1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smarty Jones odds-on favorite to take Belmont, sweep Triple Crown

Smarty Jones odds-on favorite to take Belmont, sweep Triple Crown

By Jennie Rees The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

ELMONT, N.Y. " Smarty Jones was made the overwhelming 2-5 favorite to win Saturday's Belmont Stakes and become the first Triple Crown winner in 26 years. The Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner will face eight rivals in the 1-mile Belmont, and leave from the outside No. 9 post.

Unbeaten Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Smarty Jones drew Post 9 and will face eight other 3-year-olds in Saturday's Belmont Stakes in his bid to become racing's 12th Triple Crown winner.

As such, he was made the 2-5 favorite Wednesday in the morning line for the 11/2-mile Triple Crown finale at Belmont Park. If those odds hold, he will be the heaviest favorite in the race since Spectacular Bid was 3-10 in 1979.

Of course, owners Roy and Pat Chapman, trainer John Servis and jockey Stewart Elliott hope for a better outcome than Spectacular Bid, who finished third and became the first of nine horses to lose the Triple Crown in the Belmont since Affirmed last pulled off the sweep 26 years ago.

If Smarty Jones wins, he'll collect $5.6 million " his second $5 million bonus plus the $600,000 Belmont winner's purse " to bring his earnings to $13,013,155. He would be the first North American horse to reach eight figures.

Asked his place in history if Smarty Jones wins, Servis said, "I think you'd have to consider him a great horse. Obviously, he's going to have to go on and beat older horses and prove himself there. But even if he doesn't win the Triple Crown, for us he's a champion.

"I know these other guys are going into this race to win, and their horses are ready. I'm not letting my guard down at all. They're coming to get the money. ... I just hope we can give the people what they want."

New York Racing Association officials expect to top the record 103,222 fans who saw War Emblem's failed Triple Crown bid two years ago " the most ever to watch a sporting event in New York. They also expect more than $105 million to be bet on Saturday's stakes-filled card, smashing the existing record of $95 million.

Peter Pan Stakes winner Purge and Peter Pan third-place finisher Master David, who a week ago was considered unlikely for the race, both were entered with the intention of running, said their trainers. The Peter Pan is considered a tuneup for the Belmont.

"Smarty's a difficult horse to find anything wrong with," said Purge trainer Todd Pletcher. "And when he drew the nine post (an outside slot), that gives him a nice run into the first turn. But it's a horse race and anything can happen."

Agreed Servis: "I actually like the post. You can sit outside horses and don't have to worry about what's going on outside you."

New York native Nick Zito, who has finished second five times with 11 Belmont horses, will have two more chances Saturday with Sir Barton winner Royal Assault and Birdstone.

"Where do I sign up for second?" Zito said at Wednesday's post-position draw.

Asked if he'd settle for second, Zito responded: "To Smarty Jones? You kidding? Why not?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horse...ont-draw_x.htm

Smarty Jones odds-on favorite to take Belmont, sweep Triple Crown

By Jennie Rees The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

ELMONT, N.Y. " Smarty Jones was made the overwhelming 2-5 favorite to win Saturday's Belmont Stakes and become the first Triple Crown winner in 26 years. The Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner will face eight rivals in the 1-mile Belmont, and leave from the outside No. 9 post.

Unbeaten Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Smarty Jones drew Post 9 and will face eight other 3-year-olds in Saturday's Belmont Stakes in his bid to become racing's 12th Triple Crown winner.

As such, he was made the 2-5 favorite Wednesday in the morning line for the 11/2-mile Triple Crown finale at Belmont Park. If those odds hold, he will be the heaviest favorite in the race since Spectacular Bid was 3-10 in 1979.

Of course, owners Roy and Pat Chapman, trainer John Servis and jockey Stewart Elliott hope for a better outcome than Spectacular Bid, who finished third and became the first of nine horses to lose the Triple Crown in the Belmont since Affirmed last pulled off the sweep 26 years ago.

If Smarty Jones wins, he'll collect $5.6 million " his second $5 million bonus plus the $600,000 Belmont winner's purse " to bring his earnings to $13,013,155. He would be the first North American horse to reach eight figures.

Asked his place in history if Smarty Jones wins, Servis said, "I think you'd have to consider him a great horse. Obviously, he's going to have to go on and beat older horses and prove himself there. But even if he doesn't win the Triple Crown, for us he's a champion.

"I know these other guys are going into this race to win, and their horses are ready. I'm not letting my guard down at all. They're coming to get the money. ... I just hope we can give the people what they want."

New York Racing Association officials expect to top the record 103,222 fans who saw War Emblem's failed Triple Crown bid two years ago " the most ever to watch a sporting event in New York. They also expect more than $105 million to be bet on Saturday's stakes-filled card, smashing the existing record of $95 million.

Peter Pan Stakes winner Purge and Peter Pan third-place finisher Master David, who a week ago was considered unlikely for the race, both were entered with the intention of running, said their trainers. The Peter Pan is considered a tuneup for the Belmont.

"Smarty's a difficult horse to find anything wrong with," said Purge trainer Todd Pletcher. "And when he drew the nine post (an outside slot), that gives him a nice run into the first turn. But it's a horse race and anything can happen."

Agreed Servis: "I actually like the post. You can sit outside horses and don't have to worry about what's going on outside you."

New York native Nick Zito, who has finished second five times with 11 Belmont horses, will have two more chances Saturday with Sir Barton winner Royal Assault and Birdstone.

"Where do I sign up for second?" Zito said at Wednesday's post-position draw.

Asked if he'd settle for second, Zito responded: "To Smarty Jones? You kidding? Why not?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horse...ont-draw_x.htm
    Sweet Madame Belu

Michael
    Unless he races against an illegal immigrant being chased by BCIS !

Actually, there IS a horse called "My Legal Alien."

Smarty looks to be a shoe in for the Triple Crown, unless they sneak Julie Krone (The Queen of Belmont) in as jock on another horse.

Smarty's no Secretariat, but no other horse in the race comes close to his speed figure of 118 in the Preakness. The others will be left in the dust, more than 10 lengths behind.

The record time for the Belmont (and also the world record for 1 1/2 miles [by Secretariat]) is 2:24 minutes. Every second = 5 lengths.

If he wins, I predict he will do it, at BEST, 2:27, 15 lengths behind Secretariat, which would be pretty impressive, since Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lengths.

Also, Smarty is undefeated, as was Seattle Slew. Even Secretariat lost 2 races, his very first race and one because he had a toothache.
    Sweet Madame Belu

Michael
    Hey Jo; did anyone ever mistake you for a horse ?

Mick-Hole are you in search of look alike?

I started this thread as a diversion from immi matters.

Feel free to say what you will Michael, don't be "sheepish."
    Sweet Madame Belu

The world needs a hero.

Might as well be Smarty Jones.
    Sweet Madame Belu

Riders up!

A track record was set earlier today at Belmont. I feared this would happen. They think Smarty Jones will win by 25 lengths.

These are my picks:

1. Smarty Jones
    2/3. Purge/Rock Hard Ten (interchangable)
    4. Eddington
    Sweet Madame Belu

Wow!

Where did Birdstone come from? I threw him out.

I think Elliot blew the pace.

One guy bought 6000 $2 win tickets on Smarty Jones as souvenirs. ***mer. I bet he had planned to sell them on Ebay.
    Sweet Madame Belu