free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Given up Green Card

Does any one know if there is any way of getting back a given up Green Card?
    what must one do to get it back? My green Card expired in the year 2001 I've spent 10 years in the US ( I should have become a USC ). I moved back to europe and i've been living here for over 4 years. I'd made a huge mistake giving up my GC and now i'd like to get it back. Of course I have legal SS number and a visa for 10 years, but I'd like to move back the the US for good. The question is what do I do now. My whole family became USC 5 years ago.
    THX for help

Does any one know if there is any way of getting back a given up Green Card?
    what must one do to get it back? My green Card expired in the year 2001 I've spent 10 years in the US ( I should have become a USC ). I moved back to europe and i've been living here for over 4 years. I'd made a huge mistake giving up my GC and now i'd like to get it back. Of course I have legal SS number and a visa for 10 years, but I'd like to move back the the US for good. The question is what do I do now. My whole family became USC 5 years ago.
    THX for help

You'll probably have to go through the whole application process as a new applicant, assuming your family can still sponsor you.

To this very day, it blows my mind that there are green card holders out there who don't apply for citizenship when and If they become eligible.I'm sorry mate but you are a complete donkey for giving up your green card and the lesson of your story can be summarized like this: "never say never" because you just don't know what lies around the corner.

Paddy,

What baffles me is that you speak of a green card as if it were the Ultimate Good itself, which, perhaps, is a common attitude to that document encountered among refuges from some God-forsaken land somewhere in Africa or Asia, but it is strange for me to hear it coming from a European. I don't know much about the life in the UK, but I was always under the impression that England is a well-to-do country with a high standard of living. I can very well imagine that a person might not want to trade his homeland for the shopping mall-speckled landscape of the US, as I am one of such people.
    You seem to take somebody else's choice to leave America as a personal affront, given the strong emotionally colored language of your posts.
    I wonder why that is? Was life in your native UK that unbearable for you?

I also am a European immigrant to America, and I wholeheartedly agree with Paddy. The United States is the best country in the world, and I'm amazed that anyone would voluntarily give up their Green Card. As soon as I'm eligible, I will apply for my citizenship and be a proud American.

Going back to the original question. Your former status of Permanent Resident is irrelevant at this time. You'll have to apply for immigration visa like anybody else who never been in the US. Three avenues are available: family based, employment based, and DV lottery (if the country of your chargeability is not excluded).

For more info read http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/imm...ypes_1326.html

Mr Struzhkin, you are yet another ignorant donkey who obviously can't tell his a s s from his elbow. If you bothered to read what I said, I wasn't trying to sell the merits of having a green card.....I was merely pointing out the fact that there are rules and regulations to immigration in this country and if one day you feel compelled to leave the US to return home then you have to face the possible consequences of losing your green card.........It just seems a complete waste to go through the pain and suffering of immigration just to give it up because you THINK that you will never return. As has been proven in this guy's story, he left and realised that he made a mistake and now has to face the consequences...........why it never occurred to him to get his citizenship after he became eligible is beyond me especially after his family became USC........he's a d i c k h e a d if you ask me.

As for me, I am a very proud british and Irish Bloke who is not ashamed of my roots but I am now a fully fledged member of the greatest country in the world and if you don't appreciate this country as much as every other US citizen, then f u c k off back to your hole you call home and let someone else have the opportunity to realize their american dream.

Paddy,

I sense a lot of hostility in you. I mean, calling people "donkeys" and "****heads" left and right... That is a lot of anger directed against people who did not wrong you in any imaginable way. Why? What's all that about? Sexualy frustrated, eh? New american husband not doing his job? ) Well, my advice to you would be to get a vibrator and release some of that accumulated frustration.
    And watch that filthy mouth of yours - internet community is not your home trailor park, so behave, will you?

Byasha Struzhkin,
    How do you know Africa is a God-Forsaken Land?