free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CITIZENSHIP PROBATION?

My N-400 petition for Citizenship has been approved,and the Swearing in is on August 27, my question is,is there a probation period after obatining your Citizenship? Also does the US recognise DUAL CITIZENSHIP. Any input would be very much appreciated.Thank you all.

My N-400 petition for Citizenship has been approved,and the Swearing in is on August 27, my question is,is there a probation period after obatining your Citizenship? Also does the US recognise DUAL CITIZENSHIP. Any input would be very much appreciated.Thank you all.

The US does accept dual citizenship but they expect you to choose their side should your countr and the US go to war.

Call your embassy to find out if they accept dual citizenship.

There is no such thing asprobationary citizenship.Once you become US citizen,your prime loyalty should be for the US side or there is consequence for this thing since you have swore in to defend it.As regards dual citizenship, some countries allow it like Mexico.But of course there is a whole debate on this matter of loyalty should war occurs.Let us know of your country of origin and we'll see whether it recognizes dual citisenship.

The INS would like you to think that they do not allow dual citizenship. They will make you surrender your old passport when citizenship is granted. I was told by an INS officer that I could not retain citizenship of my birth nation; however, that was a blatant lie. Many (most) other countries do not recognize the US's right to strip you of your birth citizenship and will issue a replacement passport upon request. Having dual citizenship does not give you special rights in the US (ie: you can't claim that you are exempt from something because your Japanese citizenship protects you...) You will be considered an American Citizen...

Why do you want to have a dual citizenship? Is there any reason you want to do that? If you become a U.S. A citizen, why don't you take USA as your primary country?.

I am not a USA citizen yet but I will be soon.

If I were you, I would take USA side.

When I apply for my citizenship, I plan on having dual citizenship.
    The reason being that I'm from France and I want my daughter to have the choice to go to college here or there.

Not to mention that traveling back and from Europe is much easier when you are European and I plan on going there every year to see my family when I have the money.

So, you mean it is hard to travel there if you are US citizen?

Not to travel it's not but for everything else.
    My daughter would be able to enter the univesities without problems. Tuition costs almost nothing there.
    Most doors open : )

I hold a British Passport,and it can be used in every European country,and it does entitle me to live and work in any European country,hence my reason on having a DUAL citizenship,like MARIE I would like to have an option on travelling on either my US passport or my BRITISH passport.