publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Vaccinations: recommended or required?

I am a bit confused regarding vaccinations. Many people say they are required, but the I-691 form on the USCIS website say thet are recommended but not required! Also I have seen references on the net that one can use form I-601 for a vaccination waiver on basis of religious grounds, but checking the current I-601 form it has no mention of vaccinations at all!

So which one is it? recommended or required?

I am a bit confused regarding vaccinations. Many people say they are required, but the I-691 form on the USCIS website say thet are recommended but not required! Also I have seen references on the net that one can use form I-601 for a vaccination waiver on basis of religious grounds, but checking the current I-601 form it has no mention of vaccinations at all!

So which one is it? recommended or required?

Hi wadwooz

Here is some information regarding that, and explains where on the form to write it.

http://www.vaclib.org/legal/immigration.htm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Thank you for the quick response. Very interesting web page sprint_girl07, but I am still at loss. The instructions for the I-601 state that people with HIV, TB or mental illness are the ones to use the form. How would you indicate your request to waive the vaccination on this form?

Also, why does the I-693 state that vaccinations are recommended but not required?

All input is welcome
    Thanks all in advance

I do understand what you mean, I think it is the physician that has to write that letter or something.

It says here that the officer will cross the right box once they know what waiver you are asking for:

Q. There is no mention of Vaccination on this document, so how can it be used for the exemption from vaccination?
    A. The top of I-601 has a spot where a government officer can check the section under which the waiver is being applied for:
    [Vaccination exemption = sect: 212(a)(1)]
    Form I-601 can be found at:
    http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-601.pdf

What if I object to the vaccination requirements because of religious or moral reasons? The third waiver covers those applicants who believe that compliance with the vaccination requirements would be against their religious beliefs or moral convictions. Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability, with fee, is required. You must also meet the following three requirements:
    (1) You oppose vaccinations in any form;
    (2) The opposition is based on religious beliefs or moral convictions (whether or not as a member of a recognized religion); and
    (3) The religious belief or moral conviction is sincere.
    When the applicant is a child, the parent must meet all of these requirements. Where can I get the vaccination supplement? The civil surgeons and panel physicians have already received the vaccination supplement and instructions from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Your civil surgeon or panel physician should contact CDC directly if he or she did not receive this mailing from CDC or visit CDC's website at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/health.htm.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were you, I would call the clinic/doctors where you are going to have the Medical before you go. I a sure they will know what to do.

It isn't very clear it is, so calling a USCIS approved doctor will be the best thing.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Once you find out for sure, could you come back and let us know, it will be handy for anyone else looking for that answer

the USCIS has made a new I-693 form which went into effect May 1st. It is now clear that vaccinations are required.

They are definitely required and if you can't prove that you have had any via medical records (notes in baby books etc don't count), you will have to have them again at your expense.

Here's what we had to have for our medicals:

MMR, Tetanus, Varicella (chicken pox), Polio (just for the kids) and one son had to have Hep B.

For MMR and Varicella, you can opt for a blood test to prove immunity, but be careful. For us, the MMR jab was about 3 times less than the cost for the blood test, and the Varicella shot was twice as expensive as the blood test. Ask them for prices before you commit, and only take the blood test if you're positive you have had either the vaccination or the illness.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

True, Aroha. IN the case of the doctor I went to though, the blood test was included in the basic price, so I opted for it.