free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annulment/Divorce

I had filed for annulment based on marriage fraud and got a default judgement which was later over-turned after a motion to dismiss the default judgement. Now my case is going through the Case Management Conference stage and possibly discovery. Can anyone please shed some lights on what is expected at a case management conference. Thanks.

I had filed for annulment based on marriage fraud and got a default judgement which was later over-turned after a motion to dismiss the default judgement. Now my case is going through the Case Management Conference stage and possibly discovery. Can anyone please shed some lights on what is expected at a case management conference. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kmail22:
    I had filed for annulment based on marriage fraud and got a default judgement which was later over-turned after a motion to dismiss the default judgement. Now my case is going through the Case Management Conference stage and possibly discovery. Can anyone please shed some lights on what is expected at a case management conference. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Discovery! . Divorce And been Done With It Accepting The loss Easier And more Swift! I Feel For You!!! So Much $$$$$$$ Wasted!!!! And TIME! Stress! Etc! The System Needs Repair!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Since the girl was in OR with her aunt and uncle and we in California, we simply did a conference call during which she made her demands and we asked for our things back. whatever was settled and not settled was passed on to the judge. There really wasn't much in dispute because all property and financial stuff was under my parents names. After which point the judge ordered a speedy trial during which my brother and his x-wife only testified. We has affidavits, records, pictures everything to counter act everything she said. She was caught in a lot of lies. And don't forget she is under a conditional GC. She will need to prove some sort of abuse so watch out

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by didiwnofx:
    Since the girl was in OR with her aunt and uncle and we in California, we simply did a conference call during which she made her demands and we asked for our things back. whatever was settled and not settled was passed on to the judge. There really wasn't much in dispute because all property and financial stuff was under my parents names. After which point the judge ordered a speedy trial during which my brother and his x-wife only testified. We has affidavits, records, pictures everything to counter act everything she said. She was caught in a lot of lies. And don't forget she is under a conditional GC. She will need to prove some sort of abuse so watch out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Know The Deal! . I Can Only Hope Others Will Fair Better? To All victims, I Wish You The Very Best outcome with Minimal Psychological, $$$$$$$$, And Physical Loss!!! My Best To You All!!!! . Many Here Can Contribute Useful Info. Patience!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kmail22:
    I had filed for annulment based on marriage fraud and got a default judgement which was later over-turned after a motion to dismiss the default judgement. Now my case is going through the Case Management Conference stage and possibly discovery. Can anyone please shed some lights on what is expected at a case management conference. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think didiwnofx is confused with arbitration. Basically CMC is a preliminary hearing to determine whether a quick resolution to divorce can occur or whether division of property, child custody, and other issues may need to be resolved. It will only be the judge, you, and your estranged wife, along with any lawyer that might represent you or your estranged wife. It is a short meeting and not lasting no more than an hour.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Make sure you show them the law about VAWA and the marriage fraud law that has a $250K penalty. Tell them your intention to change the papers to include this statutory amount of damages. If the government is entitled to it so are you. Keep the pressure on her; do not back down.

Hi SOM,

Please where can I see the marriage fraud that has a $250K penalty so that I can reference it.

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia...9/crm01948.htm

1948 Marriage Fraud"8 U.S.C. 1325(c) and 18 U.S.C. 1546
    Marriage fraud has been prosecuted, inter alia, under 8 U.S.C. 1325 and 18 U.S.C. 1546(a). The Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments Act of 1986 amended 1325 by adding 1325(c), which provides a penalty of five years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine for any "individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws." Under 8 U.S.C. 1151(b), "immediate relatives" of U.S. citizens, including spouses, who are otherwise qualified for admission as immigrants, must be admitted as such, without regard to other, ordinary numerical limitations. The typical fact pattern in marriage fraud cases is that a U.S. citizen and an alien get married. They fulfill all state law requirements such as medical tests, licensing, and a ceremony. But the U.S. citizen is paid to marry the alien in order to entitle the alien to obtain status as a permanent resident of the United States; the parties do not intend to live together as man and wife. A legal issue arises where the parties tell the INS they are married, and they subjectively believe they are telling the truth because they have complied with state marriage requirements. The Supreme Court has ruled that the validity of their marriage under state law is immaterial to the issue of whether they defrauded INS. See Lutwak v. United States, 344 U.S. 604 (1953). Lutwak was followed in United States v. Yum, 776 F.2d 490 (4th Cir. 1985); Johl v. United States, 370 F.2d 174 (9th Cir.1966), and Chin Bick Wah v. United States, 245 F.2d 274 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 355 U.S. 870 (1957). But see, United States v. Lozano, 511 F.2d 1 (7th Cir.), cert. denied, 423 U.S. 850 (1975); United States v. Diogo, 320 F.2d 898 (2d Cir. 1963). But cf, United States v. Sarantos, 455 F.2d 877 (2d Cir. 1972).

There have been situations where a bona fide marriage turns sour but the alien induces the U.S. citizen spouse to maintain the marriage as a ruse only as long as necessary for the alien to obtain status as a permanent resident alien. There is a line of cases holding that the viability of the marriage, if initially valid, is not a proper concern of the INS. United States v. Qaisi, 779 F.2d 346 (6th Cir. 1985); Dabaghian v. Civilleti, 607 F.2d 868 (9th Cir. 1979), and cases cited therein. However, the Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986, 8 U.S.C. 1186a, were designed, inter alia, to eliminate the Qaisi type loophole by establishing a two-year conditional status for alien spouses seeking permanent resident status, and requiring that an actual family unit still remain in existence at the end of the two year period.

This is the statutory penalty for the government. Ask the court to "borrow from the statute" to determine appropriate damages. Use those exact words "borrow from the statute" and reference this cite.

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia...9/crm01948.htm

This has never been done in the immigration contect but I believe it has in others. I am researching.