would excuse acts of terrorism. That ploy would have distracted us from the real question: the moral repugnancy of any act of terror.

Some half-wit from Sanlakas arbitrarily redefined "nationalism", turning the concept upside down, by claiming "nationalism" meant putting the interest of the individual above that of the nation state. Let me remind that half-wit that the root word of "nationalism" is "nation" and the sentiment describes putting considerations of the national entity above self. His twisted definition actually refers to "individualism", whose root word is "individual" and refers to the sentiment that puts individual interest ahead of the nation.

But let's not belabor the semantics. Our diplomacy and international standing are in a mess. This is a moment of national shame.

The least we could do is to try to understand why we now find ourselves in this mess. Those elements that caused us to bring this upon ourselves are the same elements that explain why our whole development as a nation is in a mess.

We have a damaged culture.

We put individuals ahead of the nation. We put short-term comfort ahead of long-term considerations. We are constantly unable to subordinate the particular to the general, the peculiar to the universal. When the going gets tough, we are prone to seeking out quick fixes that bring momentary relief at the price of further complications down the road.

Some of my friends have needled the unyielding position I have taken on this tragic incident, asking me what I would do if I were in the place of Angelo de la Cruz.

I have pondered that question long and hard. I have decided that even if my own life was on the line, I would not with all due respects to Angelo plead for my survival at the expense of asking my government to humiliate my nation.

That is the dictate of patriotism.

posted by Admin at 11:24 AM 0 comments
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005
    Love of country
    Rodel Rodis, Jul 20, 2005, Philippine News

In his 1987 Atlantic Monthly essay, "Damaged Culture,"
    James Fallows observed that there was a noticeable
    lack of nationalism, or love of country, among
    Filipinos compared to other people in other countries.
    One American he met in Manila explained that "This is
    a country where the national ambition is to change
    nationality" citing a 1982 survey of 207
    Filipino grade school students who were asked their
    preferred nationality. Less than five percent (10
    students) answered 'Filipino.'

Nationalism is valuable because, as Fallows wrote,
    it causes people to look beyond themselves rather than
    pursuing their own interests to the ruination of
    everyone else. Japan is strong because its ethics
    dictate that all Japanese deserve decent treatment. In
    contrast, Fallows notes, Filipino culture places more
    importance on loyalty to one's family,
    compadres, and members of his or her region rather
    than to the nation or people as a whole.

"When observing Filipino friendships," Fallows wrote,
    "I thought often of the Mafia families portrayed in
    The Godfather: total devotion within the
    circle, total war on the outside. And since boundaries
    of decent treatment are limited to the family or
    regional group, they exclude at least 90% of
    the country. Because of this fragmentation - this lack
    of nationalism - people treat each other worse in the
    Philippines than in any other Asian country."

Most Filipinos will tell you that the main cause of
    poverty in the Philippines is the endemic and systemic
    corruption in the Philippines. It is so demoralizing
    that, because of it, many Filipinos want to "change
    nationality."

But a Korean student by the name of Jaeyoun Kim begs
    to differ. In his essay which has been circulating in
    the Internet for years, Jaeyoun wrote: "Filipinos
    always complain about the corruption in the
    Philippines. Do you really think the corruption is the
    problem of the Philippines? I do not think so. I
    strongly believe that the problem is the lack of love
    for the Philippines."

"Let me first talk about my country, Korea. It might
    help you understand my point. After the Korean War,
    South Korea was one of the poorest countries in the
    world. Koreans had to start from scratch because the
    entire country was destroyed completely after the
    Korean War, and we had no natural resources. Koreans
    used to talk about the Philippines, for Filipinos were
    very rich in Asia. We envy Filipinos. Koreans really
    wanted to be well off like Filipinos. Many Koreans
    died of famine"

"Korean government was awfully corrupt and is still
    very corrupt beyond your imagination, but Korea was
    able to develop dramatically because Koreans really
    did their best for the common good with their heart
    burning with patriotism. Koreans did not work just for
    themselves but also for their neighborhood and
    country. Education inspired young men with the spirit
    of patriotism. Many Korean scientists and engineers in
    the USA came back to Korea to help develop the country
    because they wanted their country to be well off.
    Though they received very small salary, they did their
    best for Korea. They always hoped that their
    children would live in a well off country."

Jaeyoun's fervent message to Filipinos is this:
    "Please love your neighbor and country. If you have a
    child, teach them how to love the Philippines.
    Teach them why they have to love their neighbor and
    country."

We can follow Jaeyoun's advice and teach our children
    how to love the Philippines. But can we teach it to
    the leaders of the Philippines?

posted by Admin at 9:32 PM 0 comments
    Our "Damaged Culture"
    The Case For A National Unity Government
    Blas F. Ople - 31 August 1988

There are some Filipino writers who took offense when the theory of a "damaged culture" advanced by American journalist to explain the unrealized potentials of the Filipinos, gained quick currency in the intellectual circles in this country. After all, Jose Rizal much more deeply analyzed and documented this "damaged culture" in his novels the Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. The journalist, James Fallows of Atlantic Monthly, however, undoubtedly updated those earlier insights and made them contemporary with "Smokey Mountain" in Tondo. He was the first newspaperman, local or foreign, to study this phenomenon as a cultutral issue and parlayed it into a morbid attraction for tourists eager to explore the seamy side of Filipino society. (Whoever thought of putting Smoky Mountain on the tourist itinerary must be celebrating a streak of sado-masochiam in the national psyche).

The distinctive attribute of our damaged culture, Fallows wrote, was stubborn incapacity to identify with the public interest so that everyone looks out only for himself or his own kin. The result is a dichotomy between the individual and his society, a glaring absence of the sense of community. He found that absence remarkable even by Southeast Asia standards.

The ubiquitous garbage in the metropolitan region, matched by the exponential growth of urban slums, has not created any sense of crisis, as it would elsewhere, perhaps because the leading families nestled in their self-contained enclaves can look out for themselves. The water crisis is for the masses: the rich have their own individual, customized clean wells. There are few public parks. The rich can afford their own private gardens. Why is it that most Filipinos have not been able to expand their loyalty to family and clan to the wider interests of community and nation? Why the notable absence of public spirit? Why has Rizal Park, hitherto a symbol of the nation's capacity for public cleanliness and discipline, now deteriorated into another showcase of civic incompetence and indifference to the common good?

Certainly democracy is not to blame for these shortcomings. Neither hopeless deadlocks, failures of discipline, nor anarchy in the civic realm are the inevitable consequences of choosing the democratic option. Democracy is not synonymous with public apathy. Properly summoned and led, it can generate the leadership and discipline to overcome its own weaknesses or surmount any crises. But whereas the concentrated powers in an authoritarian society can compel obedience, the centrifugal forces of democracy stand in greater need of leadership so that the vast, dynamic and often unruly energies that thrive on pluralism or free choice can be effectively harnessed for the common good.

Today, almost in direct proportion to the sense of drift that pervades government, leadership has become a nagging issue - and some say a disturbing one - in our country.

This is the text as originally published in the magazine.
    Copyright 1987 Atlantic Monthly Company
    The Atlantic Monthly: November, 1987

posted by Admin at 9:22 PM 0 comments
    No Soul
    By Antonio C. Abaya May 29, 2003 TAPATT Foundation Inc.

The recent publication by Anvil of the Philippine edition of Benedict Anderson?s ?Imagined Communities? occasioned a thoughtful piece by Columnist Raul Rodrigo in Today (May 20) and a personal reminiscence from Columnist Patricio Abinales in the Philippines Free Press (May 17).

I had previously heard of the book but never got around to reading it; I must do so now that it is available at a reader-friendly price. In the meantime, let me comment on Raul?s quote of what must be the essence of Anderson?s thesis: ?(The nation) is imagined as a community, because, regardless of the actual inequality and exploitation that may prevail in each, the nation is always conceived as a deep, horizontal comradeship.?

Raul is correct this ?deep, horizontal comradeship? has continued to elude us Filipinos. Writes Raul: ?Whatever national comradeship we feel is neither deep nor horizontal..?

Why this sense of nationhood has eluded us, and why whatever national comradeship we feel is neither deep nor horizontal, should concern thoughtful Filipinos because it is in the righting of this wrong, in the definition of our national soul, that we Filipinos can redeem and rediscover ourselves. And I do not mean becoming anti-American and anti-capitalist, which in essence is how Marxist-Leninist ideologues, who have transformed this country into a black hole forever lost and wandering aimlessly in time-space, continue to define that soul.

James Fallows wrote that we suffer from a ?damaged culture?. We have a weak sense of nationhood. Our circle of loyalty has a uniquely small radius, limited to family, clan, tribe, ethno-linguistic group, but rarely expanding to cover nation.

To some extent, this is true. Unlike the Japanese or the Koreans or the Chinese or the Indians, we are not heirs to a great and ancient civilization. When the Europeans first came to impose their culture, this archipelago was largely inhabited by animist tribes; only parts of Mindanao had been settled by Muslim colonists from what is now Indonesia..

Unlike the Indonesians, the Cambodians, the Burmese, we have no Borobodur, no Angkor Wat, no Pagan to remind us of a spectacularly rich heritage. The closest that we have in the way of monuments are our Catholic mission churches, some of truly remarkable architecture, but if they remind us of anything it is that we are an anomaly in this part of the world: that we are an outpost of a civilization that has no authentic roots in the indigenous soil.

But the absence of any outstanding monuments to a past civilization has not deterred the Malaysians or the Singaporeans from succeeding in defining their national souls. A task much more complex for them because they are ethnically, linguistically and religiously much more diverse than we are. And yet, look at them, seemingly united in building their nation and going from success to success, and then look at us, forever quarrelling with each other, with a weak sense of nationhood, and going nowhere fast

Judging by their success and our failure, I would say that the difference lies in the political culture and the political leadership.

First, our political culture is defined to a large extent by the political system and values inherited from the Americans: jealously liberal, nominally egalitarian and ideologically protective of the individual (and his family or tribe) rather than the national community.

Political liberalism has not been beneficial to the Philippines. It has allowed Marxist-Leninists to infiltrate and influence practically every sector of Philippine society: media, the clergy, academe, labor unions, student bodies, women?s groups, environmentalists, government employees, public school teachers, fisher-folk, urban poor, peasants, even Congress.

Since Marxist-Leninists will never be content unless and until a communist government is in power, the culture of unremitting protest against everything that smacks of capitalist profit-seeking (oil prices, bus fares, power and water rates, PPA, Bt corn, tuition etc) has been and will continue to be a permanent feature of our political life, magnifying a conflict when there is one, creating one when there is none, crippling the efforts of the government, any government, to arrive at consensus and unity, and all designed to create an environment conducive to their revolution.

(In Malaysia and Singapore [as well as South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia and Thailand], by contrast, communists are pointedly and specifically excluded from their political life under pain of indefinite detention without trial, allowing their governments the stability and civil peace to concentrate on economic development.)

Nominal egalitarianism has helped trivialize our politics and idiotize our masa by opening the doors of public office to anyone with the least common denominators. It is simply inconceivable that a patently illiterate and ignorant person like Erap, or a mere TV news reader like Noli de Castro, can ever be elected prime minister of Malaysia or Singapore, where the idea of setting high standards for public office is not considered offensive to political correctness.

The American glorification of the individual, over and above the community, has created in the Philippines a political milieu where the emphasis is on the rights of individuals, rather than on their responsibilities to the community. Thus in the Philippines, everyone and his grandmother is a vociferous critic of government, but relatively few individuals bother to pay any income tax to allow that government to function.

In Malaysia and Singapore, it is the other way around: there is consensus that there are many circumstances where the good of the community must prevail over the rights of the individual. Thus the good of the greater number is considered more important than the right of individuals to espouse certain political advocacies considered inimical to the greater number.

In such a community-oriented society, it is easier for the political leaders to define the national soul and to nurture a ?deep, horizontal comradeship,? and to define the national soul, among the citizens, than in an individual-oriented one like that of the Philippines. American-style liberalism has stunted the growth of our sense of nationhood.

A further reason for our weak sense of nationhood is the distance in time from the Golden Age of our history ? the Propaganda Movement and Revolution of 1896 against Spain ? to the post-World War II and post-EDSA generations. We have no living memory of our most glorious days as a nation, and whatever we know of that period is mere book-learning, a blur in our collective memory that is soon and easily overwhelmed by the latest must-have fads of the consumer revolution.

Unlike the Vietnamese, who are acutely aware that millions of their fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, and sons and daughters willingly sacrificed themselves for the sake of the motherland. Unlike the Chinese, who were led during their modernizing years by authentic veterans of the Long March. Unlike the Malaysians and the Singaporeans, whose sense of nationhood was forged during the struggle against, first the British, then against the Communists, in the 1950s and the 1960s.

But a major reason for our lack of national soul is the failure of our political leaders, both to articulate and define that soul, and to translate that concept, abstract and ephemeral as it necessarily must be, into concrete programs of governance that would have meaning even to the most humble citizen.

posted by Admin at 9:15 PM 0 comments
    Arroyo's glittering political *****tale unravels
    By Louise Williams July 23, 2005 Sydney Morning Herald

The opening move of her political career was nothing short of inspired.

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo understood the women of the Philippines. So when she stepped out on the campaign trail for the first time more than 10 years ago, she headed straight for the airport and left the country.

While her opponents dragged their bread and circus shows along the potholed streets, the well-heeled Dr Arroyo took some time out in Hong Kong, Singapore and Italy.

About 10 per cent of Filipinos live overseas, a giant diaspora of overqualified overseas workers pushed by poverty into menial jobs. Dr Arroyo was looking for maids, millions of them. The hard currency they earn mopping richer women's floors converts favourably back home; their status and influence are designated by the concrete floors of their family homes, dotted among the dirt and thatch huts of abject poverty.

The maids sent a message back to their villages with their next round of remittances: trust Gloria. In 1994 she won the highest number of votes ever recorded for the Senate. By 2001 she was President, the nation's most powerful woman - bar one.

This week's opinion polls suggest 70 per cent of Filipinos no longer trust Gloria.

How her political *****tale unravelled has something to do with all the President's men. Her husband, son and various in-laws have long starred in tawdry rumours, apparently toting around bags of ill-gotten cash. "Big Mike", the First Gentleman, is gone, dispatched overseas, his wife declaring she is now "married to the nation". At least 10 cabinet members have resigned.

Dr Arroyo may be hanging on to power with the tenacity of a pit bull but it was her voice on those recent wire taps, improperly contacting an election official during vote counting in last year's presidential poll. And that directs responsibility right to her door.

Dr Arroyo is the second woman to lead the Philippines.

She came to office with impeccable credentials; daughter of the respected former president Diosdado Macapagal, who was usurped by the hated dictator Ferdinand Marcos. Her own stellar economic qualifications were widely seen as just what the Philippines needed to drag it out of the mire.

But the story of the first woman to lead the Philippines was always a more compelling tale.

Corazon Aquino, housewife, mother and widow of the assassinated opposition leader Ninoy Aquino, was the figurehead of the massive people's power revolution of 1986, which faced down the troops of the Marcos regime and prevailed. She was a shy, devout Catholic and a reluctant president. She once quaintly pointed out the hair and make-up challenges for a middle-aged woman, should a coup attempt drag her out of bed in the middle of the night. Rumours of corruption swirled around her extended family, too, but never reached her own office.

That Mrs Aquino has stepped back into public spotlight to implore Dr Arroyo to resign carries considerable moral authority.

For all the Philippines' veneer of machismo, female authority is, in fact, common. Matriarchal village structures predated Spanish colonialism in many regions; it was the Europeans who introduced the strange notion that only men should rule.

Twenty years since the fall of the Marcos dictatorship the Filipino people are no better served by many of their elected representatives. Burma aside, the Philippines - once second only to Japan in wealth - is East Asia's least successful nation.

A US essayist, James Fallows, provoked national outrage in 1987 when he challenged the post-Marcos euphoria to suggest the Philippines was "a damaged culture". Lacking useful nationalism, life had "degenerated into a war of every man against every man", he said, with decent behaviour reserved only for family or tribe.

But Fallows's words have since been frequently revisited. Much of the political elite seems unable to separate the obligations of public office from the opportunities for personal gain. Dr Arroyo's predecessor, the one-time film idol Joseph Estrada, is in jail on charges of stealing $US77 million ($100 million) during his brief presidency.

Meanwhile, the Philippines is buried under foreign debt and poverty is deepening; a fertile environment for regional terrorist networks linked to the Muslim south. Perhaps most disheartening is that Dr Arroyo was the great hope for reform.

But, as Mrs Aquino said, "Good and effective government has became an impossible undertaking".

With no obvious, competent successor and an opposition united only in its own quest for power, there is plenty of messy, political manoeuvring to go. But Dr Arroyo can no longer serve out her term.

As matriarchs go, Mrs Aquino outranks the pretender.

posted by Admin at 9:06 PM 0 comments
    A persistently damaged culture
    Commentary By Paulynn P. Sicam Tuesday, 9 August 2003

In November 1987, when we were still feeling good about ourselves after the glorious EDSA people power revolution of 1986, the American essayist James Fallows wrote a devastating analysis of Filipinos as a people in The Atlantic Monthly. In an essay entitled "A Damaged Culture", Fallows wrote:

"Individual Filipinos are at least as brave, kind and noble-spirited as individual Japanese, but their culture draws the boundaries of decent treatment much more narrowly. Filipinos pride themselves on their lifelong loyalty to family, schoolmates, compadres, members of the same tribe, residents of the same baran*** ... Because these boundaries are limited to the family or tribe, they exclude at any given moment 99 percent of the other people in the country. Because of this fragmentation, this lack of useful nationalism, people treat each other worse in the Philippines than in any other Asian country I have seen ... The tradition of political corruption and cronyism, the extremes of wealth and poverty, the tribal fragmentation, the local élite's willingness to make a separate profitable peace with colonial powers--all reflect a feeble sense of national interest and a contempt for the public good."

We were shocked and angry, insulted by this foreigner who deigned to analyze our culture like he knew us. He was called names, the worst of which was a "parachutist", which referred to foreign correspondents who flew into the country on Sunday, looked around Metro Manila on Monday, flew out of Tuesday, and published an "in-depth" story about us on Wednesday.

We met up with a lot of such enterprising journalists in those days, when the Philippines was the darling of the West and stories about Philippine politics were snapped up by editors who could not get enough of our peaceful transition from dictatorship to democracy.

How dare he, many Filipino commentators bristled at Fallows' arrogant assessment of Philippine society during that honeymoon period. His judgment stung--"lack of useful nationalism", "a feeble sense of national interest"--being the worst of all. But what stayed with me was his observation that "people treat each other worse in the Philippines than in any other Asian country I have seen..."

Recently, local commentators, despairing over the bad and ugly politics that have engulfed us in the run-up to the 2004 presidential elections, have dug up their fading copies of Fallows' essay for a closer reading. And they are seeing that the mirror he held to our faces in 1987 may have been accurate then, and is certainly accurate now.

Just observing the Philippine Senate-traditionally been the breeding ground for Presidents- holding a public hearing for ten minutes, we see the worst possible example of tribal fragmentation among the local elite. Administration and opposition senators regard each other with undisguised distrust and disgust, and treat their witnesses-invited guests, if you will--even worse. When the senators cannot get them to dance to their partisan tunes, they call them liars and obstructionists, put words in their mouths and threaten them with contempt and detention.

With kid gloves off and cloven hooves and fangs showing, they gnarl and leap at one another, as well as at anyone whom they wish to bully to follow their line. All the while, of course, they are protected by parliamentary immunity from anyone who wishes to fight back.

Such public displays of meanness and uncivility over national television by our supposedly "honorable" senators add nothing to the Filipinos' sense of national interest or pride in their country and people. They only drive home Fallows' point that in this country, we draw "the boundaries of decent treatment" very narrowly, limiting them to the family or tribe, and truly excluding 99 percent of the other people in the country.

In 1971, Fr. Pacifico Ortiz SJ, in an invocation at the opening of Congress, described the country as trembling on the edge of a smoldering volcano. Well, 32 years later, we are back on the edge of that volcano, which goes to show that we have learned little-if anything - in the last 32 years. Perhaps we never really left the edge; the volcano just dissipated for a while when the dictator departed, and we mistook the restoration of the trappings of democracy for the fundamental changes we needed to implement.

But as it turns out, we have only marked time, wallowing in a culture so damaged, it has, as James Fallows so astutely observed, stood in the way of our development and has made a naturally rich country poor. The Philippines, wrote Fallows, describing the situation here, is "a society that has degenerated into a war of every man against every man".

Recently, the bishops and priests spoke from the pulpit condemning graft and corruption and the life-****ing dirty politics that our daily lives are mired in and distracted Congress from its task of legislation and the Government from governance.

Newspapers are raking it in with paid advertisements from sectoral groups and NGOs pleading with the administration to act on the plight of the poor and powerless, with supposed coup plotters to abandon their destructive ambitions to rule the country by military force, with politicians to set aside their partisan agendas and focus on the larger picture, and with the media to help set a forward-looking agenda for the country, and not be content to merely reflect the mire it is in. The paid advertisements are starting to become news items themselves, especially for a people used to getting their information from reading between the lines.

The call of the hour is for everyone to think outside of themselves and consider the country, the people, our children, and--as the visiting Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told Filipino businessmen on Monday--think of the next generation.

Thaskin seemed to be talking about the ruinous politics in the land when he told the business leaders the difference between a politician and a statesman: "A politician always thinks about the next election," Thaskin said, "while a statesman always thinks about the next generation. If you think about the next generation, then you can do a lot of change."

Painful as it is to accept the image of ourselves that Fallows has confronted us with, it is time to give it serious thought and action. Nothing else--not self-praise, not self-flagellation, and not those occasional spurts of national pride-has made us the nation that we ought to be by now.

We might start by making James Fallows' essay on our damaged culture required reading for every member of Congress and the administration. And to make sure they understand it, maybe we should commission an illustrated-comics version.

posted by Admin at 8:38 PM 0 comments
    Damaging culture
    HERE I STAND
    By Geronimo L. Sy
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 - Manila Times

IN the November 1987 issue of the Atlantic Monthly, the American essayist James Fallows wrote, "Individual Filipinos are at least as brave, kind and noble-spirited as individual Japanese, but their culture draws the boundaries of decent treatment much more narrowly. Because these boundaries are limited to the family or tribe, they exclude at any given moment 99 percent of the other people in the country. Because of this fragmentation, this lack of useful nationalism, people treat each other worse in the Philippines than in any other Asian country I have seen. The tradition of political corruption and cronyism, the extremes of wealth and poverty, the tribal fragmentation, the local elite's willingness to make a separate profitable peace with colonial powers"all reflect a feeble sense of national interest and a contempt for the public good."

The article started a furious debate on our culture and the right of a foreigner to criticize us. The question "What's wrong with us?" continues to nag and hound us today in every imaginable forum or discussion. Everyone has an opinion on it, although there is no consensus on what ails us, if at all it is a sickness. It is a good exercise in that it becomes a call for reflection and introspection not only on deciphering our country's woes but also to help us individually understand, and hopefully act on solutions.

What has not been brought up or clearly presented is that for a culture to be damaged there must be a culprit"a "damager," so to speak. A damaged culture may mean a deviation from a healthy culture. In the Philippine context, a damaged culture exists only in relation to a damaging culture. Both meanings can be true in that our way of life was good and a-OK until external elements intervened and disrupted our natural state. And who are the guilty?

To blame our colonizers is an easy way out and simplistic, at the very least. To point the accusing finger to our ruling class or elites suffers from the same fallacy. This is not to say that either or both did not contribute or exacerbate our present state of development, rather, underdevelopment. Is it the collective body of Filipinos? No doubt we each are responsible for our actions and should be held accountable for the consequences. Who do we then hold liable for past sins and historical faults?

Regardless of the answer to this question, we need a fresh page to write our destiny. A new day is always the best start to a new life. By all means this is not to advocate forgetfulness or to condone offenders. It is saying that we let go of the mental mindsets and the emotional baggage that hamper us from achieving our potential as a people. By all means, punish the guilty, protect the innocent, make reparations these cannot be compromised. What can be done is not to stop moving forward into the future even as we deal with our present and look back at our past. The first step is to identify what is wrong with how we live and how we do things and expel and cast it away from our system.

We are a consuming nation, although materialism is not a Filipino value. By and large, I can say with honesty that we value family, character and reputation more than a bigger house and shinier cars. Pervasive corruption is but a result of inverted and skewed priorities.

Relativism is an imported evil. We've always had a notion of the good of the community. It is not a "me, myself and I" type of thing. Filipinos are considerate; we treat each other better. We are God fearing and God loving; our self-interest ought to come after the welfare of others. Our politics is a reflection of selfishness and lack of concern.

We can be punctual. Lately, the meetings and functions I attended began on time. Much remains to be done in terms of valuing and respecting time. One way to do it is to simply decide that on December 1, 2005, and henceforth, we will hold events and functions on time all the time. We can also declare that on the same date, all drivers will be courteous and practice defensive driving. Ambitious, yes! Impossible, no!

These modern ills are not ours exclusively. We need not fret or worry too much for today is sufficient unto itself. Indeed, when Fallows said that ours is "a society that has degenerated into a war of every man against every man," he could as well have been writing about any other country.
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

SEPTEMBER 2003

Holy smokes, here it is Sept. already, the beginning of the countdown for Christmas and a reminder to start saving that money for the holidays. Any events taking place last month were overshadowed by the closures of Mistys and Neros Bars along with the detention of owner Richard Agnew. These actions brought tons of comments from various "experts" on the two main message boards maintained in this town, AC2 and Go2Phil. Of the two boards G2P seems to entertain a more polite, restrained, sensible approach to many issues whereby the AC2 board appears to attract the more unrestrained, "lets do some evil" posters. Both boards are entertaining and if you take the time to filter out the trash and the personal attacks on individuals there is much to be learned about what is happening in Angeles City. The arrest of Richard brought out tons of opinions, some that were way off base and some that were right on. There was a great deal of repetition of old opinions that have been discussed to death in the past, i.e., are bar owners responsible for minors being discovered working when they were hired based on documents issued by City authorities; are the bar owners being set up; are bar owners being extorted; is there a group of foreigners wanting to get Richard out of the picture and take over his bars; who reaps the benefits with the closure of these bars? There were comparisons to Thailand and even the Unites States, there were even debates on grammar as to whether one poster was lucid or not so needless to say there was certainly one hell of a lot of interest over this latest debacle on Fields Ave. One TV station, GMA 7 was involved in all of this and featured a segment of its investigative show to it on Saturday, 16 Aug and, with certainty, I can say that it had its largest expat viewership ever that night. The TV footage featured Richard, views of his bars on Fields Ave, a couple of the mamasans (one of whom stupidly indicated that she did not know the owner of the bar), Richards detention and his words that "he was assured that he would not be hassled like this anymore" and that "he has 400 employees and is not personally aware of all of them" and that "he has 27 floor managers to handle the hiring". It was not a pleasant scene to watch as Richard Agnew is well liked in this area and many believed in his vision to create an upscale entertainment area on Fields Ave that would attract more tourists and improve the image of Fields. On two previous occasions Richard had been "invited" to Manila and both trips proved to be a bit expensive for him hence the meaning behind his words that he would not be hassled again. Lost in all this publicity was that the Stinger Bar was closed down as well, with much less fanfare but for the same reason, underage ladies employed. A source has indicated that a deportation letter may be drafted by City Officials against Gary Stone for being an undesirable alien (as of this writing no such action has been taken). This is the same Gary Stone that enjoyed the hospitality of an immigration facility in Manila for nine months last year. So, we have two "victims" and the question remains "who is next?" It is my guess that any investors considering opportunities on Fields Ave are giving these latest incidents a lot of thought.
    (Special Note: The Imbestigador Segment is online in the Go2Phil members section with a full transcript of the episode.)

Is there a solution, short of each bar hiring a dentist as a consultant, I do not see one. Even Sullo would have to admit that some underage girls do manage to slip in on a dance floor or two, but I firmly believe that the mamasans know who they are and turn a blind eye to it, proper license or not. The owner does NOT always know as they depend on their managers and mamasans to handle this part of the business. All too often the expat managers are ineffective because they are afraid of the mamasans or just have no say on what they do. Many are working with tourist visas and are on shaky grounds themselves. In fact, bar owners are vulnerable to all forms of shake downs for money and one must not forget that doing business in a third world country that considers foreigners fair game means that you never let your guard down. Do not try to use common sense, do not quote various laws, do not state your rights, here you are guilty until proven innocent and forced to spend a hell of a lot of money doing it - don't forget John Martin. Living in the Philippines is a wonderful experience; it is never boring, especially politically. It is great to own a business here, but it can be a disaster as well, but for sure, no matter how long a foreigner lives and works here, no matter how rich a person is, NEVER think for one moment that you have enough juice to be UNTOUCHABLE!

Now, let's think of what might transpire on Fields Ave in the next two years. Could the scene change dramatically? Many have forgotten that powerful Chinese entrepreneur Henry Sy is going to build his Shoe Mart (SM) mall on Clark, near where the present Customs office stands. Part of his deal with CDC is to develop the Bayanihan park which means CDC will get rid of the squatter businesses presently located there. The area will be improved as Filipinos from all over Northern Luzon and Manila will be flocking to Clark for shopping. Remember that the Subic - Clark toll road will be constructed as well. Will there be a possibility that the sight of present day Fields Ave may not be so appealing? Will the rents of those establishments soar out of sight? Will the bars be replaced with shops, restaurants, apartments, etc.? Should Horst, Heiko, Trevor, Kelly, William, Wolf, Smith and Mo be looking at alternative venue changes to their operations in the next two years - possibly. Anyway, that is food for thought and I am sure that sensible, constructive suggestions on the various message boards would be appreciated. The bottom line regarding the posters on the boards is that they love Angeles City, the Philippines and particularly, Fields Ave and Perimeter road and even their fellow expats that they love to crucify with biting words at times.

TIDBITS

Last month I mentioned that the Hole in the Wall was Garth's bar, shortly thereafter I received this clarification via E-mail:

Harry,
    Appreciate your editorial. The bar is the venture of the American Steel Motorcycle Club. Although Garth is a member, he is a shareholder only. Dave "Pup" McCully of the Powder Keg is the lead guy for us. Rady (formerly Thunderstruck) is the manager; just trying to get more free advertisement out of your next issue.

Signed - Big Mac, President, American Steel, PI Chapater.

All well and good Mac, but nothing is free, you now owe me one coke and hamburger at the "Hole in the Wall".

EARLY LAST MONTH I attended a meeting where it was announced that Asiana Airlines (Korean) would begin flying regularly scheduled flights from Seoul, Korea to Diosadado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA - Clark) three times a week (Wed - Fri & Sun). Once landing at Clark there will be a quick one hour turn-a-round heading back to Seoul. Those passengers departing Clark can avail of connecting flights to other countries, i.e., USA in Seoul. The cost of a round trip ticket is approximately $400. Can this, finally, be the beginning of services we have all dreamed of here in Angeles City? More detailed information will be reported as the details become available.

The 7th Street Immigration is set to move to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) building located at Clark.

It may take some time for the message to get across but folks, pedophiles are NOT welcome in Angeles City. Recently one American, Richard Schmit and one Brit, Barry Edwards learned this the hard way. The American was caught in the act while sleeping in bed with an underage boy in his residence at Timog Park. For sure he is in deep trouble for in addition to being brought up on charges it was found that his visa was two years out of date. While attending a Rotary meeting I was surprised to find that the guest speaker was a U.S. Customs Representative assigned to the U.S. Embassy, Manila. They were in Angeles City to investigate the circumstances behind the arrest of Schmit. Forgive my ignorance folks, but I did not know that a U.S. citizen traveling to the Philippines and found guilty of engaging in illicit sexual conduct with a minor can be fined and imprisoned in the States for not more than 30 years. The speaker, Loan McIntosh-Rupp provided an extract of the applicable US Code that I think is important to reprint here:

SEC 105. PENALTIES AGAINST *** TOURISM.

"(a) In General - Section 2423 of title 18, Untied States Code, is amended by striking subsection (b) and inserting the following:

"(b) TRAVEL WITH INTENT TO ENGAGE IN ILLICIT SEXUAL CONDUCT. - A person who travels in interstate commerce or travels into the United States, or a United States citizen or an alien admitted for permanent residence in the United States who travels in foreign commerce, for the purpose of engaging in any illicit sexual conduct with another person shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 30 (used to be 15) years, or both.

"(c) ENGAGING IN ILLICIT SEXUAL CONDUCT IN FOREIGN PLACES (This is a fairly new law enacted within the last year) - Any United States citizen or alien admitted for permanent residence who travels in foreign commerce, and engages in any illicit sexual conduct with another person (this applies to minors) shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

So, dear travelers, this means that any U.S. citizen traveling to the Philippines and having *** with a minor, male or female, can be prosecuted in the U.S. Makes you think, doesn't it?

The Pick-Up management is selling raffle tickets every Saturday night at P50 each for a round-trip ticket for one to Boracay courtesy of SEAIR; drawings will be at 0200. Any funds collected exceeding P4, 800 will be donated to the Bahay Bata Street Children's Center.

No folks, this is not a new form of praying or begging, just a local lass trying to discuss a dead issue!

Can't find it!

For sure there have been many customers spending time at Club Lancelot that have not paid much attention to the mask hanging on the East wall, at least I did not. It was not until the manager pointed out its uniqueness to me that I became fascinated. If you walk past the mask and watch it you will see that the face and eyes follows your movements. Now I have to walk back and forth in front of it three or four times every time I go there and admire this original work of art created by Gerard's company. Check it out the next time you go there.

He's watching you

VOODOO BAR is on the market and may be sold by the time this is published, another reason for Mo's new construction, and yes, Robert Sullivan (Sullo) is making money, again, on renovations of the old Ayer's Rock (Not really that old) as it was sold and will be renamed.Word is that Mo is adding a small bar in the front of Kokomo's where the beauty parlor and business center were housed. The theme goes along with the current decor of bamboo and rattan. This might be a good idea that compliments the swimming pool, restaurant and recently added Motel rooms. .

Kokomo's has brought back steaks. You can have a 500g porterhouse dinner for P350. Early reports are that it is worth every peso. (This horse plans to personally check this out and let you know next month whether it is as good a deal as Mo claims).

Members of the Returned & Services League of Australia (RSL) hosted a Vietnam Veterans's Day at the Ponderosa Hotel (formerly Bonanza) on 18 Aug that proved to be a huge success. The guest of honor was W.O. CJ Radcliffe from the Australian Embassy who presented P20, 000 to the Clark Centennial Rotary to purchase medicine's for the street children housed at the Bahay Bata Center; an additional P20, 000 was donated to Jimmy D's (Hotel La Casa) Christmas Fund that is used by Santa Claus as he visits two local hospitals on Christmas Eve each year to donate food, toys, and money to every patient hospitalized in the charity wards. The RSL is a very organization that meets once a month at the Ponderosa. The next general meeting will be on 16 Sep 03, for further details/queries their Email address is: rslacity@hotmail.com.

In some locations security procedures to board an aircraft have taken on drastic procedures. This individual, going under the ominous alias of "Dirtbag" was so suspicious that airport security officials would not give him back his clothes.

Searched and Scanned

It was all in the name of charity as Dennis Mitchell shed his locks at the recent fund raiser for street children held at the Roadhouse. This haircut raised P30, 000.

What a head!

This was too good a photo opportunity to pass up as the well known, popular manager of the Phoenix hotel and his mate, known to one and all as "Pig" and "Piglet" was leading their pool team to victory at a local establishment. They have been mates for many years and take their nicknames with that typical Australian sense of humor.

Pig & Piglet

Depicted here is a picture no one ever expected to see, a closed, darkened Nero's Club. Hopefully the lights will come on again in the near future.

Lights Out

Three familiar buildings are now being relegated to the historical files of those of us with long memories. The CARTOONS and MUSIC BOX buildings are being demolished and will become part of the Orchid Inn complex. Have not been able to get a fix as to what might replace them as word is that the owners have not come to a decision yet; various ideas are on the table but it all depends on the budget. The third edifice to disappear is what used to be the site for Lollipop bar. I have heard that Gerard will replace it with a three story building housing a billiards/snooker room on the ground floor and the remaining floors will house apartments. Too early to get confirmation on exactly will be happening but expect to be able to give more details next month. Another new construction of a multi storied building is ongoing just a few meters away from the Insomnia bar and the sign outside indicates that it will feature apartelles.

The new bar under construction at the Swagman Hotel will be named Staggers with an anticipated opening during the first week of September. My October column will feature the opening with a few pictures. No doubt the Staggers should be a nice addition and a great convenience for the Swagman's many customers.

VOODOO BAR has been sold, another reason for Mo's new construction, and yes, Robert Sullivan (Sullo) is making money, again, on renovations of the old Ayer's Rock (Not really that old) as it was sold and will be renamed "Stoned Crow". Yes, I know that many, many years ago in dear old England this name had a historical significance referring to the men that would toss stones to scare away crows from the fields but in today's lingo "Stoned" has a rather negative connotation; but then neither G-Spot, Cleopatra or Ayer's rock has enjoyed much success in the past other then to help Sullivan enjoy a more lucrative life style so why not just get "stoned" in the "Stoned Crow" when it opens under it's new name. I know one thing; if any owner wants to renovate or build a bar and be successful he might shy away from hiring Sullo to do the job, not because of lack of skill and great ideas but because of superstition in that his projects seem to bring a bit of bad luck to the owners. Maybe the "Stoned Crow" will be different but what are the odds that ole Sullo will luck out and be renovating it again in a year or two?

The Las Vegas Club is undergoing extensive renovations but I have not been able to find owner Bill to get the details of what is planned for this Club and an estimated opening date. The interior was gutted and the exterior entrance is being extended. By looking at work in progress I suspect that Bill might be shooting for an October opening.

ARTIST AT WORK

If you happen to drop into the Hole in the Wall bar on Abad Santos street (Blow Row) check out the mural on the wall pictured here. It was enjoyable to watch artist David Parker at work and I must admire not only his skill but patience as well. Being a professional his labor does not come cheap but as you can see, the end results are fantastic. If you wish to communicate with Dave then contact him via E-mail, chromebrush@hotmail.com. He indicated that it would be interesting to paint the ceiling as well but management indicated that the budget might not allow for that endeavor.

Artist at work

THE TINY BURGER

Tiny cooks for tiny burgers

There is a small eatery adjacent to the One Stop and across the street from the Silver Bullet Bar that is simply known as the "Krystal Burger". It is run by Wild Bill, a well known expat that has kicked around this town for many years and at one time, before Pinatubo erupted, ran a popular bar/restaurant on Perimeter Road. Bill has come up with these miniaturized tasty Krystal Burgers that can be eaten with one bite, maybe two and if you are like Mark Smith, you eat them by the dozen. I restricted myself to one just to see what they are like and they are not fancy, not loaded down with any extras, just a simple tasty treat that kind of makes you want one more, well, two more, OK, may 11 more. Anyway, the price is right, CHEAP and it is fun to chat with some of the characters that seem to always be around discussing the problems of the world but not offering any solutions. If you would like to eat them in air-conditioned comfort and share with some **** ladies, then order a dozen or so to go and go across the street for a few drinks at the Silver Bullet.

JUSTICE IN THE PHILIPPINES?

Recently, I received an Email from the mother of Steve Davis who was murdered in Manila last year by some evil, greedy Filipino *** wipes, money being the motive, of course. Normally, in the Philippines, if a foreigner is robbed or murdered, the local authorities could care less and will investigate only if money (lots of it) is paid up front for them to do so. A case in point is the Owen Dolan murder which is still not solved or being further investigated because the Owen's friend, Randy, is now residing in Thailand and is no longer paying the cops the money they want to pursue the case. The letter from Steve's mother verifies that justice received is only after money is received! I have omitted certain comments from the letter because of the ongoing investigation and Mrs. Davis's request to be circumvent about a few details. I am happy that Mrs. Davis reads this column and will hold her to the promise to update me as more details become available.

Steve Davis and his wife

"Hello there .thank you for your kind words. Steven had been married to Evelyn since 1997 and they had two lovely children, Jessica now 4 and Joshua now 2 years. When Steven died we were determined to get the children to the UK and find out what happened. I managed both and the children are here with us in the UK.

We have two guys in jail who are going for trial this week ----- to turn witness against all so I am waiting for that to happen, with a bit of luck the ---- will then be implicated and arrested. When we have that I will give you more of the story I am sure many of your readers knew Steve in Angeles, he was a Rotarian and a member of the Angeles Flying Club. I am sure many would remember us too as we visited often. The thing I keep most in my head is that I loved my son very much and the filipina folk who did this knew me and my family and underestimated us, I am a sore loser when something is stolen from me. Also Steven died for lust and greed, they wanted money so I have the philosophy that money will get me justice. I have learned much about the filipina nature over the year they will sell their soul and mother for selfish gain. In fact that is how we have achieved so much and the Western Union Money Transfer Service along with Text massages to those greedy people. But it is getting the job done.

I hope by this winter that I will return to the PI to see justice done, I am very optimistic.

I am sending you a photos of Steve and his wife and the kids, I don't think there is anything you cant use here but please be careful about implicating the ---- at this stage and not to say too much about the ---- guy. I will keep you posted so please reply.

Regards Margaret (Alston-Davis) UK.

FOREIGNERS AND THE LAW.

While the Richard Agnew case is still the talk of the town, there are a couple of more cases that are of note. First is the case of an Australian businessman who was roused in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago. The police planned a very careful raid. They knew when he'd have his payroll at his house, came in, arrested him and, during their search, took his entire payroll plus all of his other valuables. He spent a couple of weeks in the Bicutan detention center until the Australian Embassy finally took some action. He's currently out on bail, but his money and personal items are nowhere to be found. He is contemplating filing charges against the police who carried out the arrest.

A case that recently came to my attention is also just as disturbing. A young Aussie was here and had a good acupuncture practice. His clinic was quite busy. Unfortunately he made the mistake of becoming romantically involved with one of his patients. Although this is not accepted practice, it happened. Unfortunately for him, the woman's husband is a well known attorney here in town and had him arrested for adultery. Concurrent with that, the good folks at the labor department charged him with working without a permit and thus Immigration got involved. He is currently going through the trial process in Angeles City while being held in Bicutan. He's been offered a plea bargain whereby if he pleads guilty, he'll get a 6 month jail sentence. If he allows the trial to go through it is almost certain he will be found guilty and will serve at least 2 years. Unfortunately, it's been made pretty clear that if he serves time here, he might not walk out of jail. It is unbelievable that this sort of thing can happen. He's already served 7 months. In most countries, time served would be counted against a plea bargain sentence and he'd be freed. For ADULTERY. Who would believe it?

GECKO BAR

Angelo and Staff

Some bars on Fields Ave just do not do as much business as others. It is a very competitive environment and sometimes there is just not enough business to go around. The Blue Nile is jumping with hundreds of ladies and elbow to elbow customers nearly every night of the week while up the road the Gecko might have only one customer sipping at a drink and having all the girls to himself. It would be hard for an owner to keep a happy face during these slow times but not Angelo, the owner/manager of Gecko's. He always has a ready smile for the customer and you can see, that when he is in town, he just enjoys himself, whether the bar is full or near empty. He admits that the bar is more a hobby for him as he does have other employment out of country but his good spirit is shared by the ladies that work for him and if the customer gets beyond the door and sits for a while, for sure a lot of fun can be had. The Blue Nile is big, crowded, with a lot to look at but at times it is nice to sit in a quieter place with room to move and receive a bit more personal attention from some attentive ladies. Who knows, maybe one can exit the Gecko with a smile of satisfaction bigger than Angelo's.

A friendly group

LIMITED EDITION

View from the bar

Jeff Duncan has opened the doors to the newest bar on Perimeter Road (Don Juico) named the "Limited Edition" and hopes that enough customers will discover this friendly place in the next few months to keep him in business. Right now I suspect that there will be some changes with the dancers presently employed for they are about average, meaning nothing too bad and nothing really great. Mamason Lolita has to keep her eye out for some new additions as time goes by but what the ****, most of the bars these days have a bit of a hard time chasing down the beauties as they all want to work in the bigger bars on Fields Ave. What attracts the ladies is the chance to earn money because there are a lot of customers and this may be what will draw them to this bar as first impressions indicate that this will be a popular gathering place. Jeff is a very experienced bar owner who is personable and knows how to draw the customers in. The air-conditioning provides excellent relief on hot days (every day) and there is plenty of room to with a good layout for the pool table. No doubt Jeff will be entering a team in the various pool leagues in town and will have no problems in recruiting players. There are enough bars along Perimeter Road to afford a whole afternoon and night of barhopping without having to hit Fields Ave at all and, for a tourist that could be an interesting change for one night of his visit here.

Try us, we're fun!

TEACHING ENGLISH?

James appears to be quite smitten with Champagne girl Rochelle as well he should be as she is a charmer with a great smile. Jim works in the UAE teaching English so I am sure that Rochelle's grasp of English improved overnight. He indicated that he liked to visit the smaller bars like Champagne and Treasure Island where the music is not so loud and one can have a good time. From the looks of it, Jim's good times were just beginning.

Teaching English?

CHAMPAGNE BAR

Cristina

Manager's choice

For some unknown reason it has taken me a long time to get around to visiting the Champagne bar and much to my surprise, found it to be a great little bar with some super ladies on hand to entertain the customers. The manager, Tony, from Melbourne Australia has his act together and runs a tight ship. There are three mamasans, Cely, Babie and Magda who watch over 40 to 50 ladies which makes for one hell of a line-up. One does not get bored as the line-up changes every five minutes which is more frequent than the Road House but run with the same idea of keeping the ladies fresh, rested, and ready to dance. On this particular night I was able to get three tasks taken care of by getting a good overall pictures of the dancers, finding my "I would if I could" lady and also the manager's choice. Cristina, from Samar, 20 years old and very available was my "would if I could" lady and Lin, 21, from Bicol was the manager's choice. Lin also has a sister, Wilmer, working there as well but she is much shyer than Lin. Oh yes, I also found Rochelle sitting with James, also from Melbourne that night also. With that much success in one establishment I call it an early night and went home, very pleased with myself. Hope you like the picks for this month. They are all waiting for you at the Champagne Bar, stop in and say hello to Tony.

The line-up

MEET THE TOURIST

Micah Dobson, seen here at the Club Lancelot enjoying one of their popular exotic drinks, hails from Orlando Florida. Presently, he is working in Taegu, Korea and like many other folks stuck in Korea, really looks forward to his regular visits to Angeles City. He always stays at the Orchid Inn and he enjoys Club Lancelot because of "its friendliness and that he can always find a good person there" (he must have been talking about me).

Exotic Drink

LOOKING FOR WINE AND FOOD?

The Store

For those living here and even visitors can now avail of various imported food and wines along with other sundry imported items at the new "Europes Finest Food & Wine shop" on Fields Ave not far from Margarita Station. Bert, the Dutch owner has an outlet at Duty Free Subic and has now branched out to the provinces. This is his third shop in 9 months with the other two being in Subic and Baguio with plans to operate in Manila as well. The shop on Fields Ave is brightly lit and with an orderly, clean interior. The staff is friendly with supervisor Lilibeth running things along with Jasmin. This is one of those stores that folks find themselves going to just to see what new items are available, especially those hard to find imported foods. Bert plans to add more luxury items, i.e., goose liver pate which is a bit expensive for this horse's pocket at around $30 a can. I opted for the Thomy Scharfen Senf at P88 a tube.

The Staff

A BIT OF CLASS

Emotions owner, Ted, finally opened up the bar connected to his bar named "A Touch of Class". In August he hosted the Businessmen's Luncheon which served as an introduction to his new bar. Not much I can say about it at this time for I have not been back since the luncheon. Will stop by a couple of times next month which should give the place enough time to settle in and I can see how well it is doing and what the ladies look like. One positive outcome is that there is another addition to the bar scene along Perimeter Road and that has to be good news.

A Touch of Class

AMERICAN SHOT

On 27 Aug American Navy retiree Richard K. Dvorak, age 42, was shot twice by thieves that had grabbed his fiance's pocket just as he was about to visit some friends in a house in Mabalacat. There were two rotten Filipino ***-wipes on a motorbike that snatched the purse but were pursued by Richard as they rode away and shot at him, hitting him in the leg and abdomen. He was taken to the Mabalacat General Hospital but they were not very proficient in handling such an incident. The Philippine International Hospital (PIH) was contacted and an ambulance was sent to pick him up but the Mabalacat hospital found transportation to send Richard to PIH and the two vehicles passed each other on the road. By the time Richard reached PIH he had already lost considerable blood as a main arterery had been cut; he was rushed to the operating room as frantic calls were placed to all hospitals in the area trying to locate O neg. blood but none was available. Various military organizations in town were contacted to try and locate donors but, regretfully, time ran out for Richard. A PIH official stated that "if blood had been available, a life could have been saved". Richards instincts dictated that he chase the robbers and no doubt, he reacted without thinking, as many folks are prone to do but as each years passes more and more Filipinos carry guns and are not hesitant to use them in the course of their illegal activities. It is easy to say "do not respond" but when confronted and anger takes over, there is no time for logic to take effect but being passive may be the best way to stay alive. The lack of a blood supply is a serious concern and an effort is underway now to organize, through the assistance of Angeles University Hospital a blood drive to build up a supply of this vital fluid to be stored at AUF. Mark Smith has contacted AUF's Doctor Canlas to assist in setting up a day that Expat volunteers can donate blood at the Pick-Up bar on Real Street, possibly on a Saturday morning. This writer is contacting the various military organizations in the area to seek their assistance in accomplishing this. A date has not been set yet but it will be sometime in September and we are hoping for a large turn-out. The project will be called "Save a Life Today (SALT)" as if possible, we do not want to see another foreigner bleed to death on an operating table because blood was not available. A suggestion - O neg. is very rare and anyone living in Angeles City that has this type blood might think of donating every few months in order to assure a personal supply for himself if necessary. Another action taking place now is that the Subic Bay Medical Center has a central Health Visions Blood Bank and has agreed to keep a stock at the Angeles PIH to handle emergencies. It is too late for Richard but with this wake-up call, maybe another life can be saved in the future.

IMMIGRATION STRIKES AGAIN

Recently Cleopatra Bar (now Sphinx) owner, William, was detained by Immigration officials for passport irregularities. The bar was not raided, no question of underage girls being employed, it was strictly personal between William and Immigration officials. There is also the possibility that U.S. Customs officials situated at the American Embassy have an interest in the case as well. There is no need to write anymore of this situation until William is back in town, if he is able to do so, and I can have a sit down with him. Hopefully, all the problems will be resolved but meanwhile, the bar remains open with manager Myra keeping things afloat.

CHICAGO PARK Hotel Lacasa

The Chicago Park remains closed as extensive renovations take place. I was able to walk through it a few days ago and each room is receiving a face lift and the all the wiring in the hotel is being upgraded. I could not find out who owns the place now but it looks like it will be open for business again in a month or two.

INAUGURATION OF PIH

Jack Greets the Congressman

On 16 Aug 03 the Philippine International Hospital (PIH) held their Inaugural Ceremony with honored guests Congressman Francis Nepomuceno and Governor of Pampanga Lito Lapid in attendance, Angeles City Mayor Carmelo Lazatin was a no show. It was held out doors and was a bit hot in the morning. The invitation called for formal wear but most of the Americans in attendance must have had trouble reading that part as they showed up in typical retiree wear. I was tempted to do the same but suffered in the

Formal attire?

heat because I foolishly followed the instructions. It was a nice affair and it was a pleasure to witness the short speech rendered by the big boss, Mr. Dennis R. Thieke. Many asked where John Jones was but did not realize he was in attendance, wearing a disguise. The National Anthem was nervously sung by Miss Tuesday Basilio followed by the short speeches of the visiting dignitaries. Cocktails/fellowship/entertainment followed the conclusion of the formal part of the programme. Now that this beautifully constructed hospital is operational all we have to do is see how good the doctors in attendance are and that is the real test of how effective this facility will be. I will be giving it a hands on test when I submit myself to Dr. Tuazon's care for my abdominal hernia operation in the near future. I will be trying to take step by step pictures of my stay. Priscilla the horse has asked me when I will do this and my answer is, when I build up my nerve to do so. I HATE pain!

The Governor Nice flower

HIDDEN VALE

Abraham & Philip

On Sunday, 17 Aug, Hidden Vale hosted a cocktail evening for Hidden Vale members where we were introduced to the new President, Philip Campbell and General Manager, Abraham George, both lads brought in by Greg McDougal from Hong Kong. Additionally, representatives from the new financial management team, JA Magno, project management team from W.D. Rancom Company headed by Engr. Wency Ramos were introduced. A power point presentation got underway after a delay while the staff tried to figure out how to get the computer working properly, fortunately Mark Cupid was on hand solve the problem for them. The plans presented for the future are quite exciting but the proof in the pudding will be when construction is actually started on the announced improvements. Many present have heard these words many times in the past and will only believe when they see the action started and actually completed. But, it all sounded great and the following are highlights of what is supposed to be forthcoming: Phase one will be from Oct 2003 to Mar 04 and will see the construction of a new 30 meter wide access road with entrances at both ends of the facility; construction of the main clubhouse building with a first and second floor, to include a members only dining hall; link a wing into the proposed third floor to be added and will contain hostel facilities for visiting athletes. Phase two (Jan-Dec 04) - a 10 pin bowling facility; lifestyle center with salon men/women, male/female lockers, therapy rooms; upgrade the swimming pool;

Power Point confusion

arcaded promenade; al fresco/fine dining restaurant; ice-cream parlor; founders club with waiting lounge, library, bar and music lounge (nice touch); conversion of driving range into a children's playground and water park. Phase three (Mar 04) - depending how the first two phases go a possible 240 units of condo hotels. Now that is a big plate of plans and anyone having any questions can contact GM Abraham George who will be available daily. My question to Mr. George was will our present dues structure be affected. He assured me it would remain the same, at least for the next two years. Naturally, if these plans are completed then the dues will start to rise, but at a reasonable 10% at a time when necessary. SEC approval is expected at any time now and it is recommended that those current members retain their memberships for non-members will be paying a premium price to use the facilities and new memberships will be a bit expensive. Now, lets sit back and see what actually happens.

Whew, I am one tired horse. Why do I always finish up writing at 0200 hrs when I should be sleeping? It is just that once I start, I hate to stop and I know that Tom (Duck) is waiting for my input. As of 1 Sept Richard Agnew is still in detention in Manila but there are rumors that a "deal" is in the works. Yes, the rumors continue but if I am apprised of any FACTS in time to add them prior to publication, I will do so. I sincerely hope that all goes well for Richard, he is one of the good guys! My apologies to Ted Lerner, I did not get to go to his book launching because of the bad weather, it was raining too **** hard and I did not want to get wet walking from wherever I would have had to park. I'm outta here, oh yeah, don't forget to be kind to horses!

Police reject accusation Philippines dangerous for journalists
    font size ZoomIn ZoomOut

A top Philippine police official rejected Wednesday an accusation by a U.S.-based group that the Philippines is one of the most dangerous places for journalists to work in.

Philippine National Police spokesman Samuel Pagdilao said it is not reasonable to say that the country is a dangerous place for journalists.

"If you will see our records, most of the mediamen that were killed were not job-related," he said. "They were not killed in the performance of their duties. Many of them were killed because they earned the ire of some people. This is our position."

A U.S. group, the Committee to Protest Journalists, said on Tuesday the Philippines and Afghanistan are two most dangerous countries for journalists in Asia.

Philippines Intimacy/*** Research Report

Updates

11/25/07 Bad experience in angeles city (Common Scam)
    God evening Dave....
    I went through your pages and found out how informative it is.To the benefit of the most guys i am posting my personal bad experience i had in angeles city in last october.2007. I became friendly with a girl through a famouse web page. I was carring on with her for about 6 months and we use to chat with each other often. We use to excange photos on the web.She use to see me live onmy cam and she never appeared on a cam and her reason was that she dont have one. Her photgraph and biography still appears in de web page looking for a foreign bf. I had places so much trust on her and use to send money whenever she requested. In october i send her a message that i want to comeover to angeles city and meet her.She said, that she was very happy to receive me in her country. I arrived angeles city on the 16th oct, and looking for her in the airport she was not found ,although she promised she come to the airport to pick me up. I checked into to my hotel room and i phoned her and found out she was having a shower to get ready to come to meet me. I waited for about 2 hours and phoned her again.This time her aunty spokeand said that she is shy to come to meet me.I replied to her aunty that within 15 minuts i will arrive at your address. To my shock and embarrasement her aunty told me that she is a ***. Everthing happened like a dream.

Please publish my experience in AC for the benefit of the numerous guys who surf on the net loking for women.
    Thanks Dave.....
    Philip from Malaysia

9/9/07 Witch-hunt for Under Aged in the Philippines
    Blue Nile Group Raid - Angeles City

From ANGELES CITY NEWS June 2007:
    This raid, like several recent raids, did not comply with many of the legal requirements that should be followed by the NBI (Similar to our FBI) when conducting a inspection or a raid in any city. In addition to not notifying the local government so city police could accompany the NBI on the raid, this time they took it a few steps further by detaining customers, pointing firearms at customers, threatening customers, and even attempting to arrest customers wives and girlfriends. Fortunately, no one was injured and all the customers were released after 2-3 scary hours. Five buses were brought in and 334 employees were taken to Manila. The majority were released within 24 hours without formal charges being filed. As of the date of this newsletter 2 foreign managers and 5 local floor managers were still being detained.

Later Followup Report: ANGELES CITY NEWS September 2007:
    The seven individuals spent a total of five weeks in jail and all eventually all charges against them were dropped and the case dismissed.

The operation was large involving two teams of NBI agents and they hit Blue Nile, Blue Nile Executive, Neros and Bedrock simultaneously. While conducting the raid normal customers were detained in the bar they were visiting in some cases for nearly three hours. The NBI agents were armed and threatened to use their guns should people become unruly.

They took the people to the NBI headquarters in Taft Avenue Manila. Here in Manila the BNG employees were questioned and many of the dancers were subjected to dental checks in order to determine if any of the girls were under age. Out of all the girls they arrested they found a grand total of ZERO underage. Not one underage girl was found by the NBI.

After being detained the majority of dancers and staff were simply let go and put out on the street in Manila with no money and no means of transportation back to Angeles. Seven people were detained for a further five weeks at first in the NBI headquarters in Manila then at a later date in a jail in Angeles.

The mission order was drawn up on the basis of a complaint lodged by an anonymous representative of a group calling themselves the concerned citizens of Angeles city. This complaint stated that within the BNG bars there were cocaine parties involving minors as young as ten years old. This is of course a totally false statement and noticeably the complaint was not signed by any particular person and no person has come forward to claim responsibility for the complaint.

The seven people detained by the NBI were charged with human trafficking.

After a period of time the prisoners were transferred to jail in Angeles while the BNG lawyers fought to get the case and the charges dismissed. After a further period of time and intensive legal negotiations the case was dismissed however the people remained in jail in Angeles. The BNG lawyers produced a zerox copy of the dismissal notice and presented it to the acting district judge in Angeles (the usual judge was away on holiday) so she could then sign an official release order for the prisoners. When presented with the copy of the dismissal notice the Judge questioned its validity and said that it must be verified as real by a DOJ representative. The next day the dismissal notice was verified for the acting judge by a DOJ representative yet she still refused to sign a release order stating that it was not within her power to sign any release orders as she was only the acting judge.

This position went on for several days until the acting judge eventually relented and signed the release order. Upon receiving the release order our lawyers presented it to the prison warden and the prisoners were then released.

9/30/06 E-mail On not to judge all Filipinos based on scams
    Hi dave!
    Im a 24 y.o. Filipino Catholic from Cebu, Philippines and I just discovered your website and I think its really nice. What your doing is really an eye-opener especially for the Filipino-Catholic community, and I think its very nice and is not bounded by the laws of morality and traditionalism. I just have one comment though about your article: "Philippines Intimacy/ *** Research Report".

I was a bit shocked reading it because I haven't been to Makati or Angeles City and these were the unlucky experiences of some foreigners. Though I can say that scammers and corrupt authorities are rampant in the area. Foreigners are not the only victims, even co-filipinos are victimized especially those not from the said area. Manila is the Capital of the Philippines, but I guess you know that already. However.. it does not represent the whole Philippines and the True Filipino Culture. Manila and Makati has the highest Criminal cases in the Philippines. So let us not be surprised about these scams and other criminal activities, no-one will be spared believe me.

To better see the Philippines and the Filipino culture, you should go to other places like: cebu, bohol, davao, palawan, negros. Etc.., especially on our many Festivals like the annual Sinulog Mardigras Parade here in Cebu. You may see the difference if you do so.. However I understand that your research is about "Awareness & Support For *** Workers Sexual Intimacy Opportunities For Customers" and that is why you chose makati and angeles city.

We are all practicing freedom of press, but let us not please generalize the whole country as that. Because Filipinos are not all scammers, if you may talk to an Educated-Filipino who has traveled across the country, he will tell you everything what it is to know. We don't hate foreigners, some of us just sometimes don't like them because they also sometimes have superiority complex over Asians. Racism is everywhere. Local to Foreign, Foreign to Local even Local to Local & Foreign to Foreign. But im not a Racist,

There are also many bars, g.r.o.'s & workers here in Cebu by the way. About 20+ establishments I think. Most Caucasians come visit Cebu during December-January and rest of the months are Japs & Koreans. Cebu could be a nice place for your research. Only 45 mins away from Manila via plane.

9/28/06 Another Scam Report
    I Traveled to the Philippines to meet a girl, I been talking to on the computer for about 6 months. She met me at 4:30pm with her father at the airport in Tacloban Latye Philippines ,I checked into my hotel room her father and little causein was with her. Her father then left from the lobby ,at the same time we decided to go shopping downtown. awe did some shopping at 6:00Pm we ate at McDonalds ,afterwards we met some morman missonarys ,talk with themfor a while ,the girl wanted to come back to the hotel with me to spend the night ,I had the the mormans 2 really nice guys ,I had them explain to her ,for respect for the parents she should return home not go to hotel with me.after our talking about 7:00PM she got on a jeepnee and returned home. All this after she say I rape her ,then we go out shopping and supper and talk to Mormans.

I then went back to my room alone and was going to meet the girl the next day. Early the next morning the police knocked at my door ,the girl was with them with her employer a woman who hates Americans.
    the police arrested me illegally no warrent ,they said I rape the girl and will go to jail. The employeer was behind all this. to make a long story short,I got a attorney and would be innocent of all charges ,but who can wait months for a trial ,I had to return to my job and house payments etc at home the payoff to the girl to drop the charge was $4000.00 USD I had to pay.

Filipinas know a American who travels to the Philippines has to return to his job,and cannot afford to stay has to much to loose ,while the court system in the philippines takes months. I will never return there again.I even had affidavids from the 2 mormans ,McDonalds,the hotel that I returned alone and from time I checked in the hotel with her father with her..the filipina can file a case for anything at anytime for what ever they want .
    The corrupt police and people there are the worst in the world. there are still some good people there not all I feel are bad.many get set up and the bars are the worst, to all stay away from the bar unless you want to loose your money and get set up.

I have never seem so many liers cheets scams, acting ,all for the American dollar ,I know many cases where men go there and are set up ,the filipina they lie ,they have lazy husband or live in boyfriends who not work,all they are good for is get the filipina PG and leave them for the next girl.and plan set up when you fly there to meet the girl. one friend of mine support a woman there he was doing the fiancee visa only to find out after he supported her for 2 yeras $400.00 a month USD ,she was married lives with husband and has 2 children. what a loss he had no idea .
    anyway.
    for anyone who travels to the philippines ,beware could be set up it is to the point can't trust any filipina there,and you might end up in jail.or loose all your hard earned money.

More Warnings of Philippines under aged Scam 6/2/06
    The scam does down that a girl on the street gets a date with you and then her friend asks to come along just to use the shower or some other excuse. The "friend" is underaged although has make up and look of legal age. The parents of the girl then report to the police that their "child" is with an older man at the specific hotel. The police (PNP) storm in with M16's pointed at the tourist. The child conveniently has her birth certificate with her showing she is age 15.The police get the scared guy to pay them as much as he can get from his ATM or has with him, often $1000 or more. According to the subject in one report said he was scared to death and they put the M16 to his head and threatened to kill him if he said anything to anybody about the incident.

It is well known that corruption and bribes are just a normal part of doing business in the Philippines, but this scam is being reported by tourists more and more.

An ACTA representative was able to meet with the police involved and procedures discussed and also the TP (Tourist Police that are separate from the local police who are suppose to help with tourists in trouble) were able to tighten up their procedures and learned not to leave a tourist alone until final action is taken. In this way, no money could be extorted with the TP presence or with an ACTA representative on the scene. However 3 nights later the same scam happened with a Japanese tourist who spoke hardly any English.

As one person said, "There definitely appears to be an organized scam taking place to entrap tourists in an attempt to extort money from them. There are hundreds of licensed ladies working in the various clubs so it is not necessary to take a chance on the street walkers. Those looking to save P1,000 to P1,200 could end up losing 50 to 100,000 pesos instead. Being caught with an underage girl is serious trouble, even if you were tricked into thinking she was older. The TP and ACTA cannot interfere with law enforcement, all we can do is assure that the foreigner is treated with due process and not abused in anyway or attempts made to extort money. Please guys, stick to the Clubs who have spent large sums of money to provide you with safe, decent, care free entertainment, that is your best bet to hold on to a "stay our of jail" card."

March 2006 Update:
    Pleasure Tours to Thailand and Philippines Under New Federal Legislation
    Discussion and Specific Tour Recommendation
    These Guided Group Tours Help Avoid The Scams especially common in the Philippines

Fake Rape charge Scam in The Manila
    In response to article on from 2/05 below, about underage girls accusing you of rape working with the Police to extort a few thousand US dollars to have charges dropped a visitor from Australia writes:
    3/20/06
    Dave, I read your letter just before I went to Manila recently and thanks to you I am back safely in Australia with no intentions of ever going back to the most dishonest land in the world.

Arrived in Manila 16/3/06 and booked myself at the Hotel Palm Plaza in Mabini. I tried to go to a safer area (Makati) but after an argument over the fare, the taxi driver refused to take me because, he said was too congested. I arrived at 10pm. And walked trough Del Pilar st. to a place I once knew ,called Rosi's Dinar, (no longer there) .I noticed the absence of foreigners . I walked to a Beer Garden I remembered named The Rendezvous. There was a hair dressing shop next to it and sat down to have a trim, a few minutes later a beautiful young girl came in and started smiling and asking me the usual. Where do you come from? Where are you staying? Etc.

The Barber asked me if I liked the girl and I replied that she was beautiful, but I just arrived and was tired. The girl replied that was getting late and she would love to have a bed to sleep. I told her that with her in my room I would not be able to sleep, she said .that was no problem and followed me to my hotel about 300m. Please note the following mistakes I made so your readers know the signs... I walked into the hotel and the staff promptly asked her for some kind of I.D. she replied she left it at home and than he told me that was a problem, would I accept her without I.D. in my room.

By this time my brain was not doing much thinking and could not see any problem. Even when something was not right I agreed and we both went inside, without going into details, she was a 10 and I was snoring 49 mins. Later (you get faster as you get older). At 60 you think this could be your last one.

At 8am. I waked up and asked her if she would like breakfast with me but said she was tired so I went to the breakfast bar and within 20 mins. Was back only to find her leaving my room as I came in. I was surprised as I had not yet given her any money, she said she had to go to see her sister but would come back later. I gave her 3000 pesos and she went out. Not having much to do in my room I followed 5 mins. Later and upon leaving the lift I witnessed the most bizarre scene on the reception counter.

There was the same young lady crying her eyes out and filling some form. At this moment I felt my heart in shock and my brain trying to understand the situation. It took 3 seconds for me to see the complete picture of this puzzle. Without going one step closer I walked into the lift, pick up my backpack and walked out trough the restaurant into a taxi. I was in panic and went to Makati's QANTAS office and told them an accident happen in Australia and needed to return urgently. They put me in standby as all flights were fully booked .I waited until 11pm. All the time thinking that if I can go past customs I will be free again.

Dave this has been the most horrible experience of my life and even if someone thinks I was a bit paranoid, I know full well that the police were next in the set up and extortion soon to follow. My trip was to last 16 days, instead only lasted 2. Please let as many people as you can know and you're welcome to supply my Email to anyone in similar situation. Please note the following signs. 1/ She never mentioned money 2/No I.D.presented so I could not know for sure if she was a minor.3/ She would not allow the use of a condom, telling me that she trusted me.4/ Even when 3000 pesos ($US59) is a generous sum in Manila, she never mentioned getting together again.

Dave, I will never know for sure, the fact that she concealed her age could bring a charge of *** with a minor, as for the motive , it's quite clear this girls are working for corrupt local police ,either being used for favors or on commission on the large amounts of money I would have to pay to get out of the country.

Life in the Philippines
    August 10, 2005
    Hey ther. I just read what you and other people have to say about their experiences in the philippines. I am sorry to say that I agree with them. I am filipino, regarded as filipino american in the philippines, and I am disgusted with everything I see and experience here in the philippines.

Before my first visit to the PI, I had pride in my heritage and of my forefathers. This view had slowly and surely changed since then. I am a 3rd year med student at UST, and my experiences on campus closely parallels the reality of life in the PI. At first I blamed certain individuals or organizations or groups. But soon I realized that the ultimate problem here is management. Congress is always talking about passing new laws or changing how certain things are done. New laws mean nothing if the laws already passed cant be implemented or enforced.

Just look at traffic in the PI, traffic enforcement is a joke. Why do they even bother putting lines on the streets? Thank god if you can actually see the MMDA people doing their job or not causing more traffic themselves. Jeepneys, busses, tricycles, and FX's have control of the road. They can go and stop pretty much whereever they want. There are supposedly laws on vehicular emmissions, these only apply to private vehicles.

One of the things I was told and thought to be true is the hospitality and kindness of the filipinos. I find this only to be true in a few instances. Most people will lie to you and try to rip you off with a smile and their arm around your shoulder. Forget family, I have been manipulated and lied to by these so called friends. A lot of times when I arrive here from the states, I bring presents from my parents to my relatives. More often than not, instead of being thankful for what they got, they ask if there's any more or say "that's all." These ingrateful *******s. My parents are willing to help. If you give them a finger, they want the whole arm.

I could go on all day about how the philippines discusts me, but that could probably fill a book. There are actually some good things here in the PI, but the bad traits exceeds the good traits by a large amount. For those who want to visit the PI, if their not filipino I wonder why they would, I suggest that they stay in a hotel-not with relatives, trust no one-they'll take kindness as a weakness and don't stay in the PI for too long.

Under aged Aggressive Girls Warning in Manila
    February 2005
    Just got back after a month in Manila on the 18th Feb, I stayed in Malate for a week and once again i came across the old scams, I went to Robinsons Mall about 200 yards or meters up the road from my hotel apartment, i decided to go to the games arcade center there and with in a short while was approached by an attractive young teenager about thirteen or fourteen, she played a few games with me and i did not think much about it until i left an noticed that she was stalking me through the Mall, thinking that i had lost her i arrived back at the hotel a short while later and who do you think said hello taking the lift before me, Mmm anyway i had a thought that she may have been staying there with her parents.

The scam starts as she watched what floor and room i had entered by looking across the belcony, she rang the hotel by mobile and contacted my room pretending to be the hotel reception and asking who was in the room or if i was the only occupant, ( i contacted the reception and no one rang) i told her that i was with my wife and four kids and that seem to end the scam, this hotel boasts to security and moniters all people who come and go , bull**** the guys at the door are part of it as there was no way of avoiding them at the foyer.

Take notice to all you new travellers to Manila, this young girl was attractive and willing if you are warped or into this type of child *** but remember that you may be called apon by her and officers charging you with rape unless a some of a few thousand US is paid to drop the charges. Anyway things still the same in Manila, a few Bombs going off but still had a great time.

Just reading an article about money exchange scams, American express travellers cheques are still OK in Manila, People say that they are hard to cash, this is not so as if you go to the express office on the ( 5th floor of the Mega Mall) you have no problem, no scams and a good current exchange, i use this all the time instead of taking cash funds, yes it is hard to cash them at other places but you just have to know where to go.

Writer wishes to be anonymous"
    ---------

1/28/05 I'd like you to add my comments to your page.
    I think perhaps the Philippines is getting a bad rap.
    In any country, you will find the problems that you read on this page. There is corruption, graft, greed everywhere. Let us not forget the most true saying in all of world travel:

A fool and his money are easily parted.
    I mean come on, you're going to pull out $2,000 cash on the street and hand it to someone you dont know? What an idiot!

Rule number one in world travel: Trust no one.
    Rule number two: Keep your cash in your sock
    Rule number three: Dont carry a wallet
    Rule number four: Travel LIGHT. Dont take fourteen stupid suit cases.

Here's some more tips for travel.
    Buy clothes there! They are cheap and you wont attract unwanted attention by wearing your $200 designer shirt.
    Dont wear excessive jewlry. A cheap watch should do it.

Basically, the common sense thing is, dont travel with anything you're not willing to part with at the airport, in the taxi, at the hotel, etc. Carrying expensive cameras, video, jewlry, suitcases, clothes, sneakers, is asking for trouble. You want to be as inconspicuous as possible.

I lived in the Philippines for almost four years. While, it was frustrating many times, I did have good experiences there. I was never mugged, robbed, cheated, although i was raped a few times by a gang of girls but I think I paid them for that

I fell asleep once on a Jeepney [DONT DO THIS] and arrived at my desitnation unharmed, with my shoes still on. I tipped the driver P100 and he said Salamat Po!

The moral of the story is, be a gracious guest, use common sense, and treat people with dignity and respect. To the Filipino, Respect goes a long way.

The tips about the taxi, are right on. The taxi driver can get a ticket if they are caught driving without their meter on, which, guess what, You'll be paying too! If the cop pulls a taxi over with an Americano in it, haha, you're gonna pay pal. The way to do it is, tell em to turn the meter on and you'll tip him good anyway. Just say to the driver "Maraming salamat" [thank you very much]. Dont be a cheapskate. Your money goes a long way over there, throw a little around but dont show em your wad.
    Angeles City moves to shut down Internet prostitution
    The Philippine Star 11/30/2004

ANGELES CITY " The police has created a task force here to clamp down on Internet prostitution following a series of raids that confirmed the existence of the illegal Internet activity. Police Station 4 chief Efren Miranda said that city police chief Senior Superintendent Jimmy Restua created the Cybersex Task Force to conduct surveillance operations and raid establishments believed to be engaged in cybersex. Senior Inspector Luisito Tan was designated head of the task force.

Restua cited reports that women, mostly migrants from other provinces, have been employed by such establishments to pose naked before Web cameras (webcams) and follow instructions, almost always sexually oriented, of viewers from all over the world who pay via credit cards for access to ****ographic websites.

Restua said that the creation of the task force was in line with the order of Mayor Carmelo Lazatin to transform this city, which used to host a US military facility at Clark Field, into a wholesome, family-oriented entertainment city.

November 2004 Economic Terrorism Against Foreigners in the Republic of the Philippines
    Dear Dave,
    I read your article dated 1999. I am in the Philippines now as with many foreigners that I know. We mostly are victims of Filipino business partners, girlfriends, wives and corrupt officials. Most believed before arrival that even though the Philippines was a poor nation the people were honest and good, that's why we came.

However, that is not the case, many foreigners have lost everything, through fabricated cases, extortion and shady dishonest officials. The foreigner is truly persecuted in the Republic of the Philippines, in a very racist and inhumane way.

Don't ever return and spread the news, it's like living hell here. We need help many Americans and other nationalities are kidnapped by government officials and are dying a slow painful death. I know of over 100 foreigners in a semi-personal way, and many other thousands, that I only know by word of mouth, the embassies are slow to react and don't know what to do, since the foreign victims are captive by government officials and the law is very dishonest, documents are faked and lives are destroyed.

We live in constant fear of being killed, tell the U.S. government don't send any more money until the Philippines changes and gives foreigners the same rights and freedoms as foreigners get in the U.S.A. and other western countries.

We need help, news, tv anything, people are dying.

Dave notes: Sounds like the corruptness is similar only worse than what I reported from my 1999 trip

Manila Scam Feb 2004
    I am reading articles about money changer scams in Manila because I was ripped off for about 40,000.00P! Because of a commercial lease I was changing $2000.00US and we just happened to be coming out of Robinson's Mall and a young man came up to me with a list of all the currency's of the world and the U.S. dollar was right at the top showing an exchange of 57.00 pesos per dollar and the best I'd ever had before was 55.6 per dollar. I should have known but the man even said the markets were up. I was skeptical until he was able to point directly to a money changer booth with bars and all only 3 business faces up the street. Since I was with 3 close friends I decided to go for it. At first I handed only $100.00 and then I saw a huge pile of 500 peso notes so I said, "Ok wait, here's $2000.00; can I use your calculator." We did the math and it was 114,000.00. I swore I kept my eyes on that pile of money the entire time and it was counted out twice. The second time we counted it and separated it into 10k stacks even. We used his calculator but a man came into the money changer and I glanced at him for a split second. It's the only time I can think that the man may have palmed a stack from the top of the pile. We ended up only putting 1 month down on the commercial spot instead of 6 months. So I went back to the rental house and plopped the huge wad of money back into my back. Several days later I counted it and it was severely short. I arranged polygraph tests for my two maids in Mandaluyong City for 1,500.00P per test. I highly suggest taking advantage of this valuable service for anything that comes up. It was only when I met with an American who has been coming to the Philippines for 16 years was it that I was able to understand what had happened to me. I'm severely bitter and missing a huge amount of my savings. In my opinion the only money changer safe for changing money is the changer in the Greenbelt malls by the Landmark in Makati. I had always gone to them before and never had a problem.

Another tip, never let a taxi driver in the Philippines keep his meter off. If they won't turn their meter on then have them stop the car and get another taxi even if you have to walk a couple blocks to do it. It's fine if the traffic is heavy and they want to add 10-50 pesos (depending on the traffic) on top of the actual meter amount. If their air-con is not working then you should collect information on the cab and submit a formal complaint to the Land transportation department because the base 25 pesos which flags on the meter as soon as they turn it on includes an amount for them having air-con. If you were in a car with no air-con then the meter would start less than 25 pesos.

Update October 2003
    Dear Sir, I was surfing the internet and came across your webpage. I am a Filipino residing in my country and I feel saddened by the bad experiences and baised opinions of the tourists have visited the Philippines. They have not seen what the islands and the people has to offer. I think they nly had the opportunity to see the places not worth going to (girlie bars and clubs) and meeting the wrong kind of crowd. Should they have been interested to see the country in its raw beauty and meet the real hardworking pinoys, they should have packed their bags and escaped the urban jungle to head for the rustic splendor of the provinces. Happy touring.

Scam Warning October 2003
    I have been going to Manila for 20 years, and know it very well. PLEASE let your readers know of this tired old scam. In the money changer houses in the ermita area, and all over the tourist areas in metro manila, people come in to exchange US money for the better than the bank rate on the peso. While the lady is counting out the pesos she slides the stack to you then says she needs to re check the count...she takes the money back and acts confused and starts to count and slide money back to you, the very second she is done a very well trained child you never see has slid around the counter and is crouching next to you, as she again makes a distraction and you turn to talk to her, the kid lifts about half of your stack and slides back into the tiny opening and is gone. I, like a fool took my money, after all it HAD been counted two times right in front of me, and put it in my front pocket and jumped back into cab, not knowing until later I had been ripped by these thieving Filipino ****s. This is why the money changers pay more than the banks or hotels, and all look alike. In the event you have a really large sum of Dollars she will signal for her thug who is always out front, and you will get a real surprise when you are about to get into the cab! The Police don't dive a ****, and get a percentage of the take. Mabini street is also flooded with illegal change shops just ready for a nice tourist like you.

Update January 2001
    Estrada Resigns and Murder and "getting even" instead of getting mad continues as usual
    Mobs take to the streets of Manila after the prosecutors all resigned in Estrada's impeachment /corruption trial. The trial was suspended when the Senate voted not to open confidential bank records that would prove that Estrada amassed $60.7 million in payoffs and unaccountable funds. The economy continues in ruins with only Estrada and his cronies getting rich by payoffs etc., but that is just normal in the Philippines.

Once at the pinnacle of stardom and power, President Joseph Estrada was pushed off the public stage Saturday in a downfall more dramatic than the plot of any of his films. Estrada spent a turbulent morning barricaded inside the presidential palace as hundreds of thousands of protesters marched toward the palace. An air force fighter jet buzzed past the palace and four military helicopters hovered overhead - reminding Estrada that his defense chiefs had deserted him. Protests swelled with at least 250,000 people demanding his resignation during a raucous rally at the Manila monument (near EDSA) to the 1986 "people power" revolt with the support of the military that threw out the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos. Estrada finally slipped out a back door after his resignation.

It was an ignominious end to a presidency that, when it started in 1998, Estrada called his "last and greatest performance."

He has acknowledged fathering children with several women other than his wife. He banked on this macho charisma and a pro-poor platform in the impoverished Asian nation of 76 million people to win the presidency with one of the largest margins in recent memory. But he squandered his popularity and extended his carefree lifestyle into the office. He loathed work and many meetings were more like drinking parties than doing government business.

During the impeachment trial, prosecutors accused Estrada of breaking the law "like clockwork," keeping a network of hidden bank accounts holding millions in illicit funds. They said he bought a mansion for one of his mistresses for $1.4 million while declaring only a net worth of $700,000 for the year.

Besides all the corruption the culture continues to be very violent. The news below was BEFORE the current protests. Source: Margarita Station mailing list - http://www.theville.com This excerpt, with full credit, is being shared under the Fair Use provision of the U.S. Copyright laws and International treaties for educational purposes with no financial gain:

As you all probably know, we some very devastating bombings in Manila. This is the sixth time there have been bombings in Manila this year. To make it worse, most of the Filipinos believe this round of bombings to be the responsibility of someone in government rather than one of the armed insurgent groups such as the NPA, the MILF, the MNLF, or the Abu Sayaf. (NOTE: The US state department has issued an advisory telling US citizens to avoid mass transportation such as the LRT and busses, and to avoid crowded areas like shopping malls. But, they have not recommended against travel to Manila or anywhere on the main island of Luzon.)

In my last newsletter I mentioned the killing of John Hammer, the owner of Thunderstruck. That murder remains unsolved, and the list of suspects is pretty long. John was always friendly when I met him, but he had a short temper and a record of beating up many guys. Additionally, he was involved in numerous businesses and had more than one investor that was looking for some return on their investments.

Unfortunately, there was another murder of a long term expat in the last month. A popular expatriate nicknamed "Santa Claus" was found dead near the Park Chicago Hotel in the heart of the entertainment district. His head had been bashed in from a hollow block found near his body.

These two murders IMO do not represent a change in our security situation. Rather, they are a wakeup call for some of us that live here to remind us we are in a foreign country where some people don't get mad, they get even. It amazes me every time I see a long-term resident getting into a fight with a local over something small like ten pisos. Stay on the main streets at night, and take a trike home to your hotel after dark.

Ken, the owner of Silver Fox left the country after trumped up charges of "white slavery" filed against him by Marie, the younger sister of his ex-girlfriend. Because of his departure the Silver Fox has reverted back to Neville (owner of the Jolly Frog) who has also hired Marie as a "GRO."

Another local expat, Australian hotel chain owner Wesley J. Prentice was acquitted by Judge Perfecto Laguio of Regional Trial Court Branch 18 of two counts of rape filed by a 16-year-old girl in 1998 for insufficiency of evidence. The court cited her claims as "unimaginable, abnormal, doubtful, and cannot pass through the strain of reason, among others." Wes spent at least 11 months in jail where he paid about $800 a month to rent a small air-conditioned room. (Yes he paid for his room in jail!)

"The girl, who had work as dancer in the bar owned by Prentice, had claimed that she was drugged by the accused that caused her to fall asleep in August, 1998. She said that ever since, she was deprived of her freedom and was constantly under guard whenever she went out. The relationship of the two ended when Prentice's wife discovered their illicit affair and began harassing the complainant. The fact that the accused slept with (beside) the complainant instead of occupying another room, considered conjointly with the following factors inevitably tended to establish that there was no rape and the sexual intercourse was consensual," said Judge Laguio in his 13-page decision. The judge questioned the victim's failure to cry or call for help a number of times while allegedly being raped and her failure to confide her ordeal to her friends and her classmates in the computer school, where the accused sent her to study. Further . . . (the victim) kept the matter to herself. It was only in December 1998 or three months after she was allegedly first raped, that she filed criminal charges on the matter. Such passivity and inactivity create in the minds of the court reasonable doubt as to her truthfulness and good faith, said the court."

Dave notes: He was acquitted but not until after being in jail for 11 months! This is small example of why I prefer Thailand so much more over the Philippines - a very peaceful society with far fewer problems where violence is totally against Buddhist beliefs. I felt so much safer walking the streets of Bangkok vs Manila. And as I reported all those private guards with big guns even in McDonalds in Manila didn't provide much comfort wondering why they were needed in most every shop in Manila!

Update October 2000
    A Realistic Positive View of the Philippines:
    Wise comments used with his permission from a guy who lives in PI and has a Filipina wife. Both are very well educated professionals. He says:

"I read your article with concern. You write well and your experiences are consistent with those I have had previously. I have spent a lot of time studying the PI culture and think that I can live within it for a while. Graft, utang na loob, pakikasama, poverty, exploitation and taking the long way to say "no" can all be disheartening. But, I recommend that you reconsider your decision to abandon PI. Not that I favor PI over Thailand as it concerns women, but because including PI provides a much wider base of movement with greater choices.

Erap will be out at the next election and another corrupt politican will take his place. Tan will continue to rape the country and the country won't complain.....too much. But, the women will still be beautiful, plentiful and charming. The beaches will be white sand, warm and the water inviting. The living will be inexpensive and luxurious. I have learned about the Philippines and Thailand that above all, we westerners have to keep a very low profile, create some "friendships" with medium officials, contribute to the Barrio fund, and have a great time."

After my supportive response, he continues:

"It is not sufficient that a person be versed in the huge cultural differences between Western countries and PI, but you have to buy into it at some level. If you are put off by graft, theft by domestics, gouging by taxi drivers, hearing "yes" when they mean "no", and political theft, then you will have a really hard time living in PI. If one's scruples require massaging when the baran*** president requests your contribution for road improvements which are to be made by his brother-in-law, then don't live in that sub division.

Part of the charm and the challenge for me of living in the PI is prevailing against the centuries of domination which have reinforced a cultural mishmosh that combines catholicism, poverty, and political dishonesty with a presumed genetic predisposition toward a dependent society."

Update September 2000
    Wall Street Journal Article exposes The Corruption in the Philippines Keeps Getting Worse With Estrada's Tactics and Cronyism

Update October 1999
    Since my recent trip to Thailand, I have lost any interest I had in the Philippines. With all the corruption, the horrible reaction to my honest sharing etc, I simply have no time for the Philippines. Even without the political mess, I found the experience with women in Bangkok and Pattaya so much better than in Manila/Angeles City. Many others have written me and feel the same based on their experiences. See my huge Thailand report at http://www.sexwork.com/Thailand/contents.html with music and lots of pictures. I also have include what I hope is a honest report comparing the pros and cons without overly emphasizing the dishonestly in PI but more the experience with women as part of my Thailand report (2nd from bottom right side on menu)

EXPLANATION ABOUT THIS SITE
    BECOMING AN INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT
    And why not completed!

As you will note I have not completed the report on the last leg of my return to Manila after Angeles. But I have done a very detailed extensive report of my experiences starting in Manila, Makati and then Angeles City

I had posted the first part of the report but quickly my simply sharing of my experience turned into sort of an international incident. I have been threatened and warned I could be deported or worse arrested by immigration if I ever return to PI. Why?

I clearly talk about ****ines not being for ***, prostitution being illegal, and *** is not guaranteed just because you ****ine a GRO. I mention the possibility of *** and report honestly on my experiences which didn't always include ***. BTW, why do GROs need weekly medical checks and quarterly HIV tests if it isn't for ***?

When a discussion arose about talking honestly about it on Angles2.com, an Angeles discussion board, all my posts with no notice and without anyone contacting me were removed. I also got E-mails from some of the Angles bar owners telling me how much a threat my report was to their business. Ironically its reports like mine that should bring the Angeles/Manila bars more business. A number of people have E-mailed me telling how helpful the report was and because of it they are going to visit Angeles. But instead because I talk about *** honestly, I'm the enemy of the bar owners and censored on their discussion board. I don't need these silly games. There were also PI folks saying they were sending all the information about my report to PI government officials and "we will see how they like it"

You have to play the game of denying *** exists to be acceptable. We seem to have to follow the PI thinking that if you don't expose it or talk about it - it doesn't exist. Yet that of course is why people are interested in Angeles...coming for what officially doesn't exist!

These experiences reinforced my negative view from my experience at the EDSA Entertainment Complex. I was assaulted by security thugs, kicked out and banned from the complex simply because I sat in the central area and was writing some personal notes in a little book after visiting a few bars, buying lady drinks etc. That story is not in the report yet since it was on my return to Manila after Angeles which I hadn't completed. I now have little interest in completing it due to the censorship mentality of PI. I now expose the censorship instead of completing my mostly favorable report and I now encourage trips to Thailand over PI. There are many advantages to Thailand sexworkers/bargirls which I will start reporting on as I have time.

Although the website now is very positive, if I get time I may talk more about these situations as well as reporting on what I read in Manila papers about police bribes, tax corruption etc. They were front page news when I was there. I've been warned if I ever return to PI after reporting both that *** exists and what is in their own paper I face the risk or being arrested or turned away at immigration as an undesirable. They don't seem to need any good reason to arrest you, they just hold you until you pay their bribe.

No, thanks, I want to enjoy where I go, and look forward to reporting on and promoting Thailand over PI based not at all on the girls or wonderful clubs, but the fact I can't tell it like it is and have to play games. There is no need for such games in Thailand, where tourists of all kinds are welcome. Plus the attitudes from a Buddhist background are so sexually positive vs. Catholic repression (although interestingly 2nd wives are common in PI but not talked about).

While people in Thailand don't like their sexual attractions advertised over other wonderful things in Thailand they don't censor or repress factual reporting as in the corrupt PI. Even their response to the recent Newsweek article saying Thailand's greatest assets were *** and golf, got a polite response from Thai government officials who pointed out some of the other wonderful attractions of Thailand.

Thailand has tourist police that help tourists, PI police look for bribes. There is a huge cultural difference which I think needs to be reported so men can make informed choices in their travel plans.

I've also had both E-mail and phone discussions the the founder of many of Manila's best clubs (Firehouse chain founder) who was featured in the 80s on the cover of Newsweek as one of the best clubs in the world. He called me since he liked my intimacy not just *** discussion on the website. He warned me of the political situation and how I could be in danger if I returned to PI. He told me how he decided to pull out instead of paying for protection, political corruption fees etc. Likewise I understand lots of the owners of PI clubs have pulled out over the years and went to Bangkok where it is much more friendly to *** related business.

I think these are all very good reasons why tourists, especially once they know what is going on prefer Thailand over PI. It is too bad since if it weren't for the political situation, PI has a great deal to offer and none of my bad experiences were related to the bargirls - I had some great experiences as my report discusses and it never mentions any of the bad experiences all of which except EDSA (which isn't in the report) happened after the report was written.

Apparently the censorship is now spreading to the PI newspapers:

I was surprised how the Manila Times was so up front in their reporting of all the corruption in Manila when I was there. From the attacks I got from my honest PI report which did nothing more than discuss bar girls, it is clear PI isn't into honestly or free speech.

The following post is from the soc.culture.filipino newsgroup 7/22/99;
    I am afraid this may come to be known as a sad day in the history of the Republic of the Philippines. The Manila Times has been shut down as of today and the Philippine Daily Inquirer is under assault. Freedom of the press and freedom of speech are being eroded if not yet completely eliminated, and uncertain, unspecified changes in the Constitution are being sought. These things all too closely resemble a portent of dictatorship much as during the Marcos years.

SEE MANILA TIMES NATIONS MOST TRUSTED NEWSPAPER CLOSED
    Cops and burly men seize copies of Final Edition Another example only wanting what they want to have published - Seek Government control of press since it was too honest!

Do we spend tourist dollars regardless of the local political situation or do some of us have a social conscious and even though it doesn't directly effect our "fun" do we consider the fact a government may be corrupt in our decision where we spend "fun" money? That is for each individual to decide for themselves.

Tourist Falsely being accused of Rape and having to pay off huge bride to Police and Bargirl

An E-mail I received about corruption and hypocrisy that needs to be exposed, and my reply

$10 million of funds for Philippines' poor Allegedly Diverted

THE PHILIPPINES
    Population: 66.2 million (1994). 52.8% are under 20 years old! (2004)

Official Languages: Filipino (Tagalog) & English

Capitol : Manila, with more than 8 million people (Larger than New York City!)

Land Size :116,000 square miles comprising 7,107islands, of which 880 are inhabited; the two largest, Luzon and Mindanao, account for more than 64 percent of the entire land area, which is slightly larger than Arizona.

Government : Republic since 1946. The 1987 constitution provides for a bicameral legislature with a president, elected for a single six-year term, as head of state and chief executive. The 24 members of the Senate are elected for five years and the 200 members of the House of Representatives for three. Up to 50 additional members of the House are appointed by the president to represent various minority groups.

Climate: Tropical except highlands. Average temperature at sea level is 85 degrees Fahrenheit, with overnight lows around 72 degrees Fahrenheit. High humidity and heavy rainfall, especially from June to November.

Currency :Philippine peso. P1=100 centavos. Notes are in denominations of 500, 100, 50, 20, 10, 5 and 2 pesos; coins in denominations of 5, 2 and 1 pesos as well as 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 centavos.

The People

Correct Name :Filipinos (the people collectively); Filipinos (men); Filipinas (woman).

Ethnic Makeup: More than 95 percent of Malay decent.

Value System: Filipinos are casual and fun-loving, sensitive and hospitable people. Person and family honor are stressed, as well as dignity and pride. Filipinos accept what comes their way and bear it with hope and patience. Education is highly valued and families make great sacrifices to educate their children. Bayanihan is the communal spirit that enables Filipinos to come together and help each other at a moment's in times of need.

Family: The family is more important than the individual, and interdependence is more important than independence. The extended family is the basis of society, with the clan providing security and easing the impact of illness or unemployment. Divorce is illegal, families are large, and the mother's advice is listened to and followed.

Religion: 85 percent Roman Catholic, 8 percent other Christian, 4 percent Muslim.

Greetings: English greetings are customary. Show respect for elders by greeting the oldest person present first. Children may take a visitor's hand and press it against their forehead as a sign of respect.

Names and Titles: Use Mr., Mrs., Miss or appropriate professional title + family name until specifically invited by your Filipino hosts or colleagues to use their given names. Engineers, architects, lawyers, doctors and others use professional titles.

Many women retain their maiden name when they marry. Some women add their husband's family name after a hyphen. Example: Mrs. Maria Bacani-Aquino. "Vda," written between a woman's maiden name and her husband's family name, means she is a widow. Example: Mrs. Maria Bacani vda Aquino.

Most Filipino families have Hispanic names due to more than three centuries of Spanish rule.

Body Language: The people are smiling, open, warm and friendly. There is more touching than in most other Asian countries. People of the same gender may hold hands in public as a sign of friendship.

If Filipinos don't understand a question, they open their mouths. Raised eyebrows signify recognition and agreement. Laughter may convey pleasure or embarrassment; it is commonly used to relieve tension or in emotional situations.

Avoid prolonged eye contact or staring. It could be misinterpreted as a challenge. Although staring is considered rude, Filipinos may stare at or even touch foreigners, especially in areas where foreigners are rarely seen.

Standing with your hands on your hips means you are angry.

Never beckon with your index finger; this is an insult. Instead, extend your arm and hand, palm down, and make a scratching motion with your fingers.

To indicate two of something, raise your ring and pinkie fingers.

Touch someone's elbow lightly to attract attention. Do not tap people on the shoulder.

Filipinos don't point at an object or a person. Instead, they shift their eyes toward an object or nurse their lips and point with their mouth.

Manners: Western utensils are used. The fork is often held in the left hand and used to push food onto the spoon, which is held in the right hand.

Don't sit until your host seats you. The guest of honor generally is seated at the head of the table. It is polite to decline the first offer of seating, food or drink. Accept the second offer. The host generally gives the first serving to guests. After that, serve yourself. Keep your hands above the table during dinner.

Compliment the host on the good food; eating heartily is the sincerest compliment. Leave a small amount of food on your plate when you are finished eating; place your fork and spoon on your plate.

Do not get drunk--it is considered "greedy." Filipino women rarely drink alcohol in public. Do not offer them liquor. Women generally drink soft drinks, orange juice or calamansi (a local citrus fruit drink).

Home : Some Filipinos remove shoes in their homes; follow your host's example. Do not refer to the woman of the house as the "hostess." The term is often used to refer to prostitutes.

Helpful Hints : Show respect for the elderly. Greet them first. Offer your seat if none is available.

Always ask permission before photographing anyone.

Expect to be asked personal questions. Don't be offended. These questions show interest. Feel free to ask the same questions in return, especially about family.

Speak softly and control your emotions in public. Make requests, not demands. Bargain everywhere except in large department stores.

Never bring disgrace or dishonor on a person. This is a disaster not only for the individual, but also for his or her family.

Never criticize anyone, especially in public. Don't criticize a person's family, the country or the culture!

A lot of people were ecstatic with the news that Paypal has now added the Philippines on its list of supported countries. However, the inclusion was far from what we're expecting. It's even far from a half-baked launch.

The limited Paypal access only allows users from the Philippines to sign up for a Paypal account and add their US-accepted credit cards to top up their account. That means one can only send money and it has to come thru your credit card " that's it.

You can't even transfer from a bank account so if you don't have any credit card, your Paypal account is basically useless. You can't receive funds either so what's the point?

The only other way I see this working now is if you're a spender and the merchant you are paying only accepts Paypal. How about freelancers, designers, programmers and netrepreneurs? Will they be able to use their newly signed-up Paypal account and proudly paste that Verified Paypal badge on their website? Nope.

I think it will even confuse and frustrate their potential clients " with all the hooplah that Paypal is available in the Philippines only to find out that they can't actually pay them enterprising Filipinos thru Paypal.

I guess this restrited launch only means one thing " eBay doesn't trust the Philippines yet. They still think we're just a bunch of fraudsters and hackers and I can't blame them. Yeah, the risks still outweighs the benefits.

For the meantime, let's just stick to what really works

corner curve
    BootsnAll Travel Community

BootsnAll Members Online
    There are currently 19 BootsnAll Members and 179 sightseers on the boards.
    Andromeda, Arre, bluestar, Budds Abroad, gypsygirl60, hickatee, Jester, jusjoeking, kj115, lust2wander, megtrip, moniak, Mr. Chris D, naturegirl321, Peace4All, Sky Annie, static, Tommyspanky1, TravelRich
    BnA Home BootsnAll Travel Forums Travel Forums Hop To Forum Categories Destination Forums Hop To Forums Asia Travel Is the Philippines dangerous to travel in?
    Page 1 2
    Go

New

Search

Notify

Tools

Admin

New PM!
    Personal Zone
    Travel Forums
    BootsnAll Chat Rooms
    Buddies
    Ignore List
    Groups
    Permissions
    Private Messaging
    Notifications
    Favorites
    More...
    Discussion
    Poll
    Private Message
    Photo Al***
    Keyword Search

Search current forum only
    Advanced Search
    New Since your Last Visit
    Active Topics in this Category
    Add to My Favorites
    Printer Friendly Format
    Email a Friend
    Help
    Manage Topic
    Manage Content in This Topic
    Manage Members
    Online Now
    Control Panel
    -star Rating Rate It! Login/JoinHello, [Logout]
    klinck
    Lost in Place
    Picture of klinck
    This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?

Posted 27 May 2006 13:46
    What is your experiences with the philippines, is it safe to travel in?

Posts: 92 | Location: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: 06 March 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    elAdi
    Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago
    Picture of elAdi

Posted 01 June 2006 04:04 Hide Post
    Hell yes. I went to the Philies right after 9/11 - when everybody was scared wittless and after a few kidnapping incidences. One month. On my own. In 'off-the-beaten-track' destinations (as far as this is possible on the Phillies). No problems what so ever. Philipine people are mostly very friendly and hospitable. There are a few exceptions in the cities, of course. Take some care when you dive into Manila night-life. Otherwise it should be clear sailing. Bad things we read in the media about the Abu Sayyaf happen mostly in and around Mindanao. The kidnappings happened on a particular group of islands almost in Indonesia - and where in rather high-end resorts.

Generally you don't have much to worry about. You'll rather drown durin one of the many boat trips than experiencing terrorist activities.

If you want to read a bit about my experience on the Philippines, read my Philippines diary.

Adrian

----------------------------------------------
    My personal travel website.
    www.aresthetics.ch/trav
    ------------------------------
    "Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

Posts: 2058 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 27 December 2002 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by elAdi posted 01 June 2006 04:04 Show Post
    klinck
    Lost in Place
    Picture of klinck

Posted 01 June 2006 10:18 Hide Post
    Its wasn't teorrist attacks I was thinking of, rather normal crime as getting mugged etc.

Posts: 92 | Location: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: 06 March 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by klinck posted 01 June 2006 10:18 Show Post
    crazyal
    Knows What a Schengen Visa Is
    Picture of crazyal

Posted 05 June 2006 15:45 Hide Post
    I've been in the P.I. several times before and after NineEleven. You are asking for an opinion on crime and muggings, etc.

Comparing the Philippines to Thailand I think, on the surface, the P.I. appears slightly more dangerous.

Everywhere you go in Manila you cannot ignore the fact that so many Seven Eleven stores, hotels, bars, and shopping malls, etc. have armed guards checking bags and generally doing "guard" stuff. I expect to see armed guards in front of banks but to see one in front of a Seven Eleven store seems a little odd to me.

Many streets are dark at night, often with people aimlessly lurking about. There is a little unease when walking around some areas of town at night.

Both Bangkok and Pattaya look a little cleaner to me (my opinion) than the equivalent Manila and Angeles City. I feel slightly safer in Thailand than the Philippines. Government services seem to work more efficiently in Thailand, whether it is sanitation or police work. This affects how I think and feel about the Philippines.

However, I will be in the P.I. this weekend, leaving on Thursday morning. Being cautious doesn't mean I don't like the P.I. I find the Filipino people generous, friendly and helpful. Most of the Filipinos speak English fluently, lots of local newspapers and TV shows are in English too. Huge new mall just opened in Manila. Can't wait to return.

Mabuhay

Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

Posts: 312 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 03 November 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by crazyal posted 05 June 2006 15:45 Show Post
    crazyal
    Picture of crazyal

Posted 09 June 2006 18:28 Hide Post
    UPDATE

Arrived back in Manila, the last time I was here was around one year ago. Happy to see quite a few changes, at least in the areas I usually haunt.

I usually stay in the Ermita area, not far from the U.S. Embassy. I immediately noticed one of the main streets,Roxxes Boulevard, all bright with new lighting and lots of late night shoppers and walkers. Last year it was dark and full of squatters. The new mall is off this street.

Other nearby streets have new lighting and the streets were much, much, much cleaner than last year!

Lots of improvement over the last year, the new mall is huge!!! (You still have armed guards outside Seven Eleven Stores, mall entrances, bars, hotels and even some big restaurants.)

Have a good trip.

Posts: 312 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 03 November 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by crazyal posted 09 June 2006 18:28 Show Post
    Beach***minGal
    Thorn Tree Refugee
    Picture of Beach***minGal

Posted 13 June 2006 23:01 Hide Post
    Hey, local girl here! I have been living here all my life. Is the Philippines dangerous to travel in? What do you think i'll answer you with? Hehehe. Just ask away if you've got specific questions.

crazyal, welcome back to our crazy world! Glad you liked it enough for you to come back. Manila huh... that is one crazy place. Even I try to stay away from it, but I can't! Haha. I live very close to it. There are other cities that are, in my opinion, better to be staying at like Makati or Quezon City. Then of course there are those thousand other islands you can explore!

Posts: 7 | Location: Philippines | Registered: 11 October 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by Beach***minGal posted 13 June 2006 23:01 Show Post
    nina9702
    Holds PhD in Packing

Posted 14 June 2006 01:36 Hide Post
    Yay! Another Pinay on board Big Grin

klinck: The Philippines is safe enough. There's the usual muggers, pick pockets and scammers around. You'll get noticed more if you're Caucasian and expect people to call you Joe. That can either mean they're going to be really friendly and hospitable towards you or they're going to be really "friendly" and "hospitable."

crazyal: Welcome back to the Philippines! How long will you be staying here?

Don't mind me, I'm just wandering.

Posts: 177 | Location: Manila | Registered: 04 January 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by nina9702 posted 14 June 2006 01:36 Show Post
    Beach***minGal
    Thorn Tree Refugee
    Picture of Beach***minGal

Posted 14 June 2006 02:55 Hide Post
    just for you to know... I've never been mugged before R*** maybe that's because I never wear jewelry when I'm out wandering the streets of Manila.

how about you nina?(i dare ask!) Smile

Posts: 7 | Location: Philippines | Registered: 11 October 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by Beach***minGal posted 14 June 2006 02:55 Show Post
    nina9702
    Holds PhD in Packing

Posted 14 June 2006 06:15 Hide Post
    Haven't gotten mugged yet, but my cellphone has magically vanished from my bag a couple of times.

Posts: 177 | Location: Manila | Registered: 04 January 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by nina9702 posted 14 June 2006 06:15 Show Post
    crazyal
    Picture of crazyal

Posted 14 June 2006 12:20 Hide Post
    You locals are lucky, try being a "Cano" walking around town and have hundreds of "watch and silver dollar" sellers pestering you. Not to mention the "money changer touts and viagra salesmen" hitting you up. Fortunately when you continue walking they don't like to leave their particular sales area and they soon drop off. Sometimes they even walk into poles when they get wrapped up in their sales pitch, not that I would ever walk closer to a curb or pole.

New mall is pretty big and it seems like they used their heads and planned for lots of toilets. Huge crowd over the weekend, hope they have the business to support the mall after the newness wears off.

Ignored post by crazyal posted 14 June 2006 12:20 Show Post
    nina9702
    Holds PhD in Packing

Posted 14 June 2006 13:17 Hide Post
    You know, I haven't been to the new mall yet (I'm assuming you're referring to the Mall of Asia). I heard from a friend that it was indeed huge and that they had golf carts for senior citizens so they can get around easily.

Ignored post by nina9702 posted 14 June 2006 13:17 Show Post
    crazyal
    Picture of crazyal

Posted 20 June 2006 00:56 Hide Post
    I did see some people in motorized carts. I don't know where they got the carts from. The Mall of Asia was very crowded. Hope there is enough shoppers to support the place.

Robinson Mall, off Padre Faura, Ermita is always full of shoppers, even on weekdays. I just left there around an hour and a half ago, got a whole bunch of shoppers doing their thing there. Even I spent a whole 20 pesos on brownies at the supermarket bakery.

Al

Ignored post by crazyal posted 20 June 2006 00:56 Show Post
    PhilBill
    Armchair Traveler
    Picture of PhilBill

Posted 28 June 2006 16:44 Hide Post
    BILL'S TRAVEL TIPS
    1.) Always carry small change in Pesos, Coins and 5, 10, 20 and 50
    notes. That saves you the annoyance from the very common reply, "sorry
    no change".

2.) Ask someone about taxi or jeepney, tricycle fares BEFORE you get
    in. Pay and walk away. NEVER ask "How much?" because the price goes
    up. A MOVING Taxi is too busy working so it's a better, more honest
    taxi and a parked taxi is waiting for victim. Tip the taxi driver P10
    to P20 to reward him for not hassling you. Good Karma always comes
    back to you.

3. ) Never change money on the street nor inside a restaurant. You
    will ALWAYS lose and usually almost half your money. These money
    change scam artists are VERY good and show that the hand is always
    quicker than the eye.

4. ) Never gamble with Filipinos not pool, cards, chess or any game
    for money and not even for drinks. It's safer not to gamble. It's one
    example in life where when you win you lose and when you lose you
    lose.

5. ) Never raise your voice at a Filipino away from your own
    neighborhood. Never call a Filipino "STUPID". They are very sensitive
    about it. If you do get angry and make the mistake. Please leave the
    place as soon as possible .Go Away Fast because you are in more
    DANGER than you realize. Filipinos do not like to fight and "fair
    fights" are not the custom, "fight to kill" is.

6. ) Forget about the 2 words "WHY" and "SHOULD" or you get constant
    headache trying to understand why things happen like they do in places
    outside your own country, especially the Philippines. Acceptance is
    the preferable attitude. There are too many things for you to
    question, so it's better for you not to start. So just relax and enjoy
    the positive aspects of your surrroundings with a sense of humor.

7. ) Expect everything to be late and slow. Life stops at LUNCH.
    Schedules change and the weather is unpredictable. Telephones,
    electricity, and water - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

8. Never accept drinks, candy, or fruit from strangers, especially
    young women, in Manila. In the past few years a few of our guests have
    been drugged using the above methods after being met in Rizal Park,
    shopping malls, the open markets and even on the bus. We have never
    heard about this happening in other parts of the Philippines.

9.) Always wear a cloth type money belt which is worn around your waist under your clothes instead of those leather or vinyl pouch waist bags with several zippered pockets because psychologically they appear as you are advertising your valuables. It may seem a bit awkward to reach under the edge of your pants to get your money or travelers checks at a bank but it's MUCH SAFER. Even when you drink or otherwise indulge too much your money is much safer near your - - - -

10.) Don't WORRY, BE HAPPY :-)
    We have these posted on the wall of our small hotel / hostel near the Manila airports but you could apply them them to many other undeveloped countries as well.

Feel FREE to ask us questions about living,relocating & traveling in the Philippines;learn more by visiting our website, Explore Philippines at: http://asiabill.pages.web.com

Posts: 38 | Location: Manila / Boracay Island / 3 Months/Year "On the Road Again" | Registered: 17 September 2001 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by PhilBill posted 28 June 2006 16:44 Show Post
    PhilBill
    Armchair Traveler
    Picture of PhilBill

Posted 28 June 2006 16:46 Hide Post
    Here's an old email answering the same question. "NO Worries , I arrived in the Philippines back in January 1980 and have NEVER felt any kind of threat or fear. The Foreign Embassy Travel Warnings about most countries is unjustified; I just got back from a 3+ month trip in Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, arriving in Bali 5 days after the Bali Bombing # 2. I completely ignore warnings about Americans traveling in a predominantly Muslim country and am glad I did because Indonesians are the friendliest Muslims in the world and not once received any negative vibes when I said I was an American; in fact mostly received positive comments. Last year I went trekking in the Himalayas of Nepal where there were warnings about the Maoists in the mountains.

98% of the Philippines is perfectly safe and there are so many enforcement agencies ( Coast Guard, Aklan Police, Boracay Police, Philippine Army and two Security Agencies )here on Boracay there's nothing to worry about at all; life's a beach. The ONLY areas to avoid are the Sulu Islands of Tawi Tawi, Basilan south of Zamboanga, the Lake Lanao area and the North Catabato area , all three predominantly Muslim areas in Mindanao; 90% of Mindanao is perfectly safe also.

Hope that helps you; the American government is focused on spreading fear around the world so it's in their economic interest to discourage international travel and encourage Americans to keep spending and consuming at their local shopping malls and keep using their credit cards. Cheers, Bill"

Feel FREE to ask us questions about living,relocating & traveling in the Philippines;learn more by visiting our website, Explore Philippines at: http://asiabill.pages.web.com

Posts: 38 | Location: Manila / Boracay Island / 3 Months/Year "On the Road Again" | Registered: 17 September 2001 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by PhilBill posted 28 June 2006 16:46 Show Post
    klinck
    Lost in Place
    Picture of klinck

Posted 29 June 2006 01:40 Hide Post
    Thank you all, I think I will go to the Philippines, with less worries.

Ignored post by klinck posted 29 June 2006 01:40 Show Post
    lark
    Lost in Place

Posted 30 June 2006 14:37 Hide Post
    PI is no more dangerous than the states in my opinion. i feel most paranoid at home. PI was a blast, manila is seedy as hell at night but what city isnt? everywhere else we went was awesome.

Posts: 71 | Location: ahh yes location is everything | Registered: 09 April 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by lark posted 30 June 2006 14:37 Show Post
    crazyal
    Picture of crazyal

Posted 30 June 2006 14:58 Hide Post
    nina9702
    Armchair Traveller
    Posted 14 June 2006 04:36
    Yay! Another Pinay on board

crazyal: Welcome back to the Philippines! How long will you be staying here?

Nina,

Sorry, Just noticed this question today. I was only in the P.I. for around 10 days this time. I took a break for a week in Thailand and then back to Manila.

Back in the U.S. now. My first intro to the Philippines was when I was in the Navy a long time ago when I was only a kid. Have friends living in Angeles.

Will be back again sometime after September. Glad to see so many GOOD improvements in Manila.

AL

Ignored post by crazyal posted 30 June 2006 14:58 Show Post
    angiebrown
    Guidebook Dependent

Posted 05 July 2006 06:57 Hide Post
    It would be best, klinck, if you had a host in Manila to look after you. It doesn't matter if it's a friend of a friend of a friend - Filipinos will go out of their way to be hospitable - just as long as there's some sort of "link."

I'm a Filipina who lived all my life in Manila but just very recently moved to one of the Northern provinces (Ilocos).

The tourist towns outside of Manila are much safer, and there's plenty to see in the country. Don't hesitate to ask me about the roads less traveled. I've been to 29 provinces (out of 70+) and counting Big Grin

Posts: 19 | Location: Philippines | Registered: 29 April 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by angiebrown posted 05 July 2006 06:57 Show Post
    gypsysoul
    Picture of gypsysoul

Posted 06 July 2006 05:19 Hide Post
    Hi Klink!

I'm glad you decided to visit the PI. I live here and have lived here most of my life (except for 2 yrs in London), and have to say I feel safer walking the streets of Manila than I ever did walking the streets of London at night.

A lot of what you hear is usually exaggerated, and most of it really pertains to the southernmost provinces (Basilan etc) where there is still unrest.

I hope you find the Philippines to your liking, enjoy! Smile

http://gypsysoul73.blogspot.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Manila, Philippines | Registered: 04 May 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
    Ignored post by gypsysoul posted 06 July 2006 05:19 Show Post
    sirenna
    Thorn Tree Refugee

Posted 13 October 2006 04:59 Hide Post
    PhilBill's tips are spot on. If you follow that advice you will most likely have no problems here. Treat people with respect and keep your eyes open for scam artists. They are able to spot a newcomer with uncanny precision. Avoid eye contact with vendors and salespeople and remember if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    Apart from the odd petty theft, in the 8 years I have lived here I have not been the victim of any serious crimes. Head out from the city and you'll see a vast difference in the way people treat you. Tourist destinations like Boracay are great for single travellers and are very 'foreigner friendly' - there's way less crime than in the city.

Never Again! The 35th Martial Law Commemoration

A repost from last year. Changed, added, and deleted some details here and there.

Exactly today, people would look back 35 years in the past, and remember the pains and hardships they had to go through in the hands of a fascist leader. Exactly today, people would again experience - in monochromatic lens - the violations and abuses made by the military and the state against them. Exactly today, people would remember that it has been 35 years since the declaration of (the first) Martial Law here in the Philippines.

Thirty-five years. That should mean something. Feelings of suffering, loss, pain. Basically feelings of despair - whipped up and sliced and mixed, all in the span of 35 years. But then, maybe, maybe we kids do not really feel anything about it at all. Maybe we're apathetic to this fact because we haven't been born yet that time. ****, I know I existed not even in dreams. Maybe we blow this off because we think we do not experience the same tyranny and repression our elders have experienced during the Marcos regime.

Oh, wait. We do not?

How about Karen Empeno and Sherlyn Cadapan, UP students who have been abducted and still remain missing to this day? How about Chris Hugo and Rie Mon Guran, who have been killed by people believed to be in the military? How about Jonas Burgos? Abducted then tagged as a rebel (as if it's an excuse for him to be abducted or killed). Didn't they...Don't they represent you, the youth?

Today we commemorate Ferdinand Marcos' declaration of the Martial Law 35 years ago. And that things that time and this time aren't as different as we think they are. You know, the more things change, the more they stay the same? Possibly the only difference is that the name of the dictator right now is Arroyo. Ohhh, fascists! They come in all shapes and sizes, don't they? And now the chosen demon has come into the face of the earth in a rather short and intelligent form of GMA. How...sweet....

Maybe most of us can't be bothered because we have our own dummy lives to live, and our love life's being a *****. And our parents are the ones who work their asses off anyway! Some say I shouldn't care, but honestly, how can I not care about the things I see, hear, and feel?

26 Reactions

1. kubi
    September 21st, 2007 at 10:48

the tragedy of our generation is apathy. the tragedy of the Filipino is a short memory.
    2. jhay
    September 21st, 2007 at 12:25

That apathy is fueled by imperialist machinations tru globalization and *ouch* the internet, because MTV, Britney Spears et al are so Web 1.0, consumerism and the "global villager" mentality is the foundation for this new-found apathy, in particular, the youth.

-grabe! Nosebleed ba daw? Pero seryoso ha, hehe
    3. Talamasca
    September 21st, 2007 at 14:45

Shari, this is so moving. *pulls hanky, dabs tears away wtf*

It's no secret that the Filipino youth today are, to put it bluntly, bloody ignorant. Not only that, they just don't seem to give a flying **** about anyone else so long as they're provided for with their iPods and cool hand phones and whatever else that floats their boat. Like it or not, we are the luckiest and most provided-for generation ever, but the majority are also extremely selfish, ignorant, conformistic and conservative, even though everyone thinks they're being oh-so-individualistic. Grow ****ing up mmmkk? Enough said.

Which reminds me, today marks the second year of my blogging career!!111

Uh-huh, my whole blogging shenanigan is a proud and free Martial Law Baby wtf wtf.
    4. f1nch
    September 21st, 2007 at 15:55

I think all we need is an invasion
    5. sharmaine
    September 22nd, 2007 at 7:05

which makes me think.. the fight for independence against the Americans long time ago has become futile and worthless. I would rather be a colony of America than be colonized by selfish, greedy Filipino government officials who are only thinking of their own pockets and their crave for money and power ...
    6. Felisa
    September 22nd, 2007 at 12:55

Asking this is going to make me feel really ignorant and out of touch with Filipino news but I guess I'd rather be a fool for 5 minutes than not ask and be a fool for life (I got that from a fortune cookie! )

Anyways... who do you think is behind the abductions and the set ups? Is it Gloria?
    7. Karlo
    September 22nd, 2007 at 16:04

That apathy is fueled by imperialist machinations tru globalization and *ouch* the internet, because MTV, Britney Spears et al are so Web 1.0, consumerism and the "global villager" mentality is the foundation for this new-found apathy, in particular, the youth.

-grabe! Nosebleed ba daw? Pero seryoso ha, hehe

Are you really serious? Is the Internet merely an imperialist machination established by the ruling classes of the world to further their cultural hegemony?

Please do elaborate. Thank you.
    8. Karlo
    September 22nd, 2007 at 16:22

Asking this is going to make me feel really ignorant and out of touch with Filipino news but I guess I'd rather be a fool for 5 minutes than not ask and be a fool for life (I got that from a fortune cookie! )

Anyways... who do you think is behind the abductions and the set ups? Is it Gloria?

Hi there Felisa,

Don't feel that way. Seeking out awareness of the things happening around us is always the start of many good things (and mind you, more and more questions in the future).

On the matter of abductions, local and international human rights organizations (including the Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, the United Nations, etc.) have convincingly attributed the abductions (as well as the killings) of social activists and leftists to the State's security forces (i.e. the military and the police).

On the other hand, claims that the president directly ordered the abductions and killings still needs to be proven. However, confidential palace documents do point out to the existence of a massive and systematic plan to wipe out legal activist groups (which the gov't has tagged as "enemies of the state" and the AFP equates with armed rebels).

Is the president behind this elaborate plan to wipe out legitimate dissenters? You decide.

Anyway, what do you mean by "the set ups"?
    9. Karlo
    September 22nd, 2007 at 16:39

which makes me think.. the fight for independence against the Americans long time ago has become futile and worthless. I would rather be a colony of America than be colonized by selfish, greedy Filipino government officials who are only thinking of their own pockets and their crave for money and power...

Sharmaine,

The Americans did not come to the Philippines to merely help us out in a nice way and all that. That the period of American colonization did present some benefits is true (public education, etc.), but this took a secondary importance, and was even complimentary to their primary aim of having a source of cheap raw resources, cheap agricultural products and cheap labor and an equally cheap market for their expensive surplus products and onerous surplus capital.

The political leaders and democratic institutions that emerged during that time, as historian Ruby Paredes wrote, were grotesquely distorted to suit the whims of the colonizers "rather than developing organically according to the traditions and requirements of the populace."

Thus, this same "selfish, greedy Filipino government officials who are only thinking of their own pockets and their crave for money and power" that we have today are a legacy of American colonization.

Cheers!
    10. kingdaddyrich
    September 22nd, 2007 at 21:34

lagi nang kadikit ng paggunita sa martial law ang mga taong nagdusa noong panahonni marcos.. at hula ko, hindi ito matatapos... hanggang sa magsawa tayo..
    11. L.A
    September 23rd, 2007 at 6:22

Good thing is (me thinks) Martial Law is not that easy to execute than it was before...
    12. cigarette_girl
    September 23rd, 2007 at 23:43

the problem is short-term memory loss.

where is imelda right now?
    13. Lisa
    September 25th, 2007 at 9:32

LA said: "Good thing is (me thinks) Martial Law is not that easy to execute than it was before..."

Gloria doesn't have to anymore dearie ... the plunder (and I'm not referring to Erap), the abductions, the power of the military, and what Butch Dalisay (Pinoy Penman) refers to the state-sponsored moronization of the Filipino continues to this day, without any dissent on our part.

The Filipino will not protest as a matter of principle, only when personally aggrieved. And the powers that be know that so well.
    14. Karlo
    September 25th, 2007 at 10:51

Gloria doesn't have to anymore dearie ... the plunder (and I'm not referring to Erap), the abductions, the power of the military, and what Butch Dalisay (Pinoy Penman) refers to the state-sponsored moronization of the Filipino continues to this day, without any dissent on our part.

The Filipino will not protest as a matter of principle, only when personally aggrieved. And the powers that be know that so well.

Hear, hear.
    15. Kris
    September 25th, 2007 at 11:23

Partially agreeing and disagreeing with Sharmaine: I'd rather have a dissolved Philippines rather than a country colonized by its elites, middle class, lower class, the religious people in a wrong way, etc... It's not only the elites who have colonized the country, but all classes and each are battling for political, economic, social, religious dominance. Just look how our people vote. You dance ocho ocho, you're assured of a seat in congress, senate or even the presidency. Might was well break the Philippines not according to ethno-lingustic territory but on political fanaticism'. A portion goes to pro-Eraps, pro-Gloria, pro-Lacson, pro-Marcos. Filipinos are too egotistical that's why we never learn. Many of us can't accept our own mistakes " small scale pa lang, ayaw na natin ng law'. Example are those people who blatantly jaywalk in front of a law enforcer and if apprehended(good faith apprehension), ang daming excuse and many a times, they act as if they were the victims'(hello, jaywalking?). Sasabihin pa nila porket mahirap lang kami'. Duh. The poor people who abide in good faith are usually the ones who are able to get out of poverty.

These factors make me think that Filipinos, as a whole, are grossly incapacitated to govern a country. Things seems to be better for the indios during the Espa?oles and Americanos occupation. I could not blame the Benguet elders for thinking that things were better during the American occupation. They were granted their ancestral lands something that the Philippine state is not willing to. ****, titled land na nga yung Camp John Hay sa mga Carni?os, but it's in the hands of... *toot* and US Supreme court pa yung nagbaba nun ha. Legally, it is owned by this Ibaloi family, but not physically and mukhang yung CJH, magiging Korean colony na and will be changed to Kim Jong Hee'. The Spaniards did not really force the Igorots to join the mainstream'(there was Spanish presence in the mountains but due to resistance to assimilate, the Igorots did not. Only a few did but to a small extent like adopting Spanish names and not the Spanish culture itself) unlike the present bigoted Filipinos are doing now " trying to depict that indigenous ways are inferior and are wrong'. With all the hazards of our advanced civilization, malay mo ang natatanging paraan para masalba ang mundo ay..maging... primitive nomad ulet " if this happens, this is something that the non-indigenous will owe to the existing indigenous people.
    16. sharmaine
    September 25th, 2007 at 12:07

Thus, this same "selfish, greedy Filipino government officials who are only thinking of their own pockets and their crave for money and power" that we have today are a legacy of American colonization.

Cheers!

Hi

I don't think so. I think that has to be attributed to the Spanish era ... 300+ years of Spanish regime hurt us tremendously.. and they have been effective in their "divide and conquer" tactic. So I don't think the American era has to be blamed for that.

Also, if you compare Philippines to Guam or Hawaii, I would rather be in the latter than in the former. Admit it, with the kind of government officials and some of our countrymen's mentality, we will never progress. All of us have faults here, and it's unfair to blame it to Americans.

17. sharmaine
    September 25th, 2007 at 12:15

Sharmaine,

The Americans did not come to the Philippines to merely help us out in a nice way and all that. That the period of American colonization did present some benefits is true (public education, etc.), but this took a secondary importance, and was even complimentary to their primary aim of having a source of cheap raw resources, cheap agricultural products and cheap labor and an equally cheap market for their expensive surplus products and onerous surplus capital.

The political leaders and democratic institutions that emerged during that time, as historian Ruby Paredes wrote, were grotesquely distorted to suit the whims of the colonizers "rather than developing organically according to the traditions and requirements of the populace."

Cheers!

Karlo,

I have to disagree. I don't think it was because of the Americans but I believe it is more of the Spanish era. The latter has caused us so much pain and brought us this crab, divide and conquer mentality. 300+ years of being colonized by Spaniards really had done no good. So I think it's unfair to blame the Americans for that.

Look at how people at Guam and Hawaii are satisfied with their lives .. at least on how they are being paid in their respective jobs. Compare it to the Philippines, where most are like beggars begging for money. I even heard what first-world countries say about us, "Beggars cannot be choosers". and whether we like it or not, we are third-class citizens. Should we belong to the first world country, we will never get such insult.

But then again, we can never and should not bring the past back again. Since we are now an independent country, I hope time will come that we will progress like Singapore, Japan, et.al. Problem is, all of us are at fault here. Some people keep blaming the government, but are they doing something to uplift our country and the lives of our fellow men? Some (or should i say most) of Filipinos do not even know how to drive correctly and politely. They do not even know ethics like how and where to put trashes. In other words, Filipinos are not disciplined themselves. How can you discipline other people if you yourself is not disciplined?

I do not even know but I hope someone as Li Kwan Yu (pardon for the spelling) will step up and will put our Philippines back to where it belongs - a first-class country with first-class citizens.
    18. Ana
    September 25th, 2007 at 12:42

Uhh, Kris, I didn't quite get it. The Philippines colonized by our own countrymen?

I thought a colony is...

...a body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government
    ...a group of animals of the same type living together
    ...a geographical area politically controlled by a distant country
    ...(microbiology) a group of organisms grown from a single parent cell
    - from wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

But I do agree. We do have a really big problem here.
    19. sharmaine
    September 26th, 2007 at 23:41

Very well said Kris Actually I said something similar to the one you wrote (in response to Karlo) but it wasn't posted. It was a long comment too! Oh well, maybe it was automatically moderated by Wordpress since I commented using my office's internet... but I cited almost same points as yours.. Karamihan ng mga Pilipino ayaw ng disiplina. Tapos mag rereklamo na hindi umuunlad ang Pinas. Duh.
    20. Nina
    September 27th, 2007 at 3:13

juss wanted to inform you about my new domain. nothing else is new. heh. =]
    21. Ana
    September 27th, 2007 at 5:15

"Karamihan ng mga Pilipino ayaw ng disiplina. Tapos mag rereklamo na hindi umuunlad ang Pinas. Duh." -> Tama, I agree with both of you on that! Malaking problema natin yan.

But wait a minute, would making the Philippines an American colony solve this"discipline" problem? That is where I agree with Karlo. Yung political system sa bansa n***on at ang mga traditional political families na naghahari n***on ay "legacy ng American colonization."

Tanungin kaya natin si Shari ano yung tingin niya?
    22. Karlo
    September 27th, 2007 at 6:26

would making the Philippines an American colony solve this"discipline" problem?

That is a good question Ana. A basic look at history will tell us that things were not "better for the indios during the Espa?oles and Americanos occupation."

Kris also had a problem with the use of the term "colonize." But that is beside the point. Kris may have mistaken the term for "oppress" or "exploit."

Anyway, at the outset, the status of the country under Spanish colonial rule was colonial and feudal. Society was ruled by despotic landlords composed of Spanish colonial officials, the Catholic religious orders and the local Principalia.

The indios were kept as serfs and were dispossessed. The oppressive Spanish regime imposed tributes, corvee labor, commercial monopolies, excessive land rent, landgrabbing, and other cruel practices on the local population. This cruel order led to hundreds of sporadic revolts which eventually culminated in the 1896 revolution led by the Katipunan.

As for the American colonial period, 126,468 American troops have to murder 600,000 Filipinos, or one sixth of the population of Luzon then, in the Philippine-American war in order to impose their rule.

The "order" the American colonizers imposed became the model for the present corrupt system of Philippine politics. According to the Philippine Investigative Journalism's book The Rulemakers":

The first political parties formed in the Philippines - he Partido Federal and the Partido Nacional - were founded in the early 1900s at the onset of U.S. colonial rule. These parties, despite their differences, were basically vying for the patronage of American colonizers (Paredes 1989). They had to operate within the narrow confines of colonial rule and so were unable to openly articulate the genuine aspirations of Filipinos. "Denied the luxury of integrity and independence," writes historian Ruby Paredes (1989), "native leaders quickly learned a duplicitous political craft of manipulation and dissimulation."

The political institutions introduced by the Americans gave political power to these cacique families and entrenched them in public office for the next hundred years.

Thus, as I said earlier, this same "selfish, greedy Filipino government officials who are only thinking of their own pockets and their crave for money and power" that we have today are a legacy of American colonization.

Indeed, Kubi couldn't be more correct: "the tragedy of our generation is apathy. the tragedy of the Filipino is a short memory."
    23. Jake The Miserable
    September 27th, 2007 at 12:15

Madalas kapag nagkakaroon ng maboteng usapan tong mga tito ko, madalas sabihin ng erpats ko na, kahit papaano, may mabuting nagawa naman ang pagbababa ng Batas Militar. Nasupil ang karahasan, umunlad ang ekonomiya (ewan ko kung yun nga yun), at kung anupaman.

Kung titingnan ko sa malayuang tingin, isa sa mga layunin ng pagpapatupad ng Batas Militar e upang supilin ang mga variables na nagpapalala at nagpapahirap sa sitwasyon ng isang bansa. Pero dahil sa personal na interes ng taong nakaupo sa trono, hindi nakapagtatakang aabusuhin at aabusihin niya ang kapangyarihang ito para sa kanyang kapakanan.

Sa bandang huli, sabi ng erpats ko, "sayang si Marcos."

Sabi ko, "ows?"

Marriage fraud by Philippine girls and Abused American men

The perfect crime

By the National Meditation Center fighting exploitation Our center also supports efforts in Canada to stop immigration fraud

Houston Texas 77354

email scams@nationalmeditation.org

Philippine women beware of, *** marriage fraud , pen pals SCAMS

Men should read this before going to the Philippines save yourself some misery.

If you think they will appreciate you bringing them out of poverty , you'll find out they don't.
    Our web site has prevented 10 scams this year scams that we know of and helped many others" Were contacted by men all over the nation who have been scammed. Its estimated that 70% of the marriages with Philippine women are fraudulent , causing American men a lot of suffering. Filipinos have found out how easy it is to scam Americans they are lining up to place ads on romance sites and my space.

They enter into marriages with Americans solely for immigration purposes. Philippine women have no hesitation in taking advantage of American men, they know they have very little chance of being caught. For a poor girl who's family may make 2,000 a year to come and take 30,000 from you, makes sense its okay to Philippine women. We have information that one girls , father affiliates with a terrorist organization called Abu sayyaff. The sad part is immigration actually aids these girls crimes. The TV stations aid the girls doing articles that help romance companies. We would love for CBS to hear what we have to tell them. Maybe CBS would like to see the letter form INS saying they don't have the money to prosecute theses girls.

Of 12 men that I know that brought Philippine wives home in my Texas community 8 of these women have either committed adultery or engaged in prostitution or engaged in fraud against their husband. 4 divorced so that they could send there money to the Philippines instead of taking care of there families here in the states.

The common problem with men who became victims was they were lonely and based their decision to find a foreign wife on information provided by web sites or other men who got their information from websites selling introductions, you are not prepared to deal with these women.

It is not uncommon for these women to walk off on their kids in the U.S. and leave you just so they can keep sending money to their families. If you object to them sending money they divorce you, its just a new form of extortion. There being taught how to do it and the first thing they will claim in divorce court is emotional abuse. Philippine wives will always put their family first and side with them against you, if you don't send money. They also have a tendency to get very greedy.

While we realize there are many decent women in the Philippines the problems is your most likely to meet the scammer first who is placing dozens of ads. Who does this hurt, the decent women wanting to immigrate and the honest men or women wanting mates. We don't suggest that all Filipina women are bad many have high morals , but the fraud problem is so severe it is high risk to American men.

Common cultural problems with Philippine wives.

Lying in the Philippines is part of the culture.

Believing that you must support their family because you have more.

Philippine women have a hard time adjusting to American society.

They don't have the same values as Americans and why should they, many of them live in conditions that you never even dreamed of..

Often they are very child like and immature.

They have tendency to get extremely greedy.

Emotional problems Philippine Sociopaths and marriage

Many of these girls come from such bad living conditions they are emotionally traumatized, as a result they have trouble demonstrating good parenting skills and emotional attachment or even a interest in ***.
    Philippine women sociopaths remember, the words "I love you," spoken by a sociopath, actually mean "I want to take from you." In the mind of a sociopath, an easy way to take from a person is to marry him or her. And when there's nothing left to take, the sociopath marries another. A lot of these women are simply sociopaths generated by severe poverty.

Use our Anti fraud service before you spend thousand going over seas. If you would like to help, use our services or send a donation.

What the romance tours don't tell you

Tours taking you on trips to the Philippines are actually breaking the law they are putting you at risk by taking you on these marriage tours. is there a way to find a wife legally yes talk to us.

Philippines republic act 6955

An act to declare unlawful the practice of matching Filipino women for marriage to foreign nationals , It is declared unlawful for a person association, club to commit directly or indirectly, to carry own a business or for the purpose the matching of Filipino women for marriage to foreign nationals including the distribution of publications to promote these acts. To solicit enlist or in any manner to attract any Filipino woman to become a member in any club to match women for marriage to foreign nationals. The punishment 6 years in prison.

Ways to protect your self go to the page Protecting yours self from fraud and how to spot a fake.

Our services

Guys We provide humanitarian and personal safety services and training even hostile environment training we also promote antiviolence's Check out some of our training it could save you a lot of misery. Some of you decided not to use our service and later wished you had, its very hard to get anything done after the fact and since you were warned , well you took the chance. Were trying to help the above info is posted as a public service. We run a business and cant answer long emails but here is our contact info nmc@nationalmeditation.org We for fees also help lower your risk of being taken advantage of by our information sessions feel free to contact us.

My wife became so obsessed with money, she abandoned me and her own child, so that she could keep sending her uncle money. You have stolen my wife and my sons future because of your greed. She is not there now to comfort my son, or keep him from harm, or take care of him while he is sick. She will grow old and he will not come to take care of her, like you want my wife to take care of you. My wife now is having to live in a little shack. She will never have enough to buy her a home here. Where is the family honor that you tell people about God bless the Philippines.