publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Can I still get a US passport even if I am over 21 ?

Hello

I was born in Switzerland , as a Swiss citizen to my Swiss mother and my American father.
    Soon after I was born, my father got me a social security number. Later on my father learned of a new rule regarding children born abroad to US citizen , which came in effect in 1987. This rule stated that from 1987 on , children who are born to American citizens are eligible to receive a US passport. Nonetheless, they did not want to give it to me. Now, while coming to the US to study, the immigration officer asked me why I did not have a US passport to which I replied as above. He told me that I had the right for it and should inform myself about US government programs for none American citizens over 21 which are direct relatives to a US citizen. I have checked but until now was unable to find neither a form to fill up nor a person or phone number to speak to someone. Please if you have any info please forward them to me. Many thanks in advance.

Hello

I was born in Switzerland , as a Swiss citizen to my Swiss mother and my American father.
    Soon after I was born, my father got me a social security number. Later on my father learned of a new rule regarding children born abroad to US citizen , which came in effect in 1987. This rule stated that from 1987 on , children who are born to American citizens are eligible to receive a US passport. Nonetheless, they did not want to give it to me. Now, while coming to the US to study, the immigration officer asked me why I did not have a US passport to which I replied as above. He told me that I had the right for it and should inform myself about US government programs for none American citizens over 21 which are direct relatives to a US citizen. I have checked but until now was unable to find neither a form to fill up nor a person or phone number to speak to someone. Please if you have any info please forward them to me. Many thanks in advance.

You have to contact the US Consulate they will tell you how to proceed and provide you the forms necessary.

http://www.travel.state.gov/pa...t/passport_1738.html
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Do you know if your parents registered your birth with the nearest US Consulate, Hekabe? Just because you don't have a US passport doesn't mean that you aren't already a US Citizen.

If not, here's some information straight from the embassy in Bern about what needs to be done.

http://bern.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Not having read the link Aroha posted, even if your parents haven't registered you, you can do that now too. For this, I think you need to proof who you are, who your parents are and that they where married at the time of your birth.

I know this, because my daughter is acquiring her German citizenship/European Passport at this time and I suspect it would work about the same.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

That's right, Koller.

The link I posted outlines everything that needs to go to the Consulate in order to register, though the parents no longer need to be married at the time of the child's birth for them to qualify. There is a residence requirement for the USC parent as well - they have to have lived in the US for 10 years, 5 of those after the age of 14.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Well, first of all I have to thank you Kollerkrot and Aroha for your help. Many, many thanks. And I am sorry for my late replay. Now answering your questions 1. Yes, my father went to the Consulate in Zurich to register me. 2. Yes, I can proof that my parents lived long enough in America and thirdly I just found out that I am mentioned in every tax report . Also, since birth I have a social security cart. Does this help somehow?