free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Student status

I am 29 years old, i live in Ecuador, I have a great job, money in the bank. I just received my tourist visa to the united states. It was always my dream to study in the US and my boss just told me I could put my job on hold for 1 year. So I would love to go to the US to study. I could sponsor myself.
    I would need your advice what is better, If I get my student visa in the embassy here in Ecuador or if I change my status while I am there in the US?
    I would like to travel back home though for short visits from the US.
    Please advise which option comes with less hassle.
    I am just concerned if I get my student visa here in Ecuador then they void my tourist visa and or they give me hard time why I am going again for visa in such short time.
    Thanks you

I am 29 years old, i live in Ecuador, I have a great job, money in the bank. I just received my tourist visa to the united states. It was always my dream to study in the US and my boss just told me I could put my job on hold for 1 year. So I would love to go to the US to study. I could sponsor myself.
    I would need your advice what is better, If I get my student visa in the embassy here in Ecuador or if I change my status while I am there in the US?
    I am just concerned if I get my student visa here in Ecuador then they void my tourist visa and or they give me hard time why I am going again for visa in such short time.
    Thanks you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom77:
    Thanks you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hello Tom77 and welcome to the forum.

May I ask a question or two:
    1. Will your study be to help improve your job, in other words, job related?

2. Or would you study be unrelated to your job?

3. Regardless of whether job related or not, will you obtain a higher degree such as a masters degree and how long do you plan to study?

Once you obtain your student visa, you would be able to travel back home when school is not in session. Most schools here use a semester style format. 5 months for spring, Jan through may, and 5 months in the fall, August through December. Summer months is optional for student and there are breaks between the end of Fall semester and spring semester.

I look forward to hear from you soon.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

My study is not related to my job.

I am sorry, but my question remained unanswered, if I should get the visa in ecuador or change status in the is.
    and if I get the student visa in ecuador then will they void my tourist visa?
    thanks

I can smell this narco from miles away. How do I know? read his shady question.

It is easier to get a student visa at the American Embassy in your country.

Tom77: If you're admitted to America as a tourist, but your real intent is to change your status to F-1 student while in the country...your chances are slim to none.

The best course of action would be to apply to American colleges from Equador, and - once you receive your I-20 document from the college - apply for your visa at the American Embassy. This process will remove the problem of dual intent that arriving as a "tourist" would cause.

The Embassy will cancel your tourist visa once a student visa is issued. However, if you honor the terms of your student visa, obtaining a future tourist visa will be easy. Of course, if you don't honor the terms of your tourist visa, then you'll NEVER get another tourist visa.

I realize that most people from your region seem to think that they can play fast and loose with America's immigration rules...but, this is not true. Americans are fed up with illegal aliens and those who don't respect their country.

Of course I honor my student visa. If someone doesnt than the school reports that person to immigration and then deportation is on the way. Since 911 student visa is a delicate issue, I know. and if it was up to no amnesty here then everybody who enters the US at the port of entry would be shot in the head.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom77:
    My study is not related to my job.

I am sorry, but my question remained unanswered, if I should get the visa in ecuador or change status in the is.
    and if I get the student visa in ecuador then will they void my tourist visa?
    thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Since your study would be unrelated to your job, I am guessing the F visa. One option you migh consider is take a tour of any potential US university or college that you might want to study by using your B1 visa.

Once you decided which university or college you want to attend, you can change your B1 visa to a F visa. The Form you would use is I-539. Thus, your student visa will replace your visitor visa based on the change of purpose of visiting the U.S.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
    Tom77: If you're admitted to America as a tourist, but your real intent is to change your status to F-1 student while in the country...your chances are slim to none.

The best course of action would be to apply to American colleges from Equador, and - once you receive your I-20 document from the college - apply for your visa at the American Embassy. This process will remove the problem of dual intent that arriving as a "tourist" would cause.

The Embassy will cancel your tourist visa once a student visa is issued. However, if you honor the terms of your student visa, obtaining a future tourist visa will be easy. Of course, if you don't honor the terms of your tourist visa, then you'll NEVER get another tourist visa.

I realize that most people from your region seem to think that they can play fast and loose with America's immigration rules...but, this is not true. Americans are fed up with illegal aliens and those who don't respect their country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    SunDevil,
    You might want to read up on I-539 instructions and US Department of State says, Some nonimmigrant visa holders, while present in the U.S., are able to file a request which must be approved by USCIS to change to another nonimmigrant category. See Change My Nonimmigrant Status on the USCIS website.

"Important Note: Filing a request with USCIS for approval of change of status before your authorized stay expires, while you remain in the U.S., does not by itself require the visa holder to apply for a new visa. However, if you cannot remain in the U.S. while USCIS processes your change of status request, you will need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad."