50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: To Sammy

I originally asked this question to Pandora, but maybe you can answer this.

"
    adultery ? how come, isn't that a civil matter ? Does it constitute criminal act ? "

This came up in the discussion thread titled
    " Can GC (permanent residency) be revoked ? ".

I originally asked this question to Pandora, but maybe you can answer this.

"
    adultery ? how come, isn't that a civil matter ? Does it constitute criminal act ? "

This came up in the discussion thread titled
    " Can GC (permanent residency) be revoked ? ".

Hi AK,

I don't know much about adultery in aspect of immigration laws ... but this point came up when we were discussing about I 751 ... sure it could be bad in divorce and removal of condition if its made by alien ... but after getting citizenship I m not quite a sure about it... I meant more than 50 % population does adultery probably if not than still there are higher numbers for adultery ...

I don't think adultery would cause any problem if the person is citizen. Sure if the person is involved in brining prostitution in this country then things are totally different ... otherwise anyone can go in red light area or wherever they want and if s*x act is made with consent of both parties then there is nothing wrong... law cant do a thing about it to both of them if both parties consents for that... sure if there is marriage then other spouse can do a lot with it if he/she has evidences .... May be getting involved with p r o s t i t u t e could be interpreted in other way by laws but don't know abt effect on immigration...

AK:

Adultery is typically a civil matter, and may be recognised in some states are reasonable grounds for divorce. Concerning your enquiry as to how adultery could impact an alien's immigration cause, it is important to note that an alien must be found to be of good moral character when seeking Naturalization.

"...Adultery is another action that may affect your ability to prove good moral character. In the past, sex with someone other than your husband or wife would, if brought to the attention of the INS, disprove your good moral character. Today, you will not necessarily be found lacking in good moral character if you cheat on your spouse. However, your application for naturalization may be denied for acts of adultery that display your disregard for community standards of sexual morality. These include adultery that is intended to destroy your marriage or is publicly flaunted; adultery with a close family member that is, therefore, considered grossly incestuous; adultery involving some form of commercialization".

Swiss ...

u r right...what do ya think in case if someone is citizen by NATZ or birth????

Pasha:

Adultery is considered a breach of social norms and therefore is a matter which would be pursued through civil court and does not carry a criminal consequence. Where adultery is not a crime per se, is does play an important role in the process of securing US citizenship, because it goes to character, and in the Naturalization process, an alien must be able to prove that he/she is of good moral character, prior to receiving such. So, prior to Naturalization, adultery could prevent an alien from becoming a US citizen.

Circumstances which might place a Naturalized citizen at risk of losing his/her status are generally related to whether or not the former alien is honouring the renunciation of his/her former native country and the pledge of alliegance to the US. If it is proved that a Naturalised alien has failed to do so, then citizenship or Naturalization could be revoked.

Once the alien has become a Naturalized citizen, or in the case of an individual being born in the USA, a charge of adultery should have no impact on the individual's right to maintain US citizenship.

Originally posted by swissnut:

Pasha:

Adultery is considered a breach of social norms and therefore is a matter which would be pursued through civil court and does not carry a criminal consequence. Where adultery is not a crime per se, is does play an important role in the process of securing US citizenship, because it goes to character, and in the Naturalization process, an alien must be able to prove that he/she is of good moral character, prior to receiving such. So, prior to Naturalization, adultery could prevent an alien from becoming a US citizen.

Circumstances which might place a Naturalized citizen at risk of losing his/her status are generally related to whether or not the former alien is honouring the renunciation of his/her former native country and the pledge of alliegance to the US. If it is proved that a Naturalized alien has failed to do so, then citizenship or Naturalization could be revoked.

Once the alien has become a Naturalized citizen, or in the case of an individual being born in the USA, a charge of adultery should have no impact on the individual's right to maintain US citizenship.

Pasha:

Circumstances which might place a Naturalized citizen at risk of losing his/her status are generally related to whether or not the former alien is honouring the renunciation of his/her former native country and the pledge of alliegance to the US. If it is proved that a Naturalized alien has failed to do so, then citizenship or Naturalization could be revoked.

Yes swiss that's true....thats what I was thinking about .... Once alien becomes citizen it should matter less coz its kinda more civil act than criminal...Pasha