50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Foreign Law Student

How difficult is it for a foreign law student, who is getting a JD in the US, to obtain a summer clerkship/law clerk/or other legal employment before graduation using the CPT, and after graduation using OPT. How do I go about doing that? Are there any former foreign law student who are in my situation, and if so how did you get by? Thanks

How difficult is it for a foreign law student, who is getting a JD in the US, to obtain a summer clerkship/law clerk/or other legal employment before graduation using the CPT, and after graduation using OPT. How do I go about doing that? Are there any former foreign law student who are in my situation, and if so how did you get by? Thanks

It's difficult for American students who don't need work authorization to get the kinds of jobs you're talking about. Unless you're truly something special, I would expect it to be extremely difficult to get a company to hire you. Lawyers are NOT in short supply in the US. If you did get something, I'd guess that it would be because they wanted you to work in your homeland after graduation a la some MBA students I've known. All this is pure guessing, however.

Michael
    You can marry a citizen and get work authorization within a month of two; are you hot? Do you go to Hofstra Law School???

Really, Michael... You forgot to ask "it" if it's a he or she. Or doesn't it matter?

You may want to try some of the NGOs, though, or the UN. Or, a nonprofit, such as a church's legal clinic.

I was afraid of that. And yes, I am a female. Immigration laws are highly frustrating, and this is an area I actually want to go into. Does anybody know anybody I could talk to?

I did read somewhere that as student one can work or intern in their field before graduation. Check with you school faculty or job board. Jobs or internships may not be out yet though.

Go to USCIS or Dept of State website for the real info.

What I said about internships and such being difficult to get has little to do with immigration and everything to do with the competition for said jobs. Typically, these are intended to let the company/organization get a look at potential new hires, and are important to the student in terms of a future career. Our organization has a couple of dozen lawyers on staff, and we have interns from top schools every term. Competition for these jobs is extremely tough.