50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Interpreter for AOS Interview?

My wife received her letter for the AOS interview appointment recently and it says "If you do not speak English fluently, you should bring and interpreter who is neither a relative nor an interested party in your application". Her English is not very good (she speaks Korean), but I have no idea where to find an interpreter. She knows some people who are both fluent in Korean and English, but they might be considered an "interested party". I read somewhere that the immigration office has interpreters there, but how do I request one or how do I find one on my own?

Thanks

My wife received her letter for the AOS interview appointment recently and it says "If you do not speak English fluently, you should bring and interpreter who is neither a relative nor an interested party in your application". Her English is not very good (she speaks Korean), but I have no idea where to find an interpreter. She knows some people who are both fluent in Korean and English, but they might be considered an "interested party". I read somewhere that the immigration office has interpreters there, but how do I request one or how do I find one on my own?

Thanks

I went thru the same dilemma. My wife is Thai and although she can speak broken English, it's not conversational. Here's my experience for what it's worth.

I did find Thai interpreters by googling keyword "Thai interpreter". I found 2 businesses in our city. The 2 I called charged $220/hr minimum 1 hr. Too expensive for us. So we decided to take a chance and go to the interview w/o an interpreter.

At the interview, the DAO asked my wife if she (1) knew what the interview was about (2) when she arrived in the U.S. and (3) who is the president of the U.S. She answered all the questions well enough in broken English using 1 to 3 word responses.

After that he (the DAO) told both of us that since her English is not very good yet, I should answer all his questions. Much to my wifes' chagrin as she practiced alot by answering as many probable questions as I could think would be asked.

He appeared to concentrate more on the availability, completeness and accuracy of our paperwork. We had everything collated and labeled along with copies for his files. But I think it helped alot that my wife had the presence to greet the DAO upon meeting him, looked attentive during the interview (she attempted to answer more questions herself), was very calm and made a point to say bye and thanks after the interview.

The interview went well. Our AOS petition was approved on the spot. A week later, my wifes conditional green card arrived in the mail.

Good luck on your wifes interview!