50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: annulment

one of my friend's husband was very abusive this happened after a couple of months of marriage. My friend is from China she came to US met her ex husband and decided to get married. After a year and half she was forced to leave him. Now instead of getting a divorce he has applied for annulment. How can you help or advice her to get through this. What is your advice please.

one of my friend's husband was very abusive this happened after a couple of months of marriage. My friend is from China she came to US met her ex husband and decided to get married. After a year and half she was forced to leave him. Now instead of getting a divorce he has applied for annulment. How can you help or advice her to get through this. What is your advice please.

Hi liana,

She is best to speak to a divorce attorney.
    Annulments are not easy to get, so he will have to have enough evidence to get one.

He might be trying to say it was a fraudulent marriage, so she needs to gather evidence it wasn't just in case.

I think she will need an immigration attorney too regarding her Status here now. She will need to be advised on what to do next.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Hi
    Thanks for your reply he has asked for annulment on physical incapacity how does he do that?

Oh that one! Well it might be true, only you know that, but sometimes some will try and come up with some excuse for annulment.

Basically what he is saying is that (I think he is saying you) ..you couldn't or wouldn't engage in intimacy during the marriage if you know what I mean.

If this is true, then he is basing it on the fact you never disclosed to him that you wouldn't or couldn't before you got married, so he is asking for annulment on those grounds.

There is one thing to add....once he became knowledgeable of the incapacity, he only has up to one year from when he found this out, to seek an annulment.
    I think you need to check with your States rules on annulments though as not every State have the same.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

liana, she really does need a divorce lawyer, and an immigration lawyer.

If she cannot afford them, tell her to call one of the Catholic charities in her area, they can put her in touch with some attorneys that may help her at less cost.