free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about N 400

I have a question on the N-400 application. I'm intending to apply for naturalization. My family is comprised of me, my wife and my sixteen years old son. Do I complete one application for the entire family or do I have to complete separate application forms. Also do I pay one fee ($ 675) for the entire family or per person? I'm confused and would appreciate your answers

I have a question on the N-400 application. I'm intending to apply for naturalization. My family is comprised of me, my wife and my sixteen years old son. Do I complete one application for the entire family or do I have to complete separate application forms. Also do I pay one fee ($ 675) for the entire family or per person? I'm confused and would appreciate your answers

Geez guys! Some modesty please!!
    I realize I'm asking simple questions, but could somoene respond?

HI decent,

From what I understand both you and your wife needs to fill your own form in.
    You also need to send separate checks. You can I believe send one check or money order for both the application fee and for the biometric fee together eg: $675 I think it is now?, but remember to send separate ones for each of you.

Regarding your son, he needs to be listed on the form where it asks about children.

If he hasn't reached 18 by the time you both Naturalize than he will automatically have citizenship through you.
    You can then obtain a certificate of Naturalization for him (N600), I don't know if there is a fee for that or not, Im sorry.

Here is a link to the instructions of the N400:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400ins.pdf
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Thank you sprint_girl you are a class act! So you are telling me, my son should be mentioned on both applications, mine and my wife's too?

Also, can I attach my personal check with my wife's application or is that unacceptable? Does it have to be her personal check?. Please advise.

Hi Bouree,

If you are asking if you can write a check for your wife's application and it is from your personal account than yes you can.

Just make sure that you write her details on the check somewhere eg: what it is for (N-400 and/or Biometrics fee) for who (your wife's full name) and maybe her Alien number or something that USICS can relate the check to, just in case the check gets detached from application. Check the instructions to see what else they require for you to include on the check.

Yes I believe that both of you have to list all children that you have, including children of all ages, whether here in the US or elsewhere. Whether from a previous marriage and so on.
    If either of you have children from previous marriages etc, then your lists will be different.

They need to know all names of children regardless whether they are entitled to Citizenship or not.

Once either of you (unless changed) become Naturalized then take your Certificate along with your child's birth certificate and apply for a US passport for him/her, as long as your child is still under 18 and a LPR.

If you want a certificate for him her, you will have to file for the N600 and I now found out it costs $400+.

Im not an immigration professional or anything so this is just what I know and have read.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks sprint_girl07 yet again. God bless you.
    Could you please take a stab at the other questions I posted. I was arrested overnight for false domestic violance, something my wife greatly regretted doing. Case was dismissed and sealed.

There is a question in the N400 that askes if I've ever been to a jail. Is a Detention Center and a jail/prison one and the same thing.

I was arrested overnight. Is that classified as citation and arrest?

How could I tell why my case was dismissed. The disposition doesn't mention why it was dismissed. My wife didn't press any charges.

You're welcome bouree.

Regarding your other question, I am sorry I really do not know enough about the criminal history section and don't know how you can obtain proof of your case, even if it is now sealed.

Have you spoken to the courthouse to find out what they can give you or what you need to file to obtain those records?

You will definitely need to show USCIS some documents at least to prove how, why, when and what the outcome was as they want to know anything, even a traffic citation.

You were arrested so that answer would be yes, but I do not know how you would answer regarding the detention part.
    From what I understood it can be classed as a jail or a prison going by certain ones around the country.
    Maybe the best thing is while you are at courthouse to ask about the paperwork, ask them what the detention center where you were hold is classed as. Failing that try google and put the name down and see what it says about the detention center, it may say jail or prison.

Sorry I couldn't help further, just remember to be honest on the form, and give as much information as possible. Obtaining documents for USCIS is also extremely important.

This is just my opinion but maybe someone else may come up with an idea or a clearer answer.

All the best

Thanks again! You mentioned even a traffic citation needs to be disclosed. What do I need to submit?

My other question is regarding whether I need to submit originals or copies of arrest case disposition. Some say only copies need to be submitted not originals. As for traffic citations, The N400 guide says if it's not DUI related or if it was traffic related but less than $500 then don't submit anything. My traffic citation was crosiing red light and the fine was $75 only.

Hi Bouree,

I am only going by what I know and what I have read about the N-400 so if unsure best to call USCIS to verify.

My intake on this is, you need certified copies of the depositions from the court. (records for arrest, citations, dismissed etc).

For the traffic citations you need to declare every single one on the N-400 form regardless of the amount of fine.
    However if the fine is under $500 then USCIS do not require you to send or bring with you to the interview the proof of that citation payment.
    Fines above that, then yes you do. They want to see proof that you paid them.

So there is a difference to disclosing and showing proof. You have to disclose everything on the form.
    Personally I would take proof of everything in case anyone did ask to see proof. It is better to be fully prepared where immigration is concerned.