50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I-864 joint sponsor question

I have a friend who asked me to become his joint sponsor to bring his relative to the US. He is student and doesn't have a job, my question is:

- first, how likely some one can get mean-tested public benefit? as far as I know new immigrants can not get any kind of mean-tested benefit for 5 years so technically nothing to worry about, am I right?

- second, since I am just joint sponsor, if he find a job am I off the hook? if his relative ask for benefit, government coming after him first?

- Last, any one know of any case that any government agency actually sued or came after some one to recover benefits?

thanks

I have a friend who asked me to become his joint sponsor to bring his relative to the US. He is student and doesn't have a job, my question is:

- first, how likely some one can get mean-tested public benefit? as far as I know new immigrants can not get any kind of mean-tested benefit for 5 years so technically nothing to worry about, am I right?

- second, since I am just joint sponsor, if he find a job am I off the hook? if his relative ask for benefit, government coming after him first?

- Last, any one know of any case that any government agency actually sued or came after some one to recover benefits?

thanks

ARE YOU READY TO SIGN IT

http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

thanks Sammy: if there is little chance of getting government benefits - what would be my max liability against his mom (not government)? up to 125% of poverty line of ONE person which would his mom only or two people which would be petitioner and his mom?
    have you heard of "joint sponsor" being sued?
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SAMMY:
    You won't be off the hook even if your friend finds a job in the future. Your responsibility would end only if your friend leaves the US for good, dies, gets naturalized, or earns 40 quarters of earned credit which will take him at least 10 yrs because only 4 credit at most could be earned in a year which is still subject to him working regularly.

Actually the requirement of furnishing this Form I-864 is kinda outdated. It serves no purpose at all. This requirement was placed in immigration law a very long time ago when other laws allow immigrants to obtain all kind of public benefits. But those walfare laws have been changed since then. Immigrants are literally not eligible for any public benefit anymore so to have the need of this requirement to protect US govt. from providing public benefit to immigrants. And there is not even one single reported case wherein govt. has sought out the reimbursement from sponsors (on this form) for the public benefits provided to immigrants.

I honestly don't see any harm in you sponsoring your friend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmodesto:

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>