50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: outside USA for how long?

My friend is a green card holder and she wanted to go back to her birth country, how long is she allowed to stay outside USA without abandoning her US residency? And is there any way/circumstance where she can extend her stay in her birth country without going back to USA personally?

Please help..

Your answers are very much appreciated!!

My friend is a green card holder and she wanted to go back to her birth country, how long is she allowed to stay outside USA without abandoning her US residency? And is there any way/circumstance where she can extend her stay in her birth country without going back to USA personally?

Please help..

Your answers are very much appreciated!!

she is allow 6months after that she has to return then she can leave again.she should try becoming a usc then she is free of all restrictions.

Abandonment is complex issue and it does not depend only on the time spent outside the US. It is about the reason (should be temporary in nature), ties to US and many more things.

Legaly, permanent resident can return to the US after a trip of less than 1 year, using only green card. If the trip could be more than a year, she should apply for rentry-permit before leaving (allows to return within 2 years of issuance).

Many PRs had been living outside the US and returning only once a year to keep "residency" alive. That doesn't work any more.

How did you received your LPR status?

she was petitioned by her mother - a permanent resident for about 9 years who work as a nurse.

please be careful she cannot be outside for 6 month let us say she should come back after 5 month
    it is better for all of you better than going through other troubles and items of law
    good luck

As has been mentioned before, she needs to stop thinking of returning to her birth country until she can get her US citizenship no matter how long it takes, then she can leave and never return to the US but always have the option to if she ever wanted to