ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Friend In Northern China

  1. #1
    I have a friend in Yining, China who would like to come to the US. How do I help her to become a permanent resident? She is in her last year of college, 22 years old.

  2. #2
    I have a friend in Yining, China who would like to come to the US. How do I help her to become a permanent resident? She is in her last year of college, 22 years old.

  3. #3
    Unless she has very close relatives in US (parents), or she finds a US citizen that she would like to marry (for the right reasons of course) it will be hard for her to become a permanent resident right away. If she has a bachelors degree, you could help her find a job here, an employer that would be willing to sponsor her for an H1 visa, she could then file for permanent residency. There are a great variety of different types of visas, consult with an immigration lawyer to find out which ones she may qualify for.

  4. #4
    You should elaborate on the meaning of friend in your statement.If she is your fiancee,it might be easier than H1B considering she has no experience and have not finished her college.
    If it is for fiancee,then we'll ask Marie, the best expert on this matter in this forum.

  5. #5
    She is just a friend no more. My parents sponsored my brother in law who moved here from Canada. Is it possible to sponsor my friend in some way if she were to live with me and my wife?

  6. #6
    As far as family based petitions are concerned, only immediate (spouse/children/parents/siblings) relatives can sponsor. Your parents could not have sponsored your brother-in-law for a permanent residensy, perhaps they sponsored financially by signing an affidavid of support.

    If she does not have any immediate relatives in USA, her best option for coming to USA would be to get an H-1 B visa, come here as a student (F-1 visa) and go to school, come over as an au pair etc etc. There are a variety of options depending on her background and situation I would recommedn that you make an appointment with an immigration attorney to discuss what different options may apply to her situation. But from the information you shared, sponsoring directly for a green card does not appear to be an option.

  7. #7
    I guess it always takes the all mighty dollar for the lawyer to get anywhere or get anything done. I will ask my parents or brother in law what it was they did.

  8. #8
    I am not an attorney myself, but yes, they command big bucks for their services. If she really wants to come here, as I said, there are many options, and some of them can be converted into permanent residency eventually, you just need to decide which one is the best one for her. Coming here as a student is a good option though, she's get an education, she has the option to work both on and off campus, and she would get a one year work card upon completion of her degree, which would make it easier to get a permanent job --> H1/green card.

    If she wants to come as a student, that is something you can help sponsor (financially). But to sponsor for a green card isn't an option. Even if she were your sister, the waiting time in that category is approximately 10 years...

    Sorry that I don't have the anwser you are looking for right now, but hopefully you can find a way to bring her here. Good luck

  9. #9
    Ok, Thank you, If we use the scenario of her coming as a student, with the intent of becoming a permanent resident,what is the process?

  10. #10
    Well, if she is to come here as a student, she must show an intent to return to China upon the completion of her graduation. An F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, and she must show evidence to the US embassy in China that she does not intend to remain in the US permanently. What kind of evidence she needs to provide is different from case to case, it could be that her whole family is in China, that she has a bank account, a letter from a prospective employer that she will have a job offer when she returns etc etc..whatever may apply to her case. The key word here is intent. If the visa officer for one second thinks that she intends to remain in the US, then the visa will be denied for sure. Let me wanr you, it is very difficult for people from that region (China, India..) to get visas right now. Don't even think about getting her a green card right now.. Worry about that once you find a legal way to bring her here, and once she's actually here. But even then, a green card will not be an option until she's here, she's graduated, and she's found a job/company that's willing to sponsor for the green card...unless she falls in love with, and marries a US citizen, then it's much quicker.

    She will need to show that she has enough money to attend a university here, and by calling the universities in your area that she might consider going to, you can find out how much $$ she will need to prove to teh consulate. If she doesn't have enough money herself, you could fill out an affidavid of support for her. Honestly though, I don't know if it will be to her benefit to show the visa officer that she has such strong connections to the US that she has someone that's willing to sponsor her. The visa officer could see that as a sign that she may not intend to go back to China. If she has the money herself, or if her family in China can show they have enough money to support her, I think that would be more convincing, but if that's not an option, having a US sponsor is better than no sponsor I suppose.

    Be prepared for the fact that she may be denied a visa. Unfortunately for her, as I mentioned, it's not easy to get a visa from China. And even though it's expensive, you may still want to gather all the facts you can think of, and have a talk with a lawyer. It could prove to be money. Call around, some lawyers offer the first meeting for free, and they may be able to find other options, or give you an idea of what you're getting into. You seem to be determined to find a way to bring her here, so going to an attorney could be a good investment, perhaps there's another visa type she could qualify for that's more suitable for her than a student visa. If you think a student visa is the best option, find a university that will offer a good program, and that she will be able to afford, and go talk to the foreign student advisor there to get some advice.

    I wish you the best of luck. If you go for it, be prepared for a lot of waiting, and a lot of frustration, but hopefully it will have a positive outcome in the end.

Similar Threads

    By NO AMNESTY!!! in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
  2. Afraid of China?
    By macyuhoo in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
  3. procedures in petitioning spouse from northern mariana island
    By jasrin in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 06:52 PM
  4. CHINA
    By Ben in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 01:19 AM
  5. Need a good Imm. Attorney in Northern Cal.
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: