free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: work permit??

My wife is a holder of an H1b visa, she is being sponsored to get a green card through employment, I'm included in the petition as the beneficiary's husband, right now I have an h4 visa (dependent visa),
    the h4 visa does not allow you to work legally in United States.
    Is there any way to get a work permit while the green card petition is on process? or Do I have to wait three or four years to work until the green card process is done?
    thanks for your help!!!

My wife is a holder of an H1b visa, she is being sponsored to get a green card through employment, I'm included in the petition as the beneficiary's husband, right now I have an h4 visa (dependent visa),
    the h4 visa does not allow you to work legally in United States.
    Is there any way to get a work permit while the green card petition is on process? or Do I have to wait three or four years to work until the green card process is done?
    thanks for your help!!!

come on someone of you has to know!!!
    thanx

There is NO way for dependents in H-4 status to obtain work authorization outside of the green card application (I-485). However, spouses of L and E visa holders can obtain employment authorization.

Sorry!

If you have an I-485 filed, you can also file for an employment authorization document (EAD Card- form I-765). These applications can be submitted concurrently or you can file the I-765 after (once you have the receipt notice for your I-485). It is a pretty easy form to complete and it give work authorization in one year increments.

The poster is not the one whole filed the AOS but his spouse. Therefore he cannot obtain EAD as he hasn't filed app for EAD in the first place.

http://www.immigrate2us.net
    I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one so please double-check any information given by me, or anyone else for that matter, with a certified (immigration)lawyer before you take any further steps.

Again, to summarize and to avoid confusion for the poster, if you are here on H-4 and your wife has not yet filed the I-485, you can NOT receive employment authorization. People who have H-4 status are not allowed to work.

xandtrick
    The pettion has not been filed yet, its on hold, because we want to be sure to do it the right way!!!
    I do not know what EAD means???
    thanks

NYCImmParalegal:
    My wife has not filed the I-485 yet, my question is, once my wife file the I-485 is there any way for me to file the I-765 to get the work permit???
    thanks