Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with Intolerant Members

Trying Times

Every once in a while, you'll meet difficult ILW.com board members. Question is, are you prepared to take them on?
    Entrepreneur magazine - July 2003
    By Farry Barber

Have you ever run into a 'tough' ILW.com member? Of course you have; they come with the headache. But what many members don't realize is that 'tough' members tend to fall into four main categories"”and the sooner you learn to recognize these types, the more likely you'll be able to deal with them successfully.

The Know-It-All: What do know-it-alls value most? Someone who makes them feel important by asking questions that acknowledge their experience and qualifications. You might say "You've been in this immigration board a long time. Tell me how the laws have changed over the years. What's the greatest challenge you face now?" That way, you can get lots of valuable information while making them feel appreciated. You'll also be able to offer an intelligent solution that makes sense to them.

The Silent Type: These shy and reserved members feel uncomfortable opening up to strangers. Use some common ground to break the ice and help them let their guard down. Get more information out of them by using phrases such as "Can you expand on that?" or "What do you mean?" Ask these members some open-ended questions, then be quiet and let them do the typing. You could also say "If we had to present this to others in your situation, what would you suggest we do?" When they're actively involved, they'll open up more.

The Indecisive Member: When members are wishy-washy, take a more direct approach. Do some research so you can say "I've been thinking about your concerns and doing some homework. What if we went this way as our next step?" Many times, these members need someone to hold their hand during the process and make the opinion for them. You can also share other member posts with them. When they see that other people have put their trust in you, they will, too.

The Intolerant/Imbecile Member: These are people"”sometimes longtime members"”who try to take advantage of their access to board by demanding that you cut, delete your posts or desist posting anything that doesn't please them. Try saying something like "We will, as always, welcome your freedom of expression and we will not have any dispute with you. But we have a right to share our opinion just like you do, and, for us to remain on board, we have to be able to express our opinion. I'm sure you can understand." Don't be afraid to stand your ground. Remind them how your posts add value to the board. If they still don't see the value you offer, perhaps it's time to end the discussion.

What's the best advice for dealing with 'tough' members? Put yourself in their shoes. Be sure to listen to their concerns without interruption. Don't argue with them or get angry or frustrated. Get as much information as you can to understand each member as an individual, and then adjust your posting techniques to each situation accordingly. It's the only way to turn 'tough' members into your best readers.

copy-pasted and edited from: http://entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,309484,00.html

Trying Times

Every once in a while, you'll meet difficult ILW.com board members. Question is, are you prepared to take them on?
    Entrepreneur magazine - July 2003
    By Farry Barber

Have you ever run into a 'tough' ILW.com member? Of course you have; they come with the headache. But what many members don't realize is that 'tough' members tend to fall into four main categories"”and the sooner you learn to recognize these types, the more likely you'll be able to deal with them successfully.

The Know-It-All: What do know-it-alls value most? Someone who makes them feel important by asking questions that acknowledge their experience and qualifications. You might say "You've been in this immigration board a long time. Tell me how the laws have changed over the years. What's the greatest challenge you face now?" That way, you can get lots of valuable information while making them feel appreciated. You'll also be able to offer an intelligent solution that makes sense to them.

The Silent Type: These shy and reserved members feel uncomfortable opening up to strangers. Use some common ground to break the ice and help them let their guard down. Get more information out of them by using phrases such as "Can you expand on that?" or "What do you mean?" Ask these members some open-ended questions, then be quiet and let them do the typing. You could also say "If we had to present this to others in your situation, what would you suggest we do?" When they're actively involved, they'll open up more.

The Indecisive Member: When members are wishy-washy, take a more direct approach. Do some research so you can say "I've been thinking about your concerns and doing some homework. What if we went this way as our next step?" Many times, these members need someone to hold their hand during the process and make the opinion for them. You can also share other member posts with them. When they see that other people have put their trust in you, they will, too.

The Intolerant/Imbecile Member: These are people"”sometimes longtime members"”who try to take advantage of their access to board by demanding that you cut, delete your posts or desist posting anything that doesn't please them. Try saying something like "We will, as always, welcome your freedom of expression and we will not have any dispute with you. But we have a right to share our opinion just like you do, and, for us to remain on board, we have to be able to express our opinion. I'm sure you can understand." Don't be afraid to stand your ground. Remind them how your posts add value to the board. If they still don't see the value you offer, perhaps it's time to end the discussion.

What's the best advice for dealing with 'tough' members? Put yourself in their shoes. Be sure to listen to their concerns without interruption. Don't argue with them or get angry or frustrated. Get as much information as you can to understand each member as an individual, and then adjust your posting techniques to each situation accordingly. It's the only way to turn 'tough' members into your best readers.

copy-pasted and edited from: http://entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,309484,00.html

E.:

I believe you forgot one important category:

The Attention 'Egocentric' Member: These are the members who come to the board and copy and paste irrelevant and pointless articles just to draw the attention of others, or to make others believe how intellectual and smart they are by presenting these articles. Sometimes these members even bring up threads as old as 2002 wherein the person that asked the question should be already a U.S. citizen, but anyway, the attention seeker member will give his word of advice and will saturate the front page of the discussion board with oldated and useless immigration advice. Another trait of these members is when they pick on other members who are very liked by many others here [read Pasha Patel, 4now, etc] and try to put them down or make them look like a fool, however, just by having a few brain cells anyone can determine [even Michael :-)] that the Attention Seeker member has some issues.

Aquila:

I will, as always, welcome your freedom of expression and I will not have any dispute with you. But I have a right to share my opinion just like you do, and, for me to remain on board, I have to be able to express my opinion. I'm sure you can understand.

E.

Michael
    E; the point is that you post things completely off any topic remotely related to immigration and that is inappropriate. I may speak the truth and that may offend people afraid of the truth, but at least I stay on issues related to immigration or somehow relevent to what people are discussing.

Go Michael!

Michael:

My posts add value to the ILW.com board. They help people see things from broader perspective, make them laugh and in overall serve the Noble cause of spreading the aura of Enlightment.

E.

E; do not ignore the super moderator; I saw you posting irrelevant material and delete it -
    Michael, you are on immigration board for long. Tell me how laws have changed over the past year.
    Please do not post useless and pointless things. They do not add value but create nonsense for legitimate grints !!

Michael
    One of the most interesting developments was that I-751 divorce waivers could be adjudicated before the divorce was final. Now the divorce must be final. And just recently, border patrol agents were given the authority to deport illegals immediately without having to go to court. I suspect that this will be appealed on the basis of 8th Amendment due process clause. We'll see. Also, BCIS has implemented new changes so that interviews are often waived now if enough evidence is sent in for applications. This has rapidly improved the processing times in the past few months.