Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: To AK278

Posted May 19, 2006 12:14 PM
    AK278
    You say you have been here for 22 years and have paid taxes. Are you an LPR? This will make a difference. What country are you from? This will make a difference. Depending on your previous (current) status, you may not have needed AP.
    To enter by car through the Canadian border, you need a valid drivers license (either US or Canadian) and maybe a birth certificate. I have only ever shown my drivers license. You need more info to cross from Mexico - not a good idea. You do not need a passport. They are talking passports in 2009. If you enter the US by air from any country, you need a passport. There is an assumption that immigration is able to track everyone through a computer system. This is not true. Mostly, one hand does not know what the other hand is doing. When you file forms through one office, the other office does not know. Take filing through USCIS and through the NVC - they have no idea if you filed with either department.
    I take it that your 1-130 has been accepted. Did you get notice of this? So just your 485 is pending. Did you know you can file your I-485 from outside of the country? You can adjust status from both inside and outside of the country. They interview outside of the country as well. Whenever you send somthing to immigration make sure you send it with confirmation of delivery (either by Fed EX, USPS, or confirmation of delivery through US post). You can then track the delivery and they canot say it was not received. Send them another letter requesting your case be opened - and spend the little bit of money to track delivery. Check with your consulate. Also review the USCIS and Dept of State websites. All is not lost - don't panic.

Posted May 19, 2006 12:14 PM
    AK278
    You say you have been here for 22 years and have paid taxes. Are you an LPR? This will make a difference. What country are you from? This will make a difference. Depending on your previous (current) status, you may not have needed AP.
    To enter by car through the Canadian border, you need a valid drivers license (either US or Canadian) and maybe a birth certificate. I have only ever shown my drivers license. You need more info to cross from Mexico - not a good idea. You do not need a passport. They are talking passports in 2009. If you enter the US by air from any country, you need a passport. There is an assumption that immigration is able to track everyone through a computer system. This is not true. Mostly, one hand does not know what the other hand is doing. When you file forms through one office, the other office does not know. Take filing through USCIS and through the NVC - they have no idea if you filed with either department.
    I take it that your 1-130 has been accepted. Did you get notice of this? So just your 485 is pending. Did you know you can file your I-485 from outside of the country? You can adjust status from both inside and outside of the country. They interview outside of the country as well. Whenever you send somthing to immigration make sure you send it with confirmation of delivery (either by Fed EX, USPS, or confirmation of delivery through US post). You can then track the delivery and they canot say it was not received. Send them another letter requesting your case be opened - and spend the little bit of money to track delivery. Check with your consulate. Also review the USCIS and Dept of State websites. All is not lost - don't panic.

AK278 says in his first post:
    "Here is my scenario, my wife and I have been married for almost 3 yrs now with 485 and 130 pending."

That does not sound like he is LPR.

One cannot adjust status outside the US. One can have an interview at the embassy and get visa to enter the US. After entering, if visa is K3, that person has to apply for adjustment of status. If visa is CR-1/IR-1, he/she becomes permanent resident when enters the US (no need for adjustment).

AK278: dragonlady noticed that you mentioned that you had been living in the US for 22 years. Were you in legal status all the time after your 18th birthday?

Some embassies/consulates adjust status and issue GC outside the US.

I was addressing AK278 specifically - but thank you for answering my statement to that person.

OK, I apologize - it wasn't my place to say anything about AK278's status.

Dragonlady, I would like to learn under which circumstences and in what countries embassies or consulates adjust status and issue GC. Thank you.

Aneri,

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. Keep posting.