50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: i want to marry my boyfriend

hey everyone.. hopefully i get some help from here... i've been with my bf for 3 years and recently he lost all of his ID... he's been living in US for past 8 years but his visa expired like 4 years ago... If we go to court to get married what do they ask for?? and how long would it take for him to become a green card holder.. i myself am a green card resident...preety soon i should recieve a letter to apply for citizenship... what should i do...PLEASE HELP!!

hey everyone.. hopefully i get some help from here... i've been with my bf for 3 years and recently he lost all of his ID... he's been living in US for past 8 years but his visa expired like 4 years ago... If we go to court to get married what do they ask for?? and how long would it take for him to become a green card holder.. i myself am a green card resident...preety soon i should recieve a letter to apply for citizenship... what should i do...PLEASE HELP!!

What state are you in?
    Formerly Josephine Schmo

You'd better wait to marry until AFTER you get U.S. citizenship. Because he overstayed, he is probably not eligible to adjust status here. He can do probably do that once you're a U.S. citizen. [I'm not a lawyer.]

Uhhhhh, from whom do you expect this letter to remind you to apply for citizenship? You should keep track of your own immigration history and your eligibility for certain benefits.

im in NY... thanks guys... great help.. i will take care of my citizenship first...

I disagree, if you want to get married do so, but you might want to wait for citizenship to apply for him, because things go quicker as a citizen then as an LPR.

You say he has been here for 8 years? I am going to guess that he is unlawfully present? If that is the case, did he overstay a visa or did he enter without inspection - this will make a HUGE difference in how you do the processing.

www.immigrate2us.net

My suggestion to u is to marry now, file his paper after u are citizen. This will save u the process of removal of condition as hopfully by time u get ur interview ur marriage will be more than 2 years thus he will be eligible for 10 year GC instead of conditional one.

Actually he wont get an immediate visa number as a spouse of an LPR. You need to wait until you are naturalized and the backlog is about a year so actually it will be about 4 years for you to be able to be a bonifide us citizen.
    In Ny state you cant marry unless you have a valid id so your boyfriend needs to get his id perhaps from his home country consulate.

I hate to help fraudsters. However, you should marry him after getting your citizenship; otherwise they will kick your sorry a$$ with your fraudulent grint husband out of America for supporting a fraudster when you apply for naturalization.