50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Annulment or Divorce?

I went to college in FL once I graduated I got a job using a work authorization card. When the card expired I was given a work visa by the company for 3 yerars. When it was getting close to renewing my work visa the company I worked for would not consider renewing it because of 9/11 and because of the way the economy was affecting the company. They started laying off people. Before I was layed off or fired I got another job in Georgia. The company in Geogia decided to file my paperwork but they were having difficulties supplying all the required documents requested by immigration. Eventually I married the guy I was dating in Georgia. My lawyer went ahead and file a new petition based on the fact that I was married to an American citizen. The process went on fine. But eventually my husband and I separated because he was cheating on me and his girlfriend had given birth to a baby girl for him. 2 years later we were called for an interview and we were asked a bunch of questions due to the fact that we had not been leaving together the answers were sometimes answered differently. I was denied my green card. I filed for divorce and relocated to Florida to start a new job.
    When I was in Florida was when I had the elaborate wedding with the guy I thought was the love of my life. He is opening credit cards in my name, coming up with one excuse after another why he's not getting a job. I am beginning to find out things about him that I didn't know neither did he tell me. I started seriously doubting him when we have a serious argument and he would say maybe we needed to annul our marriage. Well now I went digging and found out that he was still married at the time we got married. He does not know that I know this. My immigration process based on the new marriage just started about 4 months ago. Is it possible to get out and marry a different person again in good faith and re-file my papers properly this time? My current spouse lies and cheats and I am afraid of sleeping with him because I don't want to get infected with any kind of disease. In addition to this I'm finding out that he's got a criminal record on fraud all of which he did not tell me before the marriage. As I said all these things I found he doesn't know about. I have not told my lawyer any of these information since I don't know how all these will affect me. Also I don't know If I should file for annulment or a divorce. I am really afraid. Plus, I've been in the country for close to 10 years. Please someone help me. Give me suggestions and answers. Thanks

I went to college in FL once I graduated I got a job using a work authorization card. When the card expired I was given a work visa by the company for 3 yerars. When it was getting close to renewing my work visa the company I worked for would not consider renewing it because of 9/11 and because of the way the economy was affecting the company. They started laying off people. Before I was layed off or fired I got another job in Georgia. The company in Geogia decided to file my paperwork but they were having difficulties supplying all the required documents requested by immigration. Eventually I married the guy I was dating in Georgia. My lawyer went ahead and file a new petition based on the fact that I was married to an American citizen. The process went on fine. But eventually my husband and I separated because he was cheating on me and his girlfriend had given birth to a baby girl for him. 2 years later we were called for an interview and we were asked a bunch of questions due to the fact that we had not been leaving together the answers were sometimes answered differently. I was denied my green card. I filed for divorce and relocated to Florida to start a new job.
    When I was in Florida was when I had the elaborate wedding with the guy I thought was the love of my life. He is opening credit cards in my name, coming up with one excuse after another why he's not getting a job. I am beginning to find out things about him that I didn't know neither did he tell me. I started seriously doubting him when we have a serious argument and he would say maybe we needed to annul our marriage. Well now I went digging and found out that he was still married at the time we got married. He does not know that I know this. My immigration process based on the new marriage just started about 4 months ago. Is it possible to get out and marry a different person again in good faith and re-file my papers properly this time? My current spouse lies and cheats and I am afraid of sleeping with him because I don't want to get infected with any kind of disease. In addition to this I'm finding out that he's got a criminal record on fraud all of which he did not tell me before the marriage. As I said all these things I found he doesn't know about. I have not told my lawyer any of these information since I don't know how all these will affect me. Also I don't know If I should file for annulment or a divorce. I am really afraid. Plus, I've been in the country for close to 10 years. Please someone help me. Give me suggestions and answers. Thanks

I was gonna say stay married but I'm in a similar situation (except the cheating) and legally you are not married, your husband could go to jail for bigamy, if you want out, you can get an annulment and it will be easy to show that he was still married to his ex at the time of your wedding.
    I don't know if the INS looks into that but if they do look into his background, they will find out he was still married which makes your union not legal, you would need to get remarried.
    You can also get it annuled by the fact that he lied to you about his caracter.
    Good luck

There is no marriage, so you can't have it annuled or file for divorce. If this man was married to someone else when he married you, your marriage would not even be recognized.

You said your GC was denied based on petition filed with your first husband. When it was denied, did the officer tell you to voluntarily depart? Have you received any correspondence from USCIS?

I'm assuming you are no longer a student and that would mean you don't have a student visa.

What type of visa did you enter the country with and how long ago? What is your status now?

Many members of this board are very helpful and I'm sure you will get some answers to your question. I'm just a bigdummy but your situation doesn't sound good to me.

so are you just marrying any citizen you find? Dont you think these men should be scared that you will infect instead of the other way around?

You need to get your priorities right instead of running around and just marrrying anyone with a loose zip.

Why would you have a lawyer and not provide him/her with all the pertinent details? Aren't you paying him to sort out your case? He can't do that with only part of the story.

Not to sound harsh, but how can you criticize your ex for not disclosing information you think he should have, if now you are doing the same with your attorney?
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Thanks for the input so far. I am just so afraid of everything. Regardless I plan on telling my lawyer everything this week. I just wanted to be a happily married woman and I was getting ready to start a family. Currently this guy has quit his job and refuses to work or pay any bills. Please someone advise me on what to do. Again please no insults. It just seems that I have not been fortunate with the men in my life.