50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Step after marrying a US Citizen

Can someone who has had experience with AOS through marriage explain the steps. I would like to know what needs to be done before the marriage, and after the marriage. What forms to be filled out and all that. Also, I would like to know how the steps are in term of getting work permits, travel permit, interview, etc. Timelines are different in each state, but they would still help. Thank you all.

Can someone who has had experience with AOS through marriage explain the steps. I would like to know what needs to be done before the marriage, and after the marriage. What forms to be filled out and all that. Also, I would like to know how the steps are in term of getting work permits, travel permit, interview, etc. Timelines are different in each state, but they would still help. Thank you all.

Someone reply to this please.

Antivirus,

I am, probably not the most competent person to ask about that, but i am working on the same task right now, so i'll tell you what i know, and then may be other members who know more about that will contribute.
    After you get married, your spouse ( if she or he is a USC) has to file I-130 ( petition for alien relative)for you. Then you have to file I-485 ( petition to adjust status or...something...something....that's what i am doing, i am already in the US on theF-1 visa)
    Also affidavit of support ( your spouse as a sponsor,or, if you need , also a joint sponsor have to file these, together with I-130). Medical form with vaccinations and stuff ( HIV and siphylis blood test) for you, I-325A bio info for you and your spouse.
    You can apply for EAD and Advance Parole ( travel document) at the same time. If you are married to US citizen, you can file all of these above at the same time.
    You can find more detailed info at the USCIS website.
    I could have missed something, since it's Friday night..kind of late, brains dosent work well....
    hope it helps

Thank You. I have another question. We came here illegally, but my grandfather(a US citizen) has petitioned for my father with the priority date of December 2000. I was 18 and unmarried at the time. I am being told that becuase of that I am grandfathered under the 245(i) (which expired April 2001) as a derivative of the petition. Is that true? Therefore when I marry I just have to pay a fine and adjust status while staying in the US.

Antivirus

Are you the alien marrying a US citizen?

You can read all about the various procedures on the USCIS site.
    Marriage based process for LPR: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/immvisa.htm#elig
    Marriage based process for US citizen:
    http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm
    245(i): http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/LIFE.htm
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.