free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a Re-Entry Permit, No Passport

I'm a permanent resident that cannot obtain a passport. I have both my card and a re-enty permit (i-327). In a month I will be going with the Model United Nations group at my school over seas to a conference at Berlin. Will I be ok with just those two documents? (Plus, a range-load of other id)

I'm a permanent resident that cannot obtain a passport. I have both my card and a re-enty permit (i-327). In a month I will be going with the Model United Nations group at my school over seas to a conference at Berlin. Will I be ok with just those two documents? (Plus, a range-load of other id)

I am afraid I disagree with you Marmaduk. You can travel with Re-entry permit and green card. A.J will need to get a visa for Germany. Re-Entry permist acts as a travel document and keeps your status if you are away for more than 6 months, it looks like a passport. I can't even find i-327 on USCIS website. You need to file for i-131.

My bad, I thought the question is whether AP & residence card can be used in place of passport to enter Germany.
    http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch...isa/visit.html
    Valid 3 month passport seemed to be the norm, but apparently, they do make exception for US permit to reenter.

Also, I-327 is an expired form, like Cooper said get the I-131 first.

Re-Entry Permits, looks like a passport but it is not a passport of your country.
    You will need a pasport for your trip to Berlin,
    Do you needs a visa as foreign National to travel to Germany? Then you will need a visa also.
    Re-Enrty permit allow you to travel in and out of the US only during the validity of that permit.
    Check with German Embassy at Washington,D.C.

Dastur,
    Please research on Re-Entry permit before giving advise. I know a lot of Asylees who are now green card holders. They cannot renew their national passport so instead they use Travel Document or Re-Entry Permit to travel until they become USC. Travel Doc is only valid for 1 year and Re-Entry permit for 2 years. File i-131 to obtain either documents.

Copper will you please let me know your findings.
    I would like to know where it says that it can be used in lieu of a passport, in any US Immigration Act.
    Thank you.

marmaduk, Copper and Dastur:

marmaduk, you are correct that AJ will need a passport from his country of origin. Most of the Countries do not accept Permit to Re-Enter United States, and according to the INA and the permit it self says that it is not a passport. This document only allows you to Reenter United States as an Alien Lawfully admitted for the permanent residence, and you do not need to have a visa, AJ can also travel on his I-551 but that will allow him only 6 months, and this permit will allow him for one to two years time at the same time he will lose his time and residency. restart again.
    In rare cases US permit to reenter United States can be accepted, provided if it is evident that he/she can not get his national passport from his country of origin.
    Dastur: You are right that it is only for use to Re-Eenter United States. it is not a passport, after vietnam war vietnames were issued this document to travel abroad to work for US Companies in Middle-East. Both Re-Entery Permit and refugee travel documents.
    He will have to check with the German Embassy and he should have some evidence from his embassy that he can not be issued with the passport.
    Copper can not proof that he had seen any INA in regards to this question. Or I can show him where to find that section of the Law.

To clarify:

1. OP already has re-entry permit.

2. Form I- 327 IS a re-entry permit (like I-551 is green card)

3. The permit itself says: This is not a United States passport

4. Besides pages that are marked: "This page is for use by immigration officer", there are also pages marked "Visas".